Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:00 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,867,574 times

Advertisements

I now live in Telford, TN which is a very small place just outside Johnson City. I grew up just outside of Laurel in Calhoun and graduated from West Jones High School. I was just wondering what the area is like now as I haven't visited in a very long time. I loved it there as a kid, but things can change. We do love it here in Northeast Tennessee. It is very beautiful here with almost no crime to speak of. The winters can get pretty cold though as it was 8 degrees on Sunday night. Well if anyone can tell me something about the Laurel/West Jones area I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 06:10 PM

429 posts, read 730,123 times
I haven't lived in the area for 16 yrs. but I go "home" twice a year to see my family, all of whom still live in Jones, County. In some ways it's still the same, everybody knows everybody else, if you do something you shouldn't have done, an hour later half of the town knows via the telephone or WDAM news....LOL
The famous "S" curve on 59 is still as deadly as ever. At least know they have signs along the hwy. warning you about the dangers. The "ice house" in Laurel has been closed for awhile. The old Wal-Mart closed and they got a new SUPER WALMART across the street from where TG&Y was located. The mall is not shopping hub that it once was. So many of the chain stores closed and most of what' inside now are just little off brand stores. Most people shop in Hattiesburg @ Turtle Creek mall. The Tom & Calico Cat is still around, Charley's Catfish is still the best fish house. Shoney's is where it always was and Church's Chicken is still there. Sears closed. Krogers closed. PDI is still making the best milk shakes and hamburgers. George's sporting goods and the Wine and Spirits pkg. store and Pasq. Pizza are still in the same place they always were on 16th and so is Shipley's donuts and the Ramada Inn (still the only place for high school reunions) The old Gibson's store now houses the medicaid office and some of the Jones Co. school system employees.
Did you know that in 2002 when a tornado hit WJHS and the middle school that the high school kids met in the old walmart on 16th that was vacant?
Quinn's pharmacy is still the unique little drugstore where you can get your kids RX flavored and pick up a really nice gift all at the same time.
Dixie is still the "blue collar" cc and Laurel cc is still for the "white collar". Each May Dixie continues to have the "Oilmans tourn." Sanderson Farms continues to grow as does Howard Ind. they employee a lg. part of Jones Co. residents. I noticed a change when they had elections this year. Alex Hodge was elected Sheriff of Jones Co. I never thought I would see the day a they elected someone under the age of 40. Personally, I think he will do just fine! He's a local boy, he's smart, he was in the service so that tells you about his character, married to his h.s. sweetheart with a family. Like I said, it's changed, but in so many was it's still the same. It's a great place to raise a family...
If you are interested in knowing about any place in particular, just DM me. If I don't know the answer, it shouldn't be too hard to find out.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:13 PM

I appreciate the info. It's good to hear Phillip's Drive Inn (PDI) is still around. How about CG's and Holloways Dairy Bar? I pick up a little, talking high school sports online with some young people. It's good to hear that it's still a nice place to live, but I would never give up the mountains of northeast TN to move back. I will say though that the place is always with me; it was a great place to grow up.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:58 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,058 times
I lived in the same area as you did off and on for years. Most of my family is still there. Holloway's was still there a few months ago.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:21 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
as a Minnesotan, I would like to put a "plug" in for Laurel MS.
I have never been there, but have researched retirement in Mississippi through the "Certified Retirement City" program run by the state that has recieved national recognition as one of the best state programs nationwide.

Cities apply and then undergo a 3 month interview. They are rated on things important to retirees on the following------cost of living,low taxes, low crime,medical facilities, recreation, and if they are a "warm and welcoming " community.

The State Program started with 19 and now have 21. The 2 latest additions were Brandon and LAUREL .

I have not checked Laurel out yet, but the other ones I have by phone are very friendly.
If you state the date you would like to visit, a host is assigned to the retiree to act as a guide and you are assured the host is not a realtor trying to sell you property. I have recieved personal phone calls from the hosts offering any info I might need and willing to be a guide if I should check it out for retirement.

I think it is great that Laurel is now in the program and being they qualified, many criteria that retirees are looking for might apply to other people relocating.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 PM

I will always think well of Laurel, MS, but when the time comes they will plant my crusty old behind in Jonesborough, TN. By the way, auntbee, I grew up in Calhoun on Meador Road if you know where that is. How about you?

Old 01-24-2008, 09:00 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,058 times
I know exactly where Meador Road is. I grew up (off and on) on Grafton Rd off Flynt Rd. I know I'm a lot older than you because I went to school at Calhoun, but didn't graduate from there. They didn't have West Jones way back then. My brother and sister graduated from West Jones a long time ago.

We moved a lot when I was growing up, but we always made our way back to Laurel eventually. I graduated from high school in Jackson and lived there most of my adult life. We did move back to Laurel for a while though.

I could eat one of those good hamburgers from Holloways right now.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 PM

My 4th grade year was the last year Calhoun was a high school. I loved Calhoun; it's still my favorite school to this day. Caffeteria in the basement, they don't make em like that anymore. I know right about where you lived, lovely area. It's sad to think that no place will ever be like that used to be. Sweet innocent days that almost seem more like a dream than a memory.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:06 AM

36 posts, read 170,999 times
I don't live there, but my daughter and her family do, so I have visited there a lot! It's a great place to raise a family. Lots of sports activities, lively churches. A little short on great places to eat, but plenty of Mexican and Chinese restaurants. Not far from Hattiesburg which DOES have great malls, excellent restaurants, but lots more traffic congestion. I suppose that's an expected trade-off. When did Kroger close? Jitney Jungle closed, but gas attendant said the owner of the bldg. is going to open a Ramey's or a Country Market. That will be nice. Wal-Mart can be a pain because of so many people there. Not a quick in and out.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:18 PM

A friend of mine told me that Laurel has a growing Hispanic population now. That would certainly make it somewhat different than when I lived there so long ago. I moved away in 1978.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi