Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2007, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 16,208 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Alabama and have lived in Memphis for 2 years. It is very safe here in Alabama but when I lived in Memphis I had my car broken into and stolen twice. I want to know how safe Tupelo is, what there is to do there and the safest parts of Tupelo to live in? Or if you know of any safe surrounding areas to live in? And should I be concerned about my car being stolen in Tupelo? Also, any help on cheap places to live that are safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Dog

4 posts, read 25,370 times
Default Tupelo, MS area

Below is a prior quote of mine, then next is a word on my hometown from an individual living in the Pacific NW w/ friends in Corinth, MS (about 45 miles north of Tupelo). Hope it helps. Sorry I had to cut and paste. New to the blog scene. I am sure there is a better way. Anyway, see below...

Hello!

Have you considered Corinth, MS in the NE portion of the state? Great people, close to Pickwick Lake where many affluent Memphians recreate, and quaint small town with many amenities and growing. I moved my family to Corinth 4 years ago to join other family members and love it. Commute to Memphis 3 hrs roundtrip per day for work just so I can enjoy the quality of life I get in Corinth. The towns you have mentioned are nice enough but growing rapidly as suburbs of Memphis. I wonder how much charm and security remains after the massive transformations NW Mississippi has seen in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4kidz View Post
Normally, I would not be responding to folks regarding the South or Southeast, as I am from the Pacific NW and have never lived east of Texas. However, I have in-laws and hubby's family in Iowa, some relatives in SC and in NC. This past year, some good friends we've known for 20 years moved from San Diego (where they'd lived for about 25 years - Navy guy) to Corinth. They LOVE it. Low cost of living (well, of course, almost any place is lower than most areas of San Diego County). They said the people are great, they got a house cheap - even by other folks standards - and they both got jobs very quickly. They have family in FL and MO, so were sorta going closer to 'home' anyhow. They looked all over for a good place for pre-retirees. There is no 'gang' problem, per se. Of course, if you are used to humidity - then it won't much bother you there. I know this isn't giving you much detail, but it is a positive testimony from someone whose friends are loving it there. These folks, by the way, have grown kids and even some grand kids now, so they took that into consideration when looking for a neighborhood that was safe and friendly, and pretty new. Good luck from a Pacific NW gal who is looking to get into a sunnier climate once again, even if it measn to the southern part of Oregon. We have 4 grown kids - 3 of whom are here and one of our granddaughters is also here, so don't want to go too far, but we are drowning here in the Portland area and getting achey and creaky!!! Miss that sunshine. ;O)

Old 09-06-2007, 06:19 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,639,408 times
Have you considered visiting Tupelo? I drove from Texas over labor day just to see the town and surrounding communities. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary for a smaller town. I will head back in a few months to spend some quality time in Tupelo to get a feel for it. Ive done some research on crime and statistically Tupelo has its share of crime but, nothing on the order of the bad side of a major city. Folks seemed fairly friendly even when they knew I scouting for a possible relocation. Id plan a week to get to know Tupelo for myself before I'd move.

Squidlo

Old 01-03-2008, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 21,901 times
Tupelo is not that bad at all. But I would live in Saltillo(Well I really did live there for like 5yrs). It's right outside of Tupelo and the schools are better and housing is cheaper.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 30,589 times
I've lived in the Tupelo area for 48 years. I've never once had a problem with crime here. Of course like everywhere in the country there are drugs and your normal petty crime. As harmonsd stated I'd consider the Saltillo, Mooreville or Mantachie area. These are small towns within ten miles of Tupelo. You'll find taxes lower there.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 13,574 times
My family is also considering a move to Tupelo for my husbands job. We currently live in Bartlett, TN (right outside of Memphis) - we love Bartlett, but it's too close to Memphis. We have 2 children - 8 & 11. I really think the move would be for the best for them, so I am hoping the transfer goes through. We won't know for about a month. We did ride down this weekend and checked out the area. I really liked it. It seemed very nice. The Schools in Satillo looked beautiful. New! - However, I am not sure I would want to live in Satillo - seems nice, but a little to far away from the ballfields. (my son plays baseball and my daughter plays soccer and also takes gymnastics) I think I would prefer to live in Tupelo. Where are the nicer areas to live in Tupelo? How are the schools in Tupelo?

Old 01-23-2008, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 30,589 times
Saltillo has one of the nicest baseball complexes around. Can't comment on the soccer Fields but none of my kids have played. Tupelo does allow kids from outside the city to play Park & Rec sports. They have a nice soccer complex and it's just a short ten minute drive.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:58 PM

52 posts, read 214,587 times
Saltillo is the best choice for schools and the area in general. Housing costs sky-rocketed with Toyota's appearance but that was expected.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:11 PM

6 posts, read 40,107 times
I agree Saltillo is the best place to live and has the best Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi