Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 08:13 PM

3,378 posts, read 4,997,713 times

Advertisements

City of Oxford removed the flag today.

However, good chance the issue will get kicked over to the Legislature or public vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 08:21 PM

4,495 posts, read 4,575,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
City of Oxford removed the flag today.
Good for Oxford. Young people always seem to get it right.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:17 PM

3,378 posts, read 4,997,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
This wasn't "young people". It was the city aldermen.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:31 PM

16,506 posts, read 26,193,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
This wasn't "young people". It was the city aldermen.
He must be a yankee.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:39 AM

799 posts, read 1,061,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Except young people didn't decide to do this.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:58 AM

25,438 posts, read 17,128,344 times
Young people are tools used by political parties. They can be made to believe almost anything, including the idea that political parties want their "young fresh ideas".

Old 08-19-2015, 03:15 PM

4,495 posts, read 4,575,128 times
Oxford is a small town with a big college in it. Undoubtedly the college kids will have an effect on the politics of the town. There's a reason most of the college towns around the country tend to have a more liberal slant than other towns in the state.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:47 PM

16,506 posts, read 26,193,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Young people are tools used by political parties. They can be made to believe almost anything, including the idea that political parties want their "young fresh ideas".
Young people are more progressive than the generation before them. And they always seem to get it right.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:15 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,569,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
No. It was a war fought to insure property rights in human chattel. Our interests in that war heinously flew in the face of the Constitution. That's not a heritage worth celebrating (see Nazi Germany). If the demographic history of this country were completely flipped -- that black's colonized the US, held whites in slavery for virtually 100 years, treated them as second-rate and sub-human through the remainder of the 19th century, and then systematically sought to segregate against them through law and social device in the 20th, then you too would want a flag symbolizing 200+ years of abject oppression removed from the public sector.

"We will take the flag down if you will start supporting yourselves."

What an extremely stupid and ignorant statement. Shame on you.
Actually it was a black man that owned the first black slave in America. I'm sorry you don't like my heritage which is both German and Southern. I find your post untruthful and offensive. So should you be banned if we are banning all offensive things? You see in a free country one has to make allowances and ignore what offends you sometimes when you are treading on another persons right to what they like. I am very proud of my Southern heritage. I think black people would better serve their best interests if they concentrated on teaching their children to have respect for others and stopped trying to bash every thing about the South. The South is the best friend they have. As I said, if they don't like it here, let them go live in other places and they would be back shortly.

Now about that "stupid" statement I am supposed to be ashamed about. The Civil War freed the slaves more than 150 years ago. Why do we still support such a high percentage of blacks when they have more than equal rights to get a job? Nobody says you have to hire a certain percentage of whites. What if we said the professional football and basketball teams have to have a representative number of whites on them? We whites are always the ones having to give up what should be rights to placate others. I don't recall ever owning a confederate flag because it isn't safe to have one but calling it a hate symbol when slavery was here since before this country was formed is wrong and offensive and beyond rude.

So what do some of you want to use to replace the confederate flags? The Mexican Flag? We have a neighbor flying a flag that says, "Don't tread on me." I haven't looked that one up yet. Everything seems to be all right except the confederate flag. When you replace or destroy everything there is to do with the South, you won't have a country worth living in any more because the South is NOW and has always been the backbone of America.

The book will be called, "How to destroy a country by bashing every thing that is good in it." God bless America. American by birth and Southern by the grace of God.

Last edited by NCN; 08-19-2015 at 09:30 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 02:57 AM

25 posts, read 25,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Actually it was a black man that owned the first black slave in America. I'm sorry you don't like my heritage which is both German and Southern. I find your post untruthful and offensive. So should you be banned if we are banning all offensive things? You see in a free country one has to make allowances and ignore what offends you sometimes when you are treading on another persons right to what they like. I am very proud of my Southern heritage. I think black people would better serve their best interests if they concentrated on teaching their children to have respect for others and stopped trying to bash every thing about the South. The South is the best friend they have. As I said, if they don't like it here, let them go live in other places and they would be back shortly.

Now about that "stupid" statement I am supposed to be ashamed about. The Civil War freed the slaves more than 150 years ago. Why do we still support such a high percentage of blacks when they have more than equal rights to get a job? Nobody says you have to hire a certain percentage of whites. What if we said the professional football and basketball teams have to have a representative number of whites on them? We whites are always the ones having to give up what should be rights to placate others. I don't recall ever owning a confederate flag because it isn't safe to have one but calling it a hate symbol when slavery was here since before this country was formed is wrong and offensive and beyond rude.

So what do some of you want to use to replace the confederate flags? The Mexican Flag? We have a neighbor flying a flag that says, "Don't tread on me." I haven't looked that one up yet. Everything seems to be all right except the confederate flag. When you replace or destroy everything there is to do with the South, you won't have a country worth living in any more because the South is NOW and has always been the backbone of America.

The book will be called, "How to destroy a country by bashing every thing that is good in it." God bless America. American by birth and Southern by the grace of God.
You say God bless America yet you support a cause that almost broke America apart?
Confederates logic.
Amazing how you made everything about race.
Yup.
Pretty much shows who you are.
The flag is going down, you can whine and cry. Better brace up buddy.

Bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi