Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 08:35 PM

799 posts, read 1,064,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Says the initiative died. But there's more supposedly coming.
Read that today. Supposedly they never went and picked up it up because the AG changed the wording and they didn't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 08:43 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Read that today. Supposedly they never went and picked up it up because the AG changed the wording and they didn't like it.
Makes you wonder what wording he changed.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:41 PM

799 posts, read 1,064,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Makes you wonder what wording he changed.
They wanted it worded so it described flag with the confederate symbol. Jim Hood changed the wording to say "current state flag." They didn't like it because they said the state could change the flag before it went to the ballot.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:16 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
For God's sake...Time to change the flag. All together now..."it's bad for business."

I understand that a lot of Caucasian-Mississippians might feel that some African-Americans haven't done their part in improving the community (i.e. crime, illegitimate births, school performance), so why should Caucasians be the one to sacrifice something they love. To be clear...I'm Not agreeing with that; rather, I'm imagining what it is that's really bothering those so much who are determined to hold onto a flag.

The answer is....among other things .... because the flag, however gorgeous...and it is gorgeous to me... is Ridiculous in 2015. It really is. At this point, Mississippi cares about three things: Nissan; Toyota, and Rolls Royce. So....please let the flag go - by replacing the blue X with a blue cross of some sort, that looks nice and tasteful and symmetrical but in no way religious. That way, the flag keeps its beauty by and large, and we can go back to focusing on attracting the next Toyota.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:42 PM

Well, that's just the problem. Alot of these people in the change the flag camp are willing to tear down Civil War Confederate statues and memorials on top of it.

When do you sell out history and identity for a few good economic years?

Old 09-11-2015, 02:43 PM

68 posts, read 121,624 times
keep the flag!

Old 09-11-2015, 11:10 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
Other states in the south manage to honor their history while having a flag other than the confederate flag. That tells me that Mississippi can do the same. Try running a business and having the flag in your office. It's awkward because you don't want any of your staff to feel uncomfortable, but with the flag it's hard to avoid feeling awkward. It's totally unnecessary. The state government should represent all its citizens in my opinion. Maybe they could start by having two flags, so cities and business could take their pick depending on what their constituents, employees and customers prefer. I don't see it as erasing history. History will still be there regardless of the flag. But it will be removing a barrier that is there needlessly.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:57 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
In Georgia ,the flag was removed but that was not enough. Now they are attacking the Stone Mountain monument. There is also a drive to remove certain statues and paintings from the capital. It won't stop with the flag.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:10 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
In Georgia ,the flag was removed but that was not enough. Now they are attacking the Stone Mountain monument. There is also a drive to remove certain statues and paintings from the capital. It won't stop with the flag.
I think you are right, and I thank you for reminding us of that.
It is ALWAYS, "We have come a long way, but there is still much more to be done......"

Maybe a lot of people feel as I do: "Enough is enough. If the choice of colors and the arrangement of them on our state flag irritates you so much, maybe you should just go somewhere else."

Old 09-12-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I think you are right, and I thank you for reminding us of that.
It is ALWAYS, "We have come a long way, but there is still much more to be done......"

Maybe a lot of people feel as I do: "Enough is enough. If the choice of colors and the arrangement of them on our state flag irritates you so much, maybe you should just go somewhere else."
Mississippi is where this whole thing will hit a fever pitch, or finally peter out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi