Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 11:20 AM

25 posts, read 25,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Well, I've always thought about what it would be like to be the Obsolete Man.
No. Your civil war obsession is not a parallel with the obsolete man.
A library has never killed anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 01:56 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I'll put it this way. I've had a deep interest in the Civil War since I was about 13. When I decided to jump into the idea of Grad School I figured I would do it in a subject I am deeply passionate about. I had Ole Miss recommended to me because of the history of the place, and I later found out their Grad Department offered programs specifically suited to the Civil War. I guess you could call it "tickling my fancy". The Colonel Reb stuff (a flag) I bought there as an impulse buy at some store.
Speaking from personal experience, if you wish to get a job as an historian, especially on a college faculty, you need to attend the best school you can get into. Where you get your graduate degree, and for history, it has to be a PhD, and who your mentor(s) is (are) matters in having any realistic chance at getting a job.

Mississippi isn't on the latest US News ranking of top modern US history programs nor on any of the graduateprograms.com student based rankings. It is listed #50 out of 150 history graduate programs on the general list of phds.org list, so it's definitely a middle of the pack school. IMO, if you are forking over your own $$$ to attend, you would do better doing something else. If they're giving you a fellowship that covers tuition, books, and a stipend, it will be a good experience for not all that much money.

The history program has to have real breadth, too, not just strength on the Civil War, because as colleges teach less history, faculty members have to be able to teach the broad range of American history from the Early National Period to the Reagan Revolution. When you've got a job, have published enough articles, and gotten tenure at a major college/university, then you can indulge in your love of the Civil War by teaching a class on it. Maybe if you put out some really good articles/monographs, you can teach a graduate seminar, but don't plan on that happening. Most hiring in higher ed these days is adjuncts who get paid paltry sums.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:10 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
If your future employment turns out to be History of The Civil War, you may be out of a job after awhile. History is being rewritten and if it is unpleasant to some individuals, it is deleted.
Dang!, I wish that weren't true.

But it is....

Old 09-25-2015, 12:29 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
God this is a pain.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:33 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
You would move to Oxford just because there are people that sympathize with the current State flag and with the old Confederate memorials?
If you've ever been to the town or interacted with people on the campus of the college there, you wouldn't find this surprising. He's not alone. "Ole Miss" attracts a lot of people with Civil War fascination syndrome.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:27 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,524 times
Ole Miss votes Tuesday on Confederate symbol | WJTV.com

Old 10-19-2015, 11:19 AM

25 posts, read 25,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Excellent.
Oxford should set the pace for others.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
There will be quite a bit of opposition I think.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:20 PM

Also, Ken Burns will be stopping by.

Renowned filmmaker Ken Burns to speak at Ole Miss

Old 10-20-2015, 05:57 PM

The ASB will be in session about now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi