Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:01 PM

25,504 posts, read 17,212,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
........Gay people have been getting married in Canada for over 10 years. It hasn't changed heterosexual marriage one bit. Nada............
You are wrong.
Quote:
Marriage remains one of the most important social institutions in Canada, but overall the marriage rate in Canada is declining and the traditional portrait of a family is being transformed. In 2011, 67 per cent of Canadian families were headed by married couples — down from 70 per cent in 2001, according to Statistics Canada. In 2011, for the first time in Canadian history, there were also more single-person households than couple households with children. Common-law couple households, and same-sex couple households are also on the rise, while the percentage of opposite-sex married couples declines.
Marriage and Divorce - The Canadian Encyclopedia

Gay people are not out to destroy marriage, they are simply helping destroy it. I am not opposed to gay marriage. I don't care whether gay people marry each other or not. But it is a fact that marriage is being trivialized, and gay marriage is part of it.
It was never about love; it's about benefits - Social Security, insurance, taxes and so forth.

Just to expand a bit:
FDR introduced what became Welfare back in the 30's. At that time there was a "man in the house" rule which meant that if a woman lived with a man, then both incomes counted.
After the Civil Rights Act, the man in the house rule was successfully challenged. NOW, all of a sudden there was a real advantage to living with a man but not being married - it meant the woman qualified for benefits.
Today, most young people I know have the child first, and then get married, maybe. That way, the lower paid woman can qualify for subsidies and benefits even though the couple is living together as man & wife. In other words, it cheaper.
In that way, welfare and the man in the house rule helped to destroy marriage, and to destroy the black family structure, too, because black people qualified for assistance in far greater numbers than white people. So black people were quick to take advantage of an obvious benefit and white people soon followed.
The government did not set out to destroy marriage. The destruction of marriage was a side show and was never intended.

So stow all the condescending comments about who looks "foolish, uniformed and parochial".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 06:32 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,512,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You are wrong.
Marriage and Divorce - The Canadian Encyclopedia

Gay people are not out to destroy marriage, they are simply helping destroy it. I am not opposed to gay marriage. I don't care whether gay people marry each other or not. But it is a fact that marriage is being trivialized, and gay marriage is part of it.
It was never about love; it's about benefits - Social Security, insurance, taxes and so forth.

Just to expand a bit:
FDR introduced what became Welfare back in the 30's. At that time there was a "man in the house" rule which meant that if a woman lived with a man, then both incomes counted.
After the Civil Rights Act, the man in the house rule was successfully challenged. NOW, all of a sudden there was a real advantage to living with a man but not being married - it meant the woman qualified for benefits.
Today, most young people I know have the child first, and then get married, maybe. That way, the lower paid woman can qualify for subsidies and benefits even though the couple is living together as man & wife. In other words, it cheaper.
In that way, welfare and the man in the house rule helped to destroy marriage, and to destroy the black family structure, too, because black people qualified for assistance in far greater numbers than white people. So black people were quick to take advantage of an obvious benefit and white people soon followed.
The government did not set out to destroy marriage. The destruction of marriage was a side show and was never intended.

So stow all the condescending comments about who looks "foolish, uniformed and parochial".
Seriously? There is NO link between heterosexuals deciding not to get married and gay people wanting to get married.

In Canada one of the reasons people may not be getting married in as greater numbers is because of our Common Law. I am not " married " but my partner and I are in every other way " married " in the eyes of the law because we are Common Law. Gay people getting married in Canada are doing it out of love. If they've lived together for 2 years before they get married they already have all the benefits etc that a married couple gets.

I myself don't see a need to go through with a marriage ceremony etc. Some people do and I applaud that they have the right to this.

Your understanding, at least about how it works in Canada actually PROVES my point. I asked people to look outside of the US to see how it works in other countries and perhaps learn from that.
You obviously haven't understood your " research " into Canada.

It's sad in a way that you see the world in such a money grubbing way. Marriage is not about love, people only want to take advantage of the system. it's Gays fault for heterosexuals failures etc. Really sad.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Seriously? There is NO link between heterosexuals deciding not to get married and gay people wanting to get married.

In Canada one of the reasons people may not be getting married in as greater numbers is because of our Common Law. I am not " married " but my partner and I are in every other way " married " in the eyes of the law because we are Common Law. Gay people getting married in Canada are doing it out of love. If they've lived together for 2 years before they get married they already have all the benefits etc that a married couple gets.

I myself don't see a need to go through with a marriage ceremony etc. Some people do and I applaud that they have the right to this.

Your understanding, at least about how it works in Canada actually PROVES my point. I asked people to look outside of the US to see how it works in other countries and perhaps learn from that.
You obviously haven't understood your " research " into Canada.

It's sad in a way that you see the world in such a money grubbing way. Marriage is not about love, people only want to take advantage of the system. it's Gays fault for heterosexuals failures etc. Really sad.
You either have not read or have not understood what I was saying, and your condescension continues. Everything you disagree with is "sad".
I guess that makes you just a very "sad" person.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:25 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,105,512 times
I'm amazed that equal rights for those in same gender relationships didn't come for another 50 years after they came for everyone else in regard to religion, race, ethnicity, etc. Think about that...half a century.

Hopefully, if only for furthering Mississippi's attractiveness as a state for business, researchers, innovators, jobs, etc...the politicians will avoid the mistakes of the horrible politicians 50 and 60 years ago.

It appears that Phillip Gunn - Speaker of the House -is a sophisticated thinker whose top priority is advancing the state forward as a center for growth and opportunity, a la Texas and Florida. Perhaps he could take the lead again on this issue as he's done on eliminating the personal income tax, and on getting a new flag, in the interest of making the state as attractive as possible to business.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:42 PM

799 posts, read 1,063,055 times
It took almost a 100 years before blacks got equal rights in the 1960's.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:08 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,854,033 times
It is in God's hands now. We will all know on Judgement Day how HE feels about Gay marriage.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:16 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,688,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
It is in God's hands now. We will all know on Judgement Day how HE feels about Gay marriage.
you mean she?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:37 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,787,646 times
Now that the issue has been "settled", I guess the big corporations are "ready to do business with Mississippi", eh?

Old 06-30-2015, 03:06 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,787,646 times
A cheer for Ms. Barnette.

Grenada County Clerk quits early over same sex marriage ruling - WSMV Channel 4

Old 06-30-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think it's kind of funny, but Dagnabbit if that's how she feels then fine! It's a whole lot better then issuing licenses while staring down applicants with the evil eye.....

Someone else can probably use the job, anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi