Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:38 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times

Advertisements

Now that the Supreme Court has declared that all states must allow same-sex pseudomarriage, how long will it take for the so-called Christian, God-fearing justices of the peace to decide they have to "follow the law" and start issuing "marriage" licenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 01:14 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Now that the Supreme Court has declared that all states must allow same-sex pseudomarriage, how long will it take for the so-called Christian, God-fearing justices of the peace to decide they have to "follow the law" and start issuing "marriage" licenses?
Or, how long will it take before we find out that it was all a bait-and-switch act, and what the LGBTQ industry really wanted was a way to destroy marriage. They will now begin to ridicule marriage, labeling it as an out-dated, conservative, prehistoric tradition that has no place among civilized people.

They will succeed, I think. The importance of marriage has been diminished for some time, starting with the it's-my-body group who claimed the right to have children they can not support, and now gaining momentum with the LGBTQ group, who has the right to marry anyone of any sex.

Also coming: Three way marriages.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:55 PM

401 posts, read 535,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Or, how long will it take before we find out that it was all a bait-and-switch act, and what the LGBTQ industry really wanted was a way to destroy marriage. They will now begin to ridicule marriage, labeling it as an out-dated, conservative, prehistoric tradition that has no place among civilized people.

They will succeed, I think. The importance of marriage has been diminished for some time, starting with the it's-my-body group who claimed the right to have children they can not support, and now gaining momentum with the LGBTQ group, who has the right to marry anyone of any sex.

Mississippi, ladies and gentlemen

Old 06-26-2015, 03:05 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
What part of 'public servant' confuses you?

If you want to work for the state, your will do your job and serve all who come to your for the service you are paid to provide. If you can't handle not discriminating, then don't work as a public servant.

How hard is that to comprehend?

Really, it's astonishingly easy to understand. If you're a Christian who refuses to work on Sundays, don't get a job working for the NFL and then bleat that you'll only work Monday night games. If you're an observant Jew or Muslim who wants nothing to observe your strict dietary laws, don't get a job at the BBQ joint and whine about all the pork around the place. If you're a pacifist, don't enlist and then pout over being deployed to a combat zone. And if you're a justice of the peace, either marry those who come to you for legal marriages or resign your position.

Don't throw a pity-party for those who are expected to do their job as public servants but only want to serve those members of the public they happen to like.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:10 PM

799 posts, read 1,064,714 times
Jim Hood is already stalling. Says he can't order marriage licenses until the 5th circuit lifted the stay. I thought a supreme court ruling automatically did that. But one thing to remember the ruling did say pastors did not have to perform same sex marriages.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:12 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Honestly, worrying about such things is a complete waste of time. Let people marry and go about their business. This is such a non-issue and the only reason it gets so much airtime is because of people who go off the rails like the world is ending when in fact absolutely zero in their lives are affected by it

Old 06-26-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Honestly, worrying about such things is a complete waste of time. Let people marry and go about their business. This is such a non-issue and the only reason it gets so much airtime is because of people who go off the rails like the world is ending when in fact absolutely zero in their lives are affected by it
Agreed.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:42 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Heterosexuals have been destroying marriage for a long time. Bristol Palin is pregnant with her second child and is still unmarried. Many people trade spouses as often and easily as they trade automobiles. I wouldn't consider "three way marriages" anything to smile about.
I wish some public servants would have the guts to resign rather than do something they don't like.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:09 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
I just got off the phone with my stepmother calling from Hernando congratulating me and my long time husband (29 years), she was the one who pushed me to finally come out to my father so many years ago and she was expressing how thrilled she was with the news. Also how what she terms as her backward state will obviously push back but eventually be brought into line. I hope so- she says she is a rare progressive there in a sea of ultra conservatives.

I will add though that a gay couple who are great friends of ours did travel to Mississippi last year and had what they (as all proper gays exclaim haha) describe as a fabulous time! So I hold out that there are plenty of good welcoming folks there to help bring the state along with the rising tide of equality and good will elsewhere. Maybe we will visit sometime soon.

Change happens and sometimes it turns out to be a very good thing.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I just got off the phone with my stepmother calling from Hernando congratulating me and my long time husband (29 years), she was the one who pushed me to finally come out to my father so many years ago and she was expressing how thrilled she was with the news. Also how what she terms as her backward state will obviously push back but eventually be brought into line. I hope so- she says she is a rare progressive there in a sea of ultra conservatives.

I will add though that a gay couple who are great friends of ours did travel to Mississippi last year and had what they (as all proper gays exclaim haha) describe as a fabulous time! So I hold out that there are plenty of good welcoming folks there to help bring the state along with the rising tide of equality and good will elsewhere. Maybe we will visit sometime soon.

Change happens and sometimes it turns out to be a very good thing.
People here pretty much don't care if you're gay or not. Main problem with the south in general, they don't like to be told what to do by anybody whether it's right or wrong. Your mother is right, the state will push back and they will lose like always. Hernando is diffrently conservative compared to Southaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi