Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:00 AM

2,500 posts, read 4,409,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post

Okay, like about every town along an open-access strip in close proximity to the interstate, Winona does have at least one nice chain hotel you can stay in. The Holiday Inn Express at 413 SE Frontage Road is a 100 room hotel with a 5 ft deep pool, a 24 hr business center, free wifi for standard and business suites, free standard internet services, wired internet in all rooms, air conditioning, an ice machine, with 24 hour housekeeping and laundry services, dry-cleaning/pickup laundry, and a 24 hr fitness center with one treadmill, a cycle, and an elliptical machine.
What's with the advertisement? You work for Holiday Inn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 12:13 AM

37 posts, read 50,732 times
I was born in Greenville and lived there until I was 17, until my family couldn't take it anymore and moved us to Florida. It's sad because the house my grandparents built and the one I grew up in is still there, with all those memories, but someone else lives in it now and the neighborhood is likely deteriorated.

Growing up there as a kid, something didn't "seem quite right." I think it was the racial segregation in the schools. It really sunk into your bones. I don't remember being incredibly bored there however. I somehow always found stuff to do, whether it was visiting the blues clubs, going to the Yatch club with my grandparents, or sledding on the levy during those rare snows. The shopping was pretty abhorrent. McRae's, anyone?

I remember visiting Tupelo and thinking it was worse, but my memory is hazy on exactly why.

I live in California now - the central valley - and some parts actually remind me of Greenville. I definitely got nostalgic watching Anthony Bourdain when he visited the Delta. I'd kill for a Doe's hot tamale.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:46 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,650,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
Think the answer is Moss Point
I grew up there. Went to school there. Have to agree. Pascagoula and Moss Point are not great places.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:19 AM

513 posts, read 893,881 times
Greenville has to top the list. I've lived here my entire life but have travelled all over the state and been thru every village/town/city/clump of houses with a post office in the state. We just had another homicide last night at 82 and Colorado, not sure what happened yet but odds are "locals killing locals".

I am glad my family is looking to move out of here soon. We will shut our business of over 35 years and walk away, it is simply that bad. Not just criminal activity like people normally think of, but the rampant corruption in local government is worse daily. Not one sitting elected official is out for the good of the area, they all want only what is best for them. they promote "buy local" but refuse to even let local companies give a quote on purchases and instead deal with Jackson or other areas, often at a HIGHER price than local would be and definitely at a longer service time. It is not just my business that has seen this either, I know several other local businesses that are shunned simply because they will not kick back under the table.

oh and see Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-25-2015 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: add link

Old 09-11-2015, 10:18 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,741,868 times
I think one reason for Greenville's decline is that it was slow to diversify its economy (i.e. industrialize). What industry it did get is largely long gone.

Bike Maker Closes Plant, but Ex-Worker Says Thanks for Ride - latimes

Former U-S Axminster Carpet Mill Comes Down | Delta Daily News

There are more vacant buildings in the industrial park on the north side of town.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:10 PM

4 posts, read 9,186 times
Clarksdale. Greenville at least has some neighborhoods south of Tennessee Gas Line that are OK. There is almost nowhere to live in C'dale outside of the area around the golf course.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:40 AM

240 posts, read 342,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
No, This is not a Mississippi bashing thread. It's an opinion thread. What, in your opinion, is the worst city in Mississippi?

In my opinion? Clarksdale. This is one sad, miserable, run-down place with a huge crime problem.
C'mon, man. This is not problem of people there. The problem is lack of jobs, even minimum wage job.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:44 AM

25,389 posts, read 17,066,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USERXXXX View Post
C'mon, man. This is not problem of people there. The problem is lack of jobs, even minimum wage job.
That's always the problem, isn't it? I mean everywhere in the world.

If there were enough jobs, Timbuktu might be a good place to live. Clarksdale, too.
We see people from outside the state sign on all the time and make comments about Mississippi's lack of good paying jobs. Then they offer up some half-baked platitude that, to them, seems to "solve the problem".

We even had someone who suggested that we legalize pot so we could attract smarter people....

Old 09-18-2015, 02:57 PM

3,377 posts, read 4,993,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's always the problem, isn't it? I mean everywhere in the world.

If there were enough jobs, Timbuktu might be a good place to live. Clarksdale, too.
We see people from outside the state sign on all the time and make comments about Mississippi's lack of good paying jobs. Then they offer up some half-baked platitude that, to them, seems to "solve the problem".

We even had someone who suggested that we legalize pot so we could attract smarter people....
Having passed through Tunica to about halfway to Clarksdale last year it was pretty scary. But on the flip side it's a beautiful drive turning east through the Delta towards Senatobia.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:05 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,377,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardystreet View Post
Clarksdale. Greenville at least has some neighborhoods south of Tennessee Gas Line that are OK. There is almost nowhere to live in C'dale outside of the area around the golf course.
Forgot about the area around the country club. I will agree that is a nice area. Lyon is pretty decent, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi