U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 10:20 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,951,102 times

Advertisements

I read an article recently that Starkville is doing an extreme makeover of Hwy 12, the main commercial street through town (i.e. landscaped median, banners, designer street lamps, etc).

There is already a movement in the legislature to fund a remaking of Hwy 12 along the edge of Mississippi State's campus, converting the road from a divided highway to a walkable, tree-lined avenue (a la Chapel Hill, NC presumably).

I also just read that Starkville is adding 500 new "call-center" jobs, which is on top of all the new jobs by the Columbus airport, 15 minutes from Starkville, which has put Columbus into the top 10 micropolitan areas in the nation for economic strength.

I noticed the other day that neighboring Ackerman and East Webster schools both landed in the state's top 10 schools for test scores (see elementary, middle and high schools ranked in schooldigger.com.) Also on the list is Caledonia, just north of Columbus.

...Which leads me to wondering...Is Starkville beginning to transition from sleepy college town to robust, economically growing small city?

And will Starkville begin to compete with and surpass the best small cities in the state, such as Tupelo, Oxford, Hattiesburg, Hernando, Madison, Ocean Springs, Brookhaven, Laurel, Columbus, Diamondhead, Pass Christian, etc?

I've thought for a while that if Starkville expanded their downtown, did an extreme makeover of the main drag Hwy 12, and built a large, scenic lake just outside town...it could really become a great place to live (rather than just a place for a college, etc).

Great size, fine weather, college sports, and numerous impressive residential areas on the south side of town...and easy drive to nice towns like Tupelo, Tuscaloosa, Columbus etc and an easy drive right down Hwy 25 to Jackson, and over to Birmingham or up to Memphis etc.

I think we may be looking at Starkville through a different lens in a coupe of of decades, from college town to bustling, small city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 05:49 PM

324 posts, read 397,410 times
I wish them well. Would be nice to have another good town worth visiting in the state.

I just hope it doesnt become just another town like the good ones you mentioned. Ive been to all the good towns in MS, and with the exception of the coastal towns and to some extent Oxford & Tupelo, they all seem to be a repeat of each other. Each main drag has exactly the same retail and dining.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:38 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,497,910 times
The cities & towns in Mississippi that have major colleges (Starkville, Oxford, Hattiesburg, etc.) are at a distinct advantage due to the universities being a good provider of quality jobs and for the continued expansion of student enrollment. It is a nice luxury to have and one that puts them near the top of Mississippi towns IMO.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:44 AM

240 posts, read 319,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
I also just read that Starkville is adding 500 new "call-center" jobs, which is on top of all the new jobs by the Columbus airport, 15 minutes from Starkville, which has put Columbus into the top 10 micropolitan areas in the nation for economic strength.
I have to say that Call center should be the best job creator for Mississippi. They do not need additional skills or additional training. If you have middle class diploma and work it out. You can get the job and move up.

Byrant administration should focus on bring those jobs to Ms.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:33 AM

Call Center jobs certainly don't require a college degree and would pay better than minimum wage but they really aren't very desirable jobs. My understanding is that there is basically always a good bit of turnover in any call center, as the work isn't particularly rewarding and gets downright annoying in dealing with rude & frustrated people. Basically, these jobs are typically for people who are stuck in between lower end jobs that pay close to minimum wage and the professional jobs that they want but can't get because they aren't qualified and don't have a degree.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Call Center jobs certainly don't require a college degree and would pay better than minimum wage but they really aren't very desirable jobs. My understanding is that there is basically always a good bit of turnover in any call center, as the work isn't particularly rewarding and gets downright annoying in dealing with rude & frustrated people. Basically, these jobs are typically for people who are stuck in between lower end jobs that pay close to minimum wage and the professional jobs that they want but can't get because they aren't qualified and don't have a degree.
Not desirable? really? call center is a great career with time flexibility. Call center jobs fit for everyone, homemaker want a part-time job, retirees want additional cash, young college students want extra cash etc.. That is the best job for everyone. For Mississippi, what else you can get? A high-tech internet start-up?

Old 09-18-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USERXXXX View Post
Not desirable? really? call center is a great career with time flexibility. Call center jobs fit for everyone, homemaker want a part-time job, retirees want additional cash, young college students want extra cash etc.. That is the best job for everyone. For Mississippi, what else you can get? A high-tech internet start-up?

There have been plenty of threads on City Data about the experiences of people who have worked in Call Centers. In general, they are absolutely miserable and can't wait to get out. Go read some of the threads.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:26 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,291,529 times
I've worked in call centers for almost two decades. Not all are bad, and they can be launching pads to better career opportunities.

About Starkville, I might need to take a drive up there sometime soon (hopefully, on a non-football Saturday) and see what's going on. With MSU having a top-notch engineering program, that can be gold mine for good high-paying jobs for graduates. I also believe more than anything, MSU's football team doing well the last few years has raised Starkville's standing.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:40 PM

25 posts, read 23,445 times
Starkville is dead. I mean it's in the middle of nowhere. It doesn't offer much and I found the whole town very unappealing. It's just has a vibe that screams emptiness.

Hattiesburg, Tupelo and Oxford(in no particular order) are perhaps my top three faves. I really like oxfords amazing dining options.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
There have been plenty of threads on City Data about the experiences of people who have worked in Call Centers. In general, they are absolutely miserable and can't wait to get out. Go read some of the threads.
There are good and bad areas of every job. However, this is MISSISSIPPI, i must lower my bar. What else can you get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi