Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:21 AM

284 posts, read 362,276 times

Advertisements

My daughter is thinking about transferring to USM in January. I attended back in the 70's and loved it. What can anyone tell me about the school and the overall atmosphere these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 02:43 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
I got my master's from there in 1997. It has changed a lot since then.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I got my master's from there in 1997. It has changed a lot since then.
Hmmm...That doesn't tell me much. Care to elaborate a little bit?

Old 09-21-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
Hmmm...That doesn't tell me much. Care to elaborate a little bit?
Well, the dorm I stayed in has been torn down, for one thing.

The main cafeteria next to the library was torn down.

Some new buildings have been constructed.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:34 AM

324 posts, read 416,589 times
Our son is in his 3rd year at USM. When he was considering schools, we visited Miss State, Ole Miss, and Southern Miss. He actually thought Ole Miss was the best of all 3, but he choose USM because he said it was the best fit for his personality, which is laid back. I asked just a few weeks ago if he thought he made the right decision and he responded with a VERY strong yes.

According to him USM has a laid back feel, due to a large percentage of students being from the coastal areas of MS, FL, and AL, which apparently are more laid back people. As a parent we only have had 2 or 3 of those safety alerts they text to parents, when something happens on campus. They were for pretty minor things, I don'tt even remember what they were for.

The campus is on the small side, but is beautiful. Theres always some new construction going on. IMO the campus food was good. But my son says they only roll out the good stuff when parents or other entities visit. Normally he says food is just OK.

Good stock of housing on and off campus. Lots of tutoring available. He says professors are easily accessible outside of class.

Then you have the geographical pluses. Close to New Orleans, Pensacola, Gulfport, etc.. Although still quite a drive, its still close enough that he was in Miami labor day weekend and it didn't require a call to dad for $$$..lol.. Hospital is literally across the street. Lots of dining, banking all with in walking distance.

But the biggest emphasis is on the laid back feel in comparison to the other 2. Miss State was too big, Ole MIss was too busy, and USM was just his speed. My son is very laid back. Shorts, tank top, sunglasses, flip flops kind of guy.

As a parent Im very happy with his decision. We visit him quite a bit on our way to or from the Gulf Coast. When he stayed in dorms, it was always clean. I was a bit surprised that a dorm full of 19 yr olds was so quiet. The rules are heavily enforced. IDs must be surrendered to visit dorm residents (even parents), limited number of people allowed to visit (even when parents, grand parents, auntie and cousins visit at once). The only knock against USM is they dont have an official annual family day. Our daughter graduated and got her Masters from Eastern Illinois. She was there 7 years. Every year they had a family day weekend, with concerts, activites, etc... So far, USM had just 1 his freshman year.But haven't seen one since. MY wife really wishes USM had the same. But other than that, I feel he is in a good, safe environment when he is at school. So if your kid is a bit more laid back and 'chill', she will probably like USM. But if shes the thrill seeker or busy body, she might not like it.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman123 View Post
Our son is in his 3rd year at USM. When he was considering schools, we visited Miss State, Ole Miss, and Southern Miss. He actually thought Ole Miss was the best of all 3, but he choose USM because he said it was the best fit for his personality, which is laid back. I asked just a few weeks ago if he thought he made the right decision and he responded with a VERY strong yes.
Glad to see that maybe some things do stay the same. Back in the late 70's, I visited all 3 schools as well, and chose USM because it had a more laid back feel (ah yes, blue jeans, flip flops and Jimmy Buffett music) and it just fit my personality more than the other 2. She's much like me in that respect, so I'm really glad it seems to have maintained that vibe. While, she's still considering MSU, she's leaning strongly toward USM. Really appreciate your post.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 9,243 times
Proud USM alum here. SMTTT!

Old 09-22-2015, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,598 times
Agree that USM is definitely more laid back. My parents expected me to attend Ole Miss, but I just could not see myself there. I had the grades to get into any school in Mississippi, including Millsaps, but chose USM. I have an aversion to colder weather and being Hattiesburg was closest to the Coast, it was a natural choice. Excellent business school and Hattiesburg is a pretty cool town. I think you're exposed to a more diverse student body as well. Lots of older students as well as those who commute from surrounding counties for night classes. Hattiesburg is also not vulnerable to that dreaded "everything revolves around the university" syndrome that most smaller college towns experience. Not as much of that fishbowl feeling that you get on other campuses.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:32 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Well, the dorm I stayed in has been torn down, for one thing.

The main cafeteria next to the library was torn down.

Some new buildings have been constructed.
I got my undergrad degree in 1997.

Which dorm were you in? I know Vann and Scott halls were torn down and rebuilt. There have been lots of changes on campus. You used to be able to drive in front of the Hub. Now you can't. There's now a Chick Fil A and other fast food joints on campus, along with a Barnes & Noble and Starbucks. There was a small building next to the freshman quad and the Panhellenic where we would wash clothes. A Quiznos ended up going in there, though I believe something else is there now.

While this is about USM, let me also point out that William Carey College has made almost a complete makeover. They also started a medical school a few years ago. I believe that will be a major coup for the area in due time.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
I got my undergrad degree in 1997.

Which dorm were you in? I know Vann and Scott halls were torn down and rebuilt. There have been lots of changes on campus. You used to be able to drive in front of the Hub. Now you can't. There's now a Chick Fil A and other fast food joints on campus, along with a Barnes & Noble and Starbucks. There was a small building next to the freshman quad and the Panhellenic where we would wash clothes. A Quiznos ended up going in there, though I believe something else is there now.

While this is about USM, let me also point out that William Carey College has made almost a complete makeover. They also started a medical school a few years ago. I believe that will be a major coup for the area in due time.
I lived in Elam Arms most of the time. It had its own cafeteria and pool. Now its gone. The tornado damaged it, but I think it was already closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi