U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:48 PM

739 posts, read 2,085,870 times

Advertisements

Is it just that these towns tend to be sleepy with not much happening for people who are used to activities? Or, are they so depressed, etc that everyone's quality of life suffers?

I'm pretty good at keeping myself busy so I don't need a lot of infrastructure. I'd like to be safe and not isolated as a newcomer though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 16,846 times
I am a life long resident of the Delta and have lived in Clarksdale for the past 30 years. My wife and I love it here. My son lives in Greenwood, while my daughter lives in another part of the state. She and her husband will move back to the Delta should the opportunity pressent itself.

Greenwood and Clarksdale are not for everyone. Depending on what you expect. If you like friend outgoing people, great hunting and fishing opportunities, and southern hospitality like no where else on earth you will be happy here.

If you want unlimited shopping and entertainment you can find that in the Memphis area, which is just a little over 1 hour away. Depending on what you plan on doing for a living if you are not retired, you opportunities may be limited.

This area is rich with blues history and tourist and in and out of here everyday. Just this morning I saw a group of over 20 cyclist riding about town.

Come down and have a look. We have may people who came for a visit and have either moved here or maintain a second home here.

Best of luck.

I TURE SON OF THE DELTA

Old 08-19-2008, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,203 times
Default Son needs place to live near Clarksdale, MS

My son just got a job teaching at Clarksdale Elementary. He adores the kids! Thinks they are all precious! He dedicated his teaching to kids in elementary through high school, encouraging and teaching them that they can do anything they put their mind too. I grew up in Itta Bena, MS so he has seen the Delta most of his life. He is in Memphis now and despirately needs a place to live. (and as you know teachers don't make that much money) He needs to live in Coahoma county somewhere. If anyone has a idea where he may rent a place for a decent price, please let me know. Thanks, marsha

Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 AM

356 posts, read 1,299,936 times
One thing I would check into before moving to any small town in Mississippi is the medical facilities. I've found that out the hard way. It scares me that if I develop any major medical problem I'll have to drive for an hour to get to a real hospital. I wish I had thought about that before I moved here.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:54 PM

8,690 posts, read 20,437,779 times
Please try to be civil to each other. There is no need for this hostility.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-30-2009, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,508 times
willdufauve: what did you ever do about moving to Clarksdale or Greenwood? I am in the same situation now --- pondering a relocation there --- and wondered how it played out for you, your deicions/opinions, etc. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,442 times
I was born and raised in Greenwood and in my opinion if you're a self motivated person that thrives on new ideas and change; this is not the place for you. I know people that still sharecrop for a living. Crime is a way of life for most of the youth. A few families control the wealth of Greenwood and will not allow larger corporations to operate in the city in order to maintain their mom and pop establishments. William Lynch's teachings are alive and well in both cities.

Clarksdale is in worst shape and does not have digital cellular service. Who still uses analog cellular service? Clarksdale, that's who

Old 12-22-2014, 03:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,429 times
I'm thinking of moving to Clarksdale to retire. I'm single and since I know musicians and artists there I feel it is worth seriously exploring.

My son played in Clarksdale when he was young. I travelled with him. I hope to buy a commercial space downtown and renovate it to be residential, with possible a room or two to rent to blues lovers.

I have just started to play bass and know I will have more time and more opportunities to play there. I'm stuck out in the suburbs now.

I'd just like to know your reactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi