Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:01 PM

78 posts, read 394,773 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Hernando,MS for 34 years now.
I did live in Chicago for 3 years in the mid 60s. We lived near the Lincoln/Belmont area & at that time was really a nice,modest neighborhood.
Looking back, I/we pretty much enjoyed it. I worked for the CTA & seldom used our car

Of course, there will be a big change from a large city but Desoto County has changed from rural to suburban & with it more crime & less contact with your neighbors.
I guess everyone is so busy trying to make the big bucks that they just do not have time to get aquainted.
There are 15 houses on my street. Twenty years ago we would at times have 8 to 10 people sitting on the porch visiting. Now, a wave as a neighbor drives by is about the extent of knowing your neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
I live in North MS. between Tupelo and New Albany. Born and bred a Mississippi native, have traveled and lived in other states, but the deep roots of my upbringing brought me back home.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:34 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Born in Pascagoula, MS, lived there and around Moss Point for 5 years. Then lived in Hurley till I was 18. Currently reside in Dallas, TX, moving to Chicago in August.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:54 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Born in Pascagoula, MS, lived there and around Moss Point for 5 years. Then lived in Hurley till I was 18. Currently reside in Dallas, TX, moving to Chicago in August.
Be sure to buy some thermals, you're going to need them.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:33 PM

18 posts, read 60,980 times
I am approximately 20 miles from any town, and 35+ from a "larger" town. Inconvenient at times, but I love the peace, tranquility, and being so close to nature. A lot of times, I can watch various species of wildlife (deer, turkeys, rabbits, birds, coyotes, etc) in their natural habitat just by looking out the kitchen window. Love it!

Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 AM

7 posts, read 42,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadastwin View Post
I will be making a similar change in a number of days. What are the pros and cons of moving from Chicago to Mississippi in your opinion? I will reside in Olive Branch. I can't wait to get away from the hustle and bustle where everyone is always in a hurry here in the big city. I'm looking forward to a much slower pace.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jadastwin, you'll love it if you are looking for a "much slower pace". Of course, there will be the normal 'culture shock', but that seems to be exactly what you are anticipating.

I live in Meridian, and have never been to Olive Branch, but have heard good things about the little town. Best way to quickly fit in, and get your neighbors nosy is to plant a little vegetable garden and let them come over and tell you the 'right way o' doin' such a thang'. All you have to do is nod and say, "wow, I never thought of that, thanks!" You'll be in like Flynn.

Welcome to Mississippi.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:29 AM

413 posts, read 1,255,289 times
Originally from Pass Christian, along the Gulf Coast, now in NC. Miss Mississippi terribly.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 AM

3 posts, read 23,067 times
Default I think you will like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadastwin View Post
I will be making a similar change in a number of days. What are the pros and cons of moving from Chicago to Mississippi in your opinion? I will reside in Olive Branch. I can't wait to get away from the hustle and bustle where everyone is always in a hurry here in the big city. I'm looking forward to a much slower pace.
I've been to Chicago but I never lived there which is Quite Busy. I lived near Olive Branch (but never been there) and I have a friend living there now and she loves it. Olive Branch is almost a hop, skip, and a jump from Memphis and if you are feeling nostalgic or homesick you can visit TN for a spell to get out of the slow pace of the dirty south (even though you will still be in the south). I think you will like it there and I wish you and your family luck. You are also living in a safer place too.

LaTasha

Old 02-24-2008, 08:06 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchenfur View Post
I am approximately 20 miles from any town, and 35+ from a "larger" town. Inconvenient at times, but I love the peace, tranquility, and being so close to nature. A lot of times, I can watch various species of wildlife (deer, turkeys, rabbits, birds, coyotes, etc) in their natural habitat just by looking out the kitchen window. Love it!
That all sounds lovely, but where is this place?

Old 02-24-2008, 01:54 PM

18 posts, read 60,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
That all sounds lovely, but where is this place?
Perry county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi