Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2008, 03:55 PM

5 posts, read 24,597 times

Advertisements

I am being relocated to Columbus or Atlus OK. At first I thought it was a no brainer--Columbus hands down. However, the schools are terrifying me and so is all the talk of racial strife. We're from middle GA, and the schools are quite integrated and this has never been an issue, but I am concerned about the quality of education, and, let's face it, I would like a racially integrated school where my child does not feel like an outsider even though he is coming into his first year of high school here. I will also have a second grader with me. I also want to know where is a good place to live.

Help! I have less than two days to give them my decision (I love the military)

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 AM

557 posts, read 1,674,718 times
There is really not much racial strife in Columbus. For the most part, the races get along ok, IMO. I would NOT recommend the Columbus city school system, but there are two county school systems (Caledonia and New Hope) which are pretty good. If you are in the military and live on the base, your children will go to Caledonia schools, as far as I know.

I am familiar with Altus, OK, but haven't been there in many years. Climate is MUCH different from the Southeast and the town is really pretty isolated with not much to do. Can't tell you about the schools there.

Good luck!!

Last edited by jsherman9901; 02-06-2008 at 09:18 AM..

Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 PM

Default Thanks for the input...

I decided on Columbus. I only plan to be in the area for one to two years and then return to Georgia, but who knows. I am looking at both New Hope and Caledonia, although it looks like base housing goes to the Columbus city schools and their stats look dismal here on the internet.

I don't know how much culture shock I'm in for. I'm well-acclimated to middle Georgia and that was a real shock to me eight years ago.

Now I suppose the hard part is going to be finding a nice rental home in one of these areas. I see tons of info on sales, but rental information seems difficult to locate. Any suggestions?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry9300 View Post
I decided on Columbus. I only plan to be in the area for one to two years and then return to Georgia, but who knows. I am looking at both New Hope and Caledonia, although it looks like base housing goes to the Columbus city schools and their stats look dismal here on the internet.

Now I suppose the hard part is going to be finding a nice rental home in one of these areas. I see tons of info on sales, but rental information seems difficult to locate. Any suggestions?
I believe they changed the policy last fall so that base housing residents now send their children to Caledonia schools. You might call the housing referral office on base and ask them.

Rentals are pretty tight, and expensive for the most part. The housing office on base might be able to help.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,677 times
Default Columbus

Columbus is a good place to live even though it is very small. City schools are getting better since they have a new superintendent. If your children are into sports they should go to the city schools because they have great athletics programs. There are a lot of diversity with the schools so your child won't feel alone. The New Hope area is also a great place to live because I've lived there for about five years. I don't like Caledonia because the town looks like crap and the people there won't change for nothing.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:09 AM

I am starting to find a few articles about how they are trying to get federal desegregation laws dropped so that CAFB kids can attend school in Caledonia. It looks like everything is dated early to mid last year, so I guess it did go into effect. If that did, and there's not much of a housing wait, then that would be ideal since I don't want to purchase a home in the area.

I have seen a lot of good stuff on New Hope, as well. I am dead set that no matter what, my son will go to one of these schools.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry9300 View Post
I am starting to find a few articles about how they are trying to get federal desegregation laws dropped so that CAFB kids can attend school in Caledonia. It looks like everything is dated early to mid last year, so I guess it did go into effect. If that did, and there's not much of a housing wait, then that would be ideal since I don't want to purchase a home in the area.

I have seen a lot of good stuff on New Hope, as well. I am dead set that no matter what, my son will go to one of these schools.
Either Caledonia or New Hope schools would be a good choice. A lot of base people live in Caledonia because it is close to the base (5-15 min depending on where you live). New Hope is a 25-30 min drive, but still not bad. Also, if your son is in sports, New Hope has the best baseball and basketball programs around.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:31 PM

6 posts, read 25,938 times
Sorry, didnt' see this post until today. Altus schools are actually pretty good, but Altus is very remotely located and most people not from here don't care for it. There just isn't hardly anything to do here and it's at least an hour drive to any other larger town. OKC is over two hours, and Dallas is three. I suppose if your priority is your children, it is much more tolerable. Best of luck to you in Columbia. I am actually considering moving there myself (not military, just don't like it here and want to be somewhere prettier and more interesting). Let me know what you think of the area!! Good luck and take care!

Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 AM

24 posts, read 164,778 times
We are stationed at Columbus AFB. Much better quality of life than at Altus! If you choose to live on base, you have the choice for your kids to attend either the city or Caledonia (county) schools. School choice passed at the beginning of last school year, but just for base kids. Both systems have a bus that picks up from base housing. Most kids are transferring to the county schools, but the sports and gifted programs are better at Columbus High. The elem. schools in the city don't have a great reputation at all. Now as far as racial diversity goes, the city schools have virtually none, especially at the elementary level, and the county has some. But, like most areas in America, the school divide is mainly economic.

We don't live on base, but have many friends that do, and they really don't have many complaints about base housing. It was recently privatized and they include all lawn care in the lease agreement. The new housing is nice and fairly spacious for base housing with single family and duplex units. They do separate by rank with higher ranks getting single family units- at least in the new part. I don't think the wait for housing is very long, especially if you don't care if it is the new or old. I don't know many families that rent and the pilot training students quickly snap up anything that comes up.

If you do decide to live off base, caledonia is about 15 minutes and new hope is about 25. Caledonia schools are really in the sticks and there is not hardly any rental property out there. New Hope generally has more rental property, but it's not a great commute.

I am originally from AL and I moved here from OK and, as a minority, I have not personally experienced any overt racism or feel as if the city has an unusual level of racial tension. But I have noticed that the economic divide between the races is pretty noticeable.

The base itself is pretty bare bones-small commissary, BX is a joke, no fast food except in the food court, one small shoppette, small med clinic. But it is only about 15 minutes to local shopping.
Middle GA...Warner-Robbins? There shouldn't be a whole lot of culture shock.

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2008, 04:09 PM

Default This is great news...

I thought there was a mistake when it said base housing kids had a choice to go to Caledonia schools. That's wonderful! I have been in for 19 years and have never lived on base, although i currently live in off base privatized housing here at Robins AFB and it's pretty decent. I will be reporting in sometime in July to get the kids settled in and ready for school. This may work out after all, but I really hate to leave Warner Robins...it's a great place to raise kids. But, I have to admit that 7+ years ago, it was quite a culture shock coming here from San Antonio. I actually enjoy living in the south now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi