Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 08:55 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times

Advertisements

The "pretty dress code" for football games is rooted in honoring the Confederate dead. Look it up. That is what is behind the tradition, not the existence of a higher class of people.

The faux pretense in Oxford is very off-putting. It's the "try hard" center of the universe, if there is one.

There's a self-styled "southern cuisine" writer at the school, I forget his name. The hyped and "overrated" "Oxford food scene" is largely of his creation. It is 90% hype. Ole Miss hosts a food symposium that does manage to attract a lot of chefs (who in turn are voters in Beard Foundation awards). That snags the local restaurants more attention than they'd get otherwise. You won't find truly fine cuisine there. There simply aren't the demographics or disposable income there to support a real, high-end food scene.

Ole Miss kids are mostly middle-class dorks and rednecks playing dress-up. The quality of education is at the bottom end of the SEC, which isn't remotely comparable to the Ivy League, or even the Big 10 or Pac schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 09:48 PM

205 posts, read 249,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Ole Miss kids are mostly middle-class dorks and rednecks playing dress-up. The quality of education is at the bottom end of the SEC, which isn't remotely comparable to the Ivy League, or even the Big 10 or Pac schools.
Agreed.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:36 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post
3) THE GODDAMNED RACIST LEGACY BEHIND OXFORD AND OLE MISS!!

Okay, so, at the University of Mississippi, you have all of these people waving flags in front of the courthouse when oxford changes its flag, then you have the confederate monuments still up and honoring the worst traitors in the history of the United States,

I've made my point.
sound like you are of the africian american family with another chip on your shoulder, and maybe from up north

Old 02-18-2016, 06:41 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
one thing you hhave to understand about ol miss, its in the middle of no where, not memphis, UT not Birmingham, UA, not jackson, UM, not Mobile, USA. it is in the middle of the woods in a very small town, its not Boston, or Alanta, miami. It can only drawn from the back woods. But I would of love to been able to go to school there, Its ol miss

Old 02-22-2016, 09:32 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Sounds like you don't like the backwoods south, no doubt you'll hate Oxford, I would too.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:41 PM

45 posts, read 109,190 times
1. I really doubt that anyone has been arrested in Oxford for P.I. without having taken a single drink. With that said, the police did go on more or less a rampage against the students several years ago after a drunk student ran over and killed Officer Langley during a traffic stop, and did indeed arrest a bunch of students who were walking home a bit tipsy. My understanding is that these arrests are no longer being made unless the students are making noise or disturbing the peace.

2. The Metro Narcotics Unit did indeed pressure students into acting as confidential informants. It was pretty disgraceful. The head of this unit has resigned, and this practice has been heavily curtailed. They are still doing this if they arrest a student who is dealing or caught with a substantial quantity of drugs, but not for casual users as they apparently once were.

3. I agree that to call Ole Miss “The Harvard of the South” is ridiculous. Traditionally Ole Miss has been called “The Country Club of the South.” It’s far more accurate. I will say that the Ole Miss honors college is quite good, with students who attend having an average ACT score of above 32. For a school that has a mission to serve one of the poorest states in the union, that’s as good as it’s going to get. I truly don’t know why you have a problem with the University Museum. They’ve always had a museum with various things on display.

4. I wasn’t aware that an Ole Miss football game was supposed to be the epicenter of culture and sophistication. It’s more like an upper-middle-class cocktail party. So what if Ole Miss lost to Memphis? Gotta lose to somebody. If you never lose the winning becomes rather boring. Not sure what the OP has against people dressing nicely and going to fraternity parties. Are they supposed to dress in rags and sit around campfires singing kum-bay-ya.

5. Many of us believe that the city and the university should fly our state’s flag, whatever it might be. As for the “racist legacy,” the entire history of the United States is one giant racist legacy, and I resent the effort to make the South the whipping boy for all of our nation’s sins. To suggest that Confederates were “treasonous” is to demonstrate a lack of understanding of what treason means. Benedict Arnold was a traitor. He acted in secret after having sworn allegiance to the United States. The Confederates acted openly and with good will, much as Great Britain is acting openly with its current vote to leave the European Union. Should Britain wish to leave the EU, I think it would be wrong to force them to remain through the force of arms; it would be wrong for Germany to attack Britain just as it was wrong for the North to attack the South.

You will find nothing in the original U.S. Constitution that prohibits secession. All of the Confederates who held U.S. office resigned their positions and acted with honor. Albert Sidney Johnston resigned his commission in the army, yet continued to serve for 10 days until his replacement could arrive, out of a sense of duty to his former country. The attitude of every Southerner was summed up in the farewell Senate speech of Mississippi’s Jefferson Davis, who would go on to lead our nation: “...we seek no conquest, no aggrandizement, no concession of any kind from the States with which we were lately confederated; all we ask is to be let alone...” One who openly and publicly renounces his citizenship in one nation and pledges his allegiance to another, and then merely defends his new country against attack from the country of his former allegiance is certainly guilty of no type of treason. The U.S. Supreme Court was prepared to rule as much until President Johnson issued his final pardon of all Confederates.

Finally, as for Haley Barbour’s comments about the Citizen’s Council, I suspect they did keep the Klan out of Yazoo City. That doesn’t change the fact that the group was staunchly segregationist, because they were. Had the Citizen’s Council not existed, my guess is that the Klan might very well have been more active in Yazoo City. That’s an unpleasant fact. It doesn’t make the CC a good bunch of folks. It was just an accurate statement by Barbour, but there is no way to say it without it sounding terrible, and he probably should have kept his mouth shut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi