U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,207 times

Advertisements

My family lives in Smithville and my husband and I are contemplating moving to Mississippi. I have a teaching license and am looking at your posts here. Would you recommend Tupelo as a good place to start in job hunting? One huge concern in moving for me is dealing with the humidity as I don't do well with high humidity. What's your experience in dealing with that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:21 AM

152 posts, read 504,801 times
Well there's gonna be humidity, and a lot of it. There's really no way around it. Just stay in your house or office during the day with the AC cranked on in the summer.

As far as teaching goes, Tupelo has two very good school districts. Their is the Tupelo School District- Tupelo School District and the Lee County School District- Lee County Schools. From those links, you can get info to all principals at each school and I would recommend just contacting them.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,168 times
Anyone know if there is a website with information about public transportation in Tupelo? What about handicap transportation? We are also considering relocating to Tupelo but, as retirees, it is important to know if public transportation is available should we be unable to drive in future sometime. Also, would like to find info on senior senior activities and services. Perhaps there is a Tupelo newspaper we could have delivered to our current home in Chicago area?

Old 04-04-2009, 04:51 AM

705 posts, read 574,753 times
Default NE Mississippi Daily Journal

The daily paper for the area is the NE Mississippi Daily Journal, and they have a website. I am orginally form the area and check it out periodically to keep up with what's happening in the area.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,721 times
My question which I cannot seem to find any information about is interracial marriages. I am in an interracial relationship and do not care how other feel about us. However, I do not want my children from a prior marriage to suffer because their stepfather is African-American and they are white. His corporation really wants to relocate him and promote him to the area of Tupelo.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,451,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celestiap View Post
My question which I cannot seem to find any information about is interracial marriages. I am in an interracial relationship and do not care how other feel about us. However, I do not want my children from a prior marriage to suffer because their stepfather is African-American and they are white. His corporation really wants to relocate him and promote him to the area of Tupelo.
I'm not sure I can answer your question, but I will try. I'm pretty certain you and your husband won't have any trouble, but kids can be cruel, and I can't really give you an accurate answer. I think your children may have a hard time from SOME other children, but I also feel there are many places throughout this country where that may happen.

Many children haven't matured enough to think about or even care about another childs feelings, or realize that it's a big world out there with people of many different colors and cultures.

As a native Mississippian, and I can only speak for myself, but if you decide to move to Tupelo, welcome to you and your family.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:38 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,777,796 times
Before you move, check out the recent test scores. Many schools in Tupelo did not perform well. We spent a year in Tupelo. I was very disappointed in the schools. My sisters' kids are in Saltillo schools. From what I understand, they are better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi