Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:28 AM

25,358 posts, read 17,010,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmedpoet View Post
Not just that, it's a cowardice law that will prevent people from relocating to MS that might have otherwise considered it. I have a bi daughter and a gay nephew, and I would never consider a place where they weren't considered equal. At one time I would have considered MS as a place to relocate to. It's one of the most scenic and beautiful states. But again, people voted bigots like these into office.

Good for all those who are boycotting, and pulling their business. It's nice to see christians get a taste of their own medicine. I thought they weren't supposed to judge. Treat others how you want to be treated, I guess that goes for everyone else....
BRRRP........Fail.
Another person who has not (A) read the law) or (B) does not understand the law or (C) is so biased that they are unable to interpret the law in a neutral manner.

Mississippi has been singled out by a few lesser known performers who would lose nothing by not performing here. Meanwhile, there are shows galore in Biloxi.
Foreigner, ZZ Top, Loretta Lynn, Alice Cooper, Smokey Robinson...etc.
Biloxi, MS Live Music Shows & Tour Dates 2016 - Eventful

Handily enough, those of us who support the law (which has not taken effect yet) are now "branded" as "Christians" and are given instructions as to how to practice the faith that has now been assigned us.
Pretty lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 11:34 AM

24,261 posts, read 14,119,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmedpoet View Post
Not just that, it's a cowardice law that will prevent people from relocating to MS that might have otherwise considered it. I have a bi daughter and a gay nephew, and I would never consider a place where they weren't considered equal. At one time I would have considered MS as a place to relocate to. It's one of the most scenic and beautiful states. But again, people voted bigots like these into office.

Good for all those who are boycotting, and pulling their business. It's nice to see christians get a taste of their own medicine. I thought they weren't supposed to judge. Treat others how you want to be treated, I guess that goes for everyone else....
The plant that my wife works at has three that have already put in for a transfer. We wouldn't have transferred here if this law had been in place, and retirement can't come soon enough. We are already looking at other places to move after retirement IF we don't transfer out before then.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:51 PM

25,358 posts, read 17,010,145 times
I am not a Christian. I belong to another religion which requires that I never wear a shirt and never wear shoes.

And I find myself the victim of discrimination. In every town I see signs that discriminate against me and those who believe, as I do, that the wearing of shirts and shoes is unnatural, but somehow unacceptable to many people. So they put signs on their windows and door excluding people like me. In fact, I can find almost no place to eat some days.

Poor me. I am think of filing suit so that restaurants may no longer exclude me.

More to the point:
Excluding gay people from a business is poor business, rude, and exhibits a narrow mindedness that heretofore has been exhibited mostly by some posters in this thread. I hope that no one in Mississippi actually tests the law.
But I support the business owner's right to behave in a boorish and stupid manner if that's what he chooses to do. I can't imagine that a business would stay viable for long using the business model that is available to him, but I do support his right to be self destructive if he likes.

The KKK lays claim to being a religious organization. Will we force bakers to bake cakes for them and photographers to photograph their gatherings?
We just might. The unintended consequences of well-meaning activists have bitten us all before.
Quote:
Ancona lists the American Civil Liberties Union, which has represented the KKK legally from time-to-time, and church ministry and church leadership among his affiliations. He describes his interests as "history, heritage, restoring our republic and Constitution as originally written
Read more at KKK Leader: 'We're a Christian Organization;' Claims the Klan Is Not a Hate Group

Read more at KKK Leader: 'We're a Christian Organization;' Claims the Klan Is Not a Hate Group

Old 04-20-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I am not a Christian. I belong to another religion which requires that I never wear a shirt and never wear shoes.

And I find myself the victim of discrimination. In every town I see signs that discriminate against me and those who believe, as I do, that the wearing of shirts and shoes is unnatural, but somehow unacceptable to many people. So they put signs on their windows and door excluding people like me. In fact, I can find almost no place to eat some days.

Poor me. I am think of filing suit so that restaurants may no longer exclude me.

More to the point:
Excluding gay people from a business is poor business, rude, and exhibits a narrow mindedness that heretofore has been exhibited mostly by some posters in this thread. I hope that no one in Mississippi actually tests the law.
But I support the business owner's right to behave in a boorish and stupid manner if that's what he chooses to do. I can't imagine that a business would stay viable for long using the business model that is available to him, but I do support his right to be self destructive if he likes.

The KKK lays claim to being a religious organization. Will we force bakers to bake cakes for them and photographers to photograph their gatherings?
We just might. The unintended consequences of well-meaning activists have bitten us all before.
This law would have no effect either way if the KKK becomes a religious org, since discrimination based on religious belief is not allowed based on federal law.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:15 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,715,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The plant that my wife works at has three that have already put in for a transfer. We wouldn't have transferred here if this law had been in place, and retirement can't come soon enough. We are already looking at other places to move after retirement IF we don't transfer out before then.
Maybe a stupid question, but is it difficult for you guys to move out before retirement?

Old 04-20-2016, 03:47 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,336,599 times
you can tell, 98% of the people have not read the bill. all it says is, the state not going sue someone because your feeling got hurt. That it. If they want to sue in civil court, they are welcome. But the state just not going get involved

Old 04-20-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but is it difficult for you guys to move out before retirement?
A transfer is a possibility, but the wife will have to train someone to replace her which takes about 3 years. They won't let her transfer to another plant if there is no one to fill her position, and they have been having trouble finding people to transfer in since start up.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
you can tell, 98% of the people have not read the bill. all it says is, the state not going sue someone because your feeling got hurt. That it. If they want to sue in civil court, they are welcome. But the state just not going get involved
Tell that to the growing number of constitutional lawyers that believe that the new law is unconstitutional.

Either way, it will be repealed, overturned, or MS will have an even harder time recruiting businesses and top talent. Don't expect companies that are already here to expand as they would in other areas either, since they will have trouble finding people to employ. Toyota already has trouble getting and keeping employees and they have great pay and benefits.

As much as I love my house and social group here, I'm out of this state as soon as possible.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:05 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,158,054 times
We get it. You want to leave. You don't have to tell us in every post. I'm sorry you are unhappy here because of this law, and I don't blame you one bit. But saying in every post how terrible we are and you can't wait to leave is getting old. Maybe you should do something that might actually help to get the law taken down instead of declaring how much you want to leave on a message board.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
We get it. You want to leave. You don't have to tell us in every post. I'm sorry you are unhappy here because of this law, and I don't blame you one bit. But saying in every post how terrible we are and you can't wait to leave is getting old. Maybe you should do something that might actually help to get the law taken down instead of declaring how much you want to leave on a message board.
If my posts bother you, you can always not read them.

And I am doing something, I work with equality MS trying to get this and other laws repealed.

Gotta love the "hospitality state" mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi