Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 11:03 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,929,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
You make an excellent point there, jjrose. These religionists, they like to pick and choose Bible verses that fits their political agenda and justifys their ridiculous and narrow minded beliefs while ignoring other Bible verses that doesn't fit their political agenda or justify their ridiculous and narrow minded beliefs.
No points at all, just deflections and nonsense to fool the gullible, unlearned and apathetic. One liberal will say "Jesus never said anything about homosexual behavior"; then I point out about Jesus' reference to the destruction of Sodom; then the liberals say "Sodom's sin wasn't homosexual behavior"; then I point to what God said after the days of Sodom in Leviticus about the detestable act of homosexuality which the inhabitants of the land had been doing; then the liberals start bringing up shellfish. It's all complete nonsense and diversions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 11:11 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,168,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Diversions and nonsense. God firmly condemned homosexuality along with incest and bestiality. To your other point, the OT did indeed prohibit certain animals. Why? I don't know, but perhaps they were inherently unclean at that time; or, perhaps for other reasons. Nonetheless, God cleansed all animals in the New Testament.

Act 10

[9] On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
[10] And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
[11] And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
[12] Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
[13] And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
[14] But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
[15] And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
[16] This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.
You god forced incest to populate the earth. Adam and Eves kids reproduced with who?

Pick and choose, pick and choose. Your god also has something to say about divorce, in fact Jesus SPECIFICALLY commented on it, yet you don't hear about businesses refusing service to divorced people. You don't see states passing laws denying divorced people equal rights.

How about this, YOU follow your religious beliefs in your own life, but when dealing with society you must follow societies laws.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:15 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ25-U3jNWM

Just as fitting today as it was when originally written.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You god forced incest to populate the earth. Adam and Eves kids reproduced with who?
God did not tell us every detail in the Bible, just a synopsis; so, your lack of knowledge makes you unfit to bring any substance to the discussion.

Quote:
Pick and choose, pick and choose. Your god also has something to say about divorce, in fact Jesus SPECIFICALLY commented on it, yet you don't hear about businesses refusing service to divorced people. You don't see states passing laws denying divorced people equal rights.

How about this, YOU follow your religious beliefs in your own life, but when dealing with society you must follow societies laws.
God commands societies to obey His laws. They can ignore Him, for a season, but remember the end Sodom -- which Jesus referenced.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
God did not tell us every detail in the Bible, just a synopsis; so, your lack of knowledge makes you unfit to bring any substance to the discussion.

God commands societies to obey His laws. They can ignore Him, for a season, but remember the end Sodom -- which Jesus referenced.
None of gods laws say not to bake serve others in a business. There is not thou shall not serve cake to gays in the bible. BUT there is a verse that says render unto Caesar that which is Caesars. Businesses and a nations laws belong to Caesar. This is not a theocracy and your personal beliefs do not trump generally applicable law.

And if god wanted to end the US for acting like sodom, gays would have nothing to do with it.

"Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."

Old 04-10-2016, 02:42 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,221,697 times
Quote:
The belief in a literal Bible for anyone older than 12 ended during the Stone age, then was resurrected for some reason a few hundred years ago. Only a tiny percentage of the millions of worldwide Christians believe that nonsense.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Quote:
And do you follow all 600+ laws of the OT?
Just try to take bacon, catfish, and shellfish from southerners, yet all of those are also prohibited in Leviticus.
You make an excellent point there, jjrose. These religionists, they like to pick and choose Bible verses that fits their political agenda and justifys their ridiculous and narrow minded beliefs while ignoring other Bible verses that doesn't fit their political agenda or justify their ridiculous and narrow minded beliefs.
There is no need to "pick and choose". Which laws to follow and which ones were superseded is clearly spelled out in the Bible. When early Christians started spreading the Word to Gentiles, some people wanted the new converts to follow all the Laws of the Covenant. But among other things, adult circumcision was a hard sell. After much prayer and discussion, the decision by the apostles was that if you were born Jewish and converted to Christianity, you were still bound by the Law as indicated by Jesus in Matthew 5:17-19. However, if you were not born Jewish, Acts 15 applies, specifically verses 28-29:
28 It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: 29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.
Note that "sexual immorality" is included, but pork, shellfish, and tattoos are not.

And God didn't "Change His mind". It was humans who changed. Kind of like how you prohibit a 6-yr-old from carrying around a loaded firearm or driving a car or drinking alcohol, but at age 21 the rules change. The rules don't change because parents change their minds; the rules change because the child has matured. At the time the OT law was written the Israelites were living in the Stone Age. Living swine could pass on infectious diseases to humans, along with parasites from under cooked pork. Shellfish went bad quickly and could cause severe sickness; primitive tattoos could cause infections and spread disease. Many OT laws were written with the goal of protecting a Stone Age society.

At the time the New Testament was written humans were living in a different age. Food could be cooked properly, etc. The rules were changed to reflect the maturity of humanity.

That said, many believe that homosexuality is included in the "sexual immorality" prohibition. Maybe your interpretation is different; there's some ambiguity around the phrase "born eunuch" in Matthew 19:12. This brings us to this:
Quote:
Exactly. The law is bogus and should be overturned or repealed. The attacks on Christianity as a whole based on the actions of a few are equally bogus.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 04-10-2016 at 02:55 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
None of gods laws say not to bake serve others in a business. There is not thou shall not serve cake to gays in the bible. BUT there is a verse that says render unto Caesar that which is Caesars. Businesses and a nations laws belong to Caesar. This is not a theocracy and your personal beliefs do not trump generally applicable law.

And if god wanted to end the US for acting like sodom, gays would have nothing to do with it.

"Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."
The fact that you do not capitalize the "G" in "God" proves you're a God hater, so your points have no merit in this discussion; they're just drivel. What's more, you're just throwing a temper tantrum because God condemned homosexual behavior.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:23 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,162,165 times
[quote=GrandviewGloria;43660921]
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post

Ask, and ye shall receive! (See, I can be Biblical, too! But I don't think I can improve on the 'Sodom & Gomorrah' post, above. That one was just simply amazing.) http://socialsouthmag.com/wp-content...mbreros-18.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...yy_400x400.jpg

And I know you'll like this one, of Whitney in one of her boutiques: http://inspirems.co/uploads/3/3/5/7/...41145_orig.jpg

Kudos to Whitney for having her eyebrows keyed to the deeper tones in her hair color, and for knowing that a translucent sombrero gives you marvelous protection from unflattering downlighting, while still providing a nice ambient glow for the face.
What a fabulous post to shine a light on some of our Southern Belles! This was such a refreshing read after the ugliness of Sodom!

Old 04-10-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
The fact that you do not capitalize the "G" in "God" proves you're a God hater, so your points have no merit in this discussion; they're just drivel. What's more, you're just throwing a temper tantrum because God condemned homosexual behavior.
I no more hate god than I hate the tooth fairy. I simply do not believe in it.

Honestly I don't care what your god thinks, I care about the civil laws of this SECULAR country. You can follow your god to your hearts content, but when it comes to matters of state, including state licensed businesses, then civil law is what matters.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:16 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,417,657 times
Quote:
I no more hate god than I hate the tooth fairy. I simply do not believe in it.

Honestly I don't care what your god thinks, I care about the civil laws of this SECULAR country. You can follow your god to your hearts content, but when it comes to matters of state, including state licensed businesses, then civil law is what matters.
Mississippi passed a law last year banning the use of of foreign law (especially Sharia law) in state courts. I guess this is the bookend to that; we don't need any foreign bigotry when we can enact it ourselves.

'Murica!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi