Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 09:39 AM

13 posts, read 17,770 times

Advertisements

I'm from drew ms and I think in my opinion the delta is the most rural area in the south eastern united states. Aside from swamp lands in LA and mountains in the Ozarks I feel the delta is the most rural practically livable area in the south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 01:36 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,892,332 times
There are areas in GA and TN that are very rural once you get outside of the major populations centers, Toomsboro, GA is one such place. Since the delta is flat and you can see forever and drive on roads that are straight shots from one town to the next, I never feel isolated there.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:53 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,241,513 times
If you define "rural" as "few people and towns", then no it is not. The most rural areas in the south would be various areas in the Appalachians. Western part of Virginia, eastern Kentucky, western North Carolina, etc.

And these areas don't even come close to the ruralness of the western USA.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:38 PM

13 posts, read 17,770 times
I was talking about strictly vastness of basically nothin Ness. I feel the mountains are different kind of rural I'm talking about farm lands just nothing but farm as far as the eyes can see. And I'm talking strictly southeastern

Old 04-24-2016, 03:54 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
I would cal it very rural, all of the MS delta.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:14 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
I bet the Mississippi Delta region is one of the flattest and least populated regions in the Southeast. Outside of the Appalachian region of TN, KY, VA, NC, WV and the swamp region in South Florida around Lake Okeechobee is extremely flat and very sparsely populated. After those two regions, I'd say Mississippi Delta region is the 3rd most rural area of the Southeast.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:14 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,241,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpadams View Post
I was talking about strictly vastness of basically nothin Ness. I feel the mountains are different kind of rural I'm talking about farm lands just nothing but farm as far as the eyes can see. And I'm talking strictly southeastern
That's just it. A farm isn't "nothing"; it's a farm. Yes, the Delta region is very rural. But there are roads everywhere, houses everywhere (spread out, but there), small towns, churches, stores, etc.

I have traveled a lot for work all over the country, and there are much more rural areas than the MS Delta. But if you want to limit it to the south-east, then as already mentioned there are the Appalachians (for what it's worth, eastern TN can't really be considered "rural" because it's mostly National Forest/National Park land). But you changed the definition to include "flat". Then comes the swampland of Florida, except that's also mostly protected public land so really can't count. What should count is the Cajun-country swampland around the Atchafalaya river in Louisiana... little to no development whatsoever, but people do live there. And we haven't even mentioned Texas yes, which is technically part of the "southeastern United States". Several Texas counties are included on lists of Counties with the Least Population Density, with densities as low as 0.12 person / square mile for Loving County, Texas. By comparison Mississippi's least dense county, Issaquena, comes in at a relatively urban 3.4 people/square mile.

Honestly, you could keep changing the definition of "rural" to eventually eliminate everywhere else and finally elevate the MS Delta to "most rural". You also seem to be implying that you consider a lack of trees to be a requirement for being "rural", which definitely puts the Delta at or near the top in the Southeast.

But the reality is that, while the MS Delta is one of the most desolate and economically hopeless regions in the US, is it not the worst.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 04-25-2016 at 07:38 AM..

Old 04-25-2016, 08:14 PM

151 posts, read 193,818 times
I know this is off-subject but I must say the MS-delta area has some of the best blues.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Garcia View Post
I know this is off-subject but I must say the MS-delta area has some of the best blues.
Mississippi and blues is like New Orleans and jazz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi