U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:35 PM

212 posts, read 874,513 times

Advertisements

Misssissippi's weather sounds better than Nebraska's weather. I would choose the hurricanes and humidity over Nebraska's weather anyday. In Nebraska, the winters are extremely cold with snow that sticks around forever. Spring is great if you don't have allergies. June isn't bad, but it can still be very hot and humid on some days. July and August are the bad months for extreme temperatures and humidity. It starts to get cold fast once fall is here. Did I mention the tornadoes? There is a city in Nebraska that was pretty much gone after a tornado. Hallam, if you know the cities in Nebraska very well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 02:49 PM

767 posts, read 2,201,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
I would choose the hurricanes Did I mention the tornadoes? There is a city in Nebraska that was pretty much gone after a tornado. Hallam, if you know the cities in Nebraska very well.
Mississippi had over 40,000 homes destroyed by Katrina.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:12 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,301,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
Mississippi had over 40,000 homes destroyed by Katrina.
Yeah, and your point is?

Old 06-20-2008, 09:15 PM

81 posts, read 297,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltagirl74 View Post
The only thing that you will need to learn and be able to adapt to in order to live in Mississippi is the weather.
Understand that we do have 4 seasons:

Almost Summer
Summer
Still Summer
Christmas

If you can accept that this is the Mississippi way and you like Sweet Tea, you will be fine.
Delta Girl, That is a wonderful description of Mississippi weather! I lived there for years before moving to SC. I'm going to share that with my family who still live in Clinton, MS. Thanks for the smile that generated!!!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:57 PM

212 posts, read 874,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltagirl74 View Post
The only thing that you will need to learn and be able to adapt to in order to live in Mississippi is the weather.
Understand that we do have 4 seasons:

Almost Summer
Summer
Still Summer
Christmas

If you can accept that this is the Mississippi way and you like Sweet Tea, you will be fine.
So when you say "Christmas", I assuming you mean that your winter is very short, and the rest of the year is like summer or almost like summer.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:11 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,301,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
So when you say "Christmas", I assuming you mean that your winter is very short, and the rest of the year is like summer or almost like summer.
The Gulf coast in Mississippi, gets winter.. its just not very long... or cold.. not that I recall any ways. Its the summers that you dread.. thank god its only like 3 months of humid hell and then the nice warm mild fall, winter and spring.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:42 PM

80 posts, read 268,475 times
I live in north Ms and there are definitely 4 seasons. I work outside every day. Here it is.....Jan, Feb cold; March, April, May great; June, July, August hot & dry; Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec....is great. I do not stay in the AC during the day, so I know it is definitely not the worse. my .02

Old 06-25-2008, 07:52 AM

81 posts, read 297,474 times
Default 4 seasons

Yes, that's what my husband said when I told him the quote. He works outside too. But...there is a slight difference in N. Ms from Central, where we were from. You get snow a bit more! Woo Hoo!

It just seems like the summer heat lasts forever! Humidity too. But it's still not like the jungle thank goodness.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:16 AM

21 posts, read 57,471 times
I guess I am weird, I love the heat! MM

Old 09-08-2008, 08:16 PM

5,446 posts, read 3,158,085 times
Speaking as a native of a town an hour from Vicksburg...

Summer (muggy and humid): April to October

Sort of Autumn (warm, but dry):October especially - but can extend into November and even December in some years. Fall colors DO happen in most if not all Mississippi!

Autumn / Sort of Winter: Winter can't make up it's mind. So yes, it does get chilly there in the winter, with snow fairly common in the northern part of the state. Cloudy, windy, rainy and cold. Weather yo-yos all over the place this time of year. Be prepared for rapidly changing temperatures (this is especially true for South Miss, and even Central Miss). It can be in the 60s or even 70s one day, sunny..then rainy and cold the next few days, then clear and cold, and every other combination you can think of. That's what it's like to live in the subtropics (and Mississippi, plus the rest of the Deep South, is considered subtropical). It's the winter battle zone between tropical and polar air masses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi