Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:34 AM

21 posts, read 58,735 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, Thank you for your thoughts. The winters here are dreary, certainly not as long as midwest of US; but long enough for me. Sounds like you have winter but short--2 months is good. I can take heat-even humidity. I used to live around Houston and l went to school in Florida. Thanks again, MM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 12:29 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltagirl74 View Post
The only thing that you will need to learn and be able to adapt to in order to live in Mississippi is the weather.
Understand that we do have 4 seasons:

Almost Summer
Summer
Still Summer
Christmas

If you can accept that this is the Mississippi way and you like Sweet Tea, you will be fine.
I rememebr when I was in Quitman County from Octoebr 2003 to June 2004, it snowed ONCE.. the third time in six years.

Add to that it was 75 degrees and slightly humid on Christmas day!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:37 PM

9 posts, read 47,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Yeah, and your point is?
His point is that being flippant about hurricanes on an MS thread might not be the kindest thing to do after what this state has endured.

Hallam, NB has a population of like 300 people. You do the math.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:21 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltagirl74 View Post
The only thing that you will need to learn and be able to adapt to in order to live in Mississippi is the weather.
Understand that we do have 4 seasons:

Almost Summer
Summer
Still Summer
Christmas

If you can accept that this is the Mississippi way and you like Sweet Tea, you will be fine.
I know- I would love it! Sick of IA and the snow! My friend from Louisiana told me there were only a few seasons..(summer and your variations on summer, and Christmas basically). I was a bit surprised at first- also she didn't know what Indian Summer meant, but then I realized the South was different with seasons- I'm just so used to someone knowing what that means. Anyone from up north knows what Indian Summer means. Honestly, snow isn't fun. Hurricanes aren't either, but having heard about them from my friend, I know I could deal with it, as I have heard about them from her in great, great detail and extensively communicated with her about them during the ones late this summer Ike and Gustav (albeit they weren't as bad).I am tired of the snow, last winter in IA was terrible. Snow is great when a novelty to people but when a reality with below zero temperatures, no thanks.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:25 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,947,688 times
Dont you mean..

Slightly Humid, - Almost nil.
Humid,
OH MY GOD HUMID - I think I'm gonna die
Christmas.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:55 AM

27 posts, read 90,025 times
I laugh when I hear locals tell me they like the cold and the snow, I really don't think they understand! Snow from a northern prespective, is not fun, especially when it hits in Nov, and doesn't come off the ground until April! Constantly shovelling driveways, kids unable to look for Easter eggs cuz it is to cold or snowy! Taking an extra 20-30 minutes since you have to bundle up little ones before they leave. NO SIR we like it JUST fine down here, none of that again!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,751 times
Default Should I stay or should I go?

I live in Kingston Ontario Canada which is half way between Toronto and Montreal. The population is around 100,000 and the city is really quite beautiful. I have two cousins that grew up in Meridian Miss. with their father being in the Navy. He has passed away as has his wife, and my cousins left about 15 years ago for California. One of them Laura has since passed away and Sandra still lives and loves California. I have always loved the looks of Mississippi and its food. I was wondering if there still exists any type of ethinic issues. As a Canadian would I be treated any different than anyone else. Is the racial card still an issue? I would love to move down, I am 53 and thinking of retiring. Anyfeed back would be great.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 PM

49 posts, read 164,698 times
Here in the land of Oz, we can have all 4 seasons in one day!

Three days ago it was almost 70 degrees and sunny, now it's 15 degrees with freezing rain....

Our favorite saying is: If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes, it will change!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 PM

81 posts, read 309,602 times
Red face To Mississippi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbrook9 View Post
I live in Kingston Ontario Canada which is half way between Toronto and Montreal. The population is around 100,000 and the city is really quite beautiful. I have two cousins that grew up in Meridian Miss. with their father being in the Navy. He has passed away as has his wife, and my cousins left about 15 years ago for California. One of them Laura has since passed away and Sandra still lives and loves California. I have always loved the looks of Mississippi and its food. I was wondering if there still exists any type of ethinic issues. As a Canadian would I be treated any different than anyone else. Is the racial card still an issue? I would love to move down, I am 53 and thinking of retiring. Anyfeed back would be great.
Wow, it must be great to retire at 53 ! I lived in Mississippi for 50 years, my family and my husband's family for many generations. We moved to South Carolina, in an area just a few minutes from Charlotte, NC 3 years ago. It is absolutely beautiful here. Can go to the mountains or the ocean in a matter of 1 to 3 hours. Everyone you meet here is from somewhere else it seems. Lots of New Jersey, Ohio, Calif. and Michigan people. But the feel is still Southern. The food is still Southern, but there are many different types of restaurants to choose from, as Charlotte is very cosmopolitan. It's basically a red state, though it's turning blue as people try to escape high taxes, poor infrastructure, bad schools and crime. And still vote for California type policies. Though California wants us, SC, along with all the other states to bail them out of their debt.

About Mississippi....we lived right outside of Jackson, but have been to and through Meridian many times. And just about everywhere in between, above and below, and to the West. I would not move back to Mississippi for anything other than family needing me, or knowing it was a divine appointment. Mississippi can be beautiful at times, and the people are for the most part great. Hospitality is wonderful. The town I was from had the most amazing families, schools, and churches, and would really help each other. But the opportunities, unless you are an entrepreneur, are probably better elsewhere. And I wouldn't want to live to an old age there and have to depend on someone other than family to take care of me, unless I had a lot of money for a really nice 'home'. The lower paid workers in the hospitals and nursing homes I've seen at work there scare me with their 'don't care' attitude.

There is very little overt racism in the Jackson area. One or 2 loud-mouth lawyers who are neo-nazi types that make the news, but have little following. There is a lot of gang and thug activity in Jackson. (As there is in Charlotte, and most cities, as the MTV and BET lifestyles multiply, and the consequences of those lifestyles grow.)
The newspapers try to keep it (racism) going to sell papers. Every day, (and I still read the Clarion Ledger on-line) there is always a story of how bad racism still is, and how much has to be overcome. In actuality, as someone who belonged to a VERY multi-racial church for 20 years while in Mississippi, and lived in about a 50/50 town racially mixed town.... people with a strong value system, will love and respect each other, and help each other, no matter what the race or nationality. The ones without a strong sense of values and decency, commit crimes, live off the government, don't care for their off-spring, demand a lot and take a lot from society, and they do affect you and your property values. And those lifestyles causes problems for white and black communities alike.

Is it like that in Canada? I'm sure you can find a nice community in any state in the US that has good people you can develop relationships with.
I would choose someplace other than Mississippi, for the long haul. Especially with the path our Fed. government has been taking lately. You will need to be someplace with good infrastructure, and a good tax paying base. And a lot of people with a strong work ethic, unselfishness, and know how to keep going when the going gets tough, honestly. Because, unless we have a war, (not hoping for one) inflation is about to rise. (at least it has historically, when the government has done what they're doing now .)

Don't move there just for Nostalgia. Check out City-Data's info on every state you're considering, and then read their papers online, and research how and if their governments help or hurt the economy.

Sorry if I got a little political, but it's life. And politics and regulations, contribute to all state and city standards of living.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:06 AM

78 posts, read 394,518 times
Mississippi is very good for retired folks over 65. You pay no state income tax on ANY retirement benefits. Your property tax is greatly reduced. Tax on my modest house (value about $150K) was $73.00 for 08
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi