Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 08:46 PM

75 posts, read 107,087 times

Advertisements

It surprises me more people don't move to this area. Let's go over the positives:

1) Best school district in the state (or close to it)

2) Low priced, nice homes all over the place.

3) Close to the ocean.

4) Nice, clean city.

5) 10,000 population

6) Malls and services all within 10-15 miles in other cities.

7) It's nicer than Pascaguloa and Guitier. Safer than Biloxi

8) The weather is perfection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 08:20 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
I agree with all of your points. I moved to Ocean Springs three months before Katrina. I had never experienced a hurricane and basically all I knew about hurricanes was some folks have hurricane parties. I lived South of HWY 90 and I was one of the lucky ones that did not flood. I stayed three years. Back then, every newscast, newspaper,scientist,weather person, etc was forecasting more, bigger, stronger hurricanes. My insurance went from $600/yr to $2500/yr. I finally decided I did not want to live the rest of my life running from hurricanes so I moved away from the coast.
They haven't had a hurricane since and I do miss the coast.
My advice is , live north of I-10, price insurance before you move and if there is a weather event happening and its first letter is "H", evacuate early.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:32 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
I've never been to Ocean Springs but yes, I've always heard great things about it too. Maybe I need to roll by there. If I ever did move to the Coast, I think I'd do like Southern man above, go north of the Interstate, at minimum, north of 90.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,949 times
Default Don't move to Ocean Springs

I have lived here for 13 years. I have a wonderful group of Godly Christian friends but I have been disappointed with how other children at OSMS and OSUE have bullied and treated my child. I left my old church because the people were the same. They were full of pride and unkind. I found a new church with people who are kind and really love the Lord. We left Laniers gymnastics and go to Planet in Mobile for the same reason pride and favortism. Planet treats people with respect, fairly, and do not have this pride that seems to permeate this area. There are also a lot of things going on here that get pushed under the rug and pretend never happen. Did you know that OSMS has a drug problem, kids got sent to the other school for doing things in the bathroom. Girls 13 and younger having boyfriends and then these same kids bully, pull pranks, and think they are all that. People here need to love their kids more than what they want others to think of them and then they can be proud for good reasons. These kids are acting just like the parents and will grow up with the same hurts and insecurities that these parents have. What's important is not what you think you have or what you have but who you are inside. Your doing your community and children a disservice by pretending your all that and not having love. A real Christian is known by their love and many in OS claim to be Christian but don't have love.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:56 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnFlanders View Post
I have lived here for 13 years. I have a wonderful group of Godly Christian friends but I have been disappointed with how other children at OSMS and OSUE have bullied and treated my child. I left my old church because the people were the same. They were full of pride and unkind. I found a new church with people who are kind and really love the Lord. We left Laniers gymnastics and go to Planet in Mobile for the same reason pride and favortism. Planet treats people with respect, fairly, and do not have this pride that seems to permeate this area. There are also a lot of things going on here that get pushed under the rug and pretend never happen. Did you know that OSMS has a drug problem, kids got sent to the other school for doing things in the bathroom. Girls 13 and younger having boyfriends and then these same kids bully, pull pranks, and think they are all that. People here need to love their kids more than what they want others to think of them and then they can be proud for good reasons. These kids are acting just like the parents and will grow up with the same hurts and insecurities that these parents have. What's important is not what you think you have or what you have but who you are inside. Your doing your community and children a disservice by pretending your all that and not having love. A real Christian is known by their love and many in OS claim to be Christian but don't have love.
Those problems are universal, not restricted to a particular time or place.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:25 AM

75 posts, read 107,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnFlanders View Post
Thanks for your perspective, Ann.

What church would you suggest?

We want nothing to do with people who are prideful or snobby.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:10 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
dont forget the bridge. walking the bridge, best past time in warm weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi