Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 03:58 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,076,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's not a government flagpole.
Whether this is a private endeavor or not seems important here. Grant money means tax dollars and where is the money coming from for upkeep? Is it a private foundation that is managing and maintaining this memorial? Can someone sort this aspect out?

If it is private and supported by a Christian constituency then fly the flag. But why the anger if it is public and the religious flag is not allowed? I don't get the hostility. Is the concept of no state supported religion itself something you are hostile to? I am asking the we will show them crowd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 06:22 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,725,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Whether this is a private endeavor or not seems important here. Grant money means tax dollars and where is the money coming from for upkeep? Is it a private foundation that is managing and maintaining this memorial? Can someone sort this aspect out?

If it is private and supported by a Christian constituency then fly the flag. But why the anger if it is public and the religious flag is not allowed? I don't get the hostility. Is the concept of no state supported religion itself something you are hostile to? I am asking the we will show them crowd?
It boils down to GENES, really. And this is just part of my Choctaw's-eye-view of the people who've come to these shores, to settle amongst us - but here goes:

The Norse and Hebrew families have largely decamped from Mississippi. What's left, among the whites, are descendants of the 'Untermenschen' among the Celts. The Celtic ruling classes were genetically distinct from the "Rabble". And it's the "Rabble" (primarily, although persons of ALL classes were seized and sold - or their children stolen, to be sold as white slaves) who were sold (or tricked) into slavery, and imported, with the intent of working them to death, on American plantations, just prior to the expansion of the African Slave Trade (Africans did not die, doing field-work in America's sweltering summers, and were not considered dangerous, as were the stocky, broad-faced pink people: Jackson Jambalaya: More details provided on Deaton capture). More 'Rabble' arrived in Mississippi, during European famines, causing even MORE of the Norse, Hebrew, and even African-American families, to flee the state.

People with better genetics, regardless of how their ancestors arrived on these shores, have been getting out of the Deep South, since before the Civil War. WWII, and the mobility following it, changed the trickle of the Best & Brightest, to an outright FLOOD of the smart, the capable, the rich, and the beautiful - leaving Mississippi.

Basically, Untercelts are very emotional. While a Swede or a Dane, or a German from the 'Good Parts' of Germany, will simply shrug and move on, when conditions become unfavorable, the Untercelts will dig-in (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludlow_Massacre), become territorial, become emotional, become defensive, and will RALLY AROUND SYMBOLS. Rationality has NOTHING to do with it. It's all about "feelings" and "beliefs" and icons.

Here, we have the usual mole hill, being made into a mountain. Basically, you have a group primarily drawn from the Low-bred among Wisconsin's Germans - descendants of the immigrants who are said to have undermined Wisconsin's individualistic New England ENGLISH culture, with their collectivist German ways of thinking (Untercelts, quite distinct from the better and more rational types of Germans) trying to FORCE another group of Untercelts (Mississippi "Skotch-Irish", and various hybrids thereof) to adhere to an ideology. The Mississippians already have TWO big ideologies to which they must adhere (Football and Religion), and are NOT interested in cowtowing to a third. Besides: they already had their own hybrid Football/Religion/Patriotic ideology perfected. They thought they WERE being The Best Little Boys in the Whole Wide World. And here are some Yankees, telling them they're BAD.

My friend from Beverly Hills KNEW he was being bad, when, as a prepubescent Benya Krik wannabe, he extorted the BIG money his older brother was making from renting himself out by-the-inch, and started loan-sharking with all that cash. (there were plenty of fledgling record producers, and film producers, up and down those canyons, who were always needing money...) He KNEW he was being bad, when he threatened to have his debitors killed, by rough characters he knew from Temple (this was the worst part, because he dropped those scary names without permission). And when the whole thing blew up, and his family snatched him out of his elite school, and plopped themselves down in Shreveport, he wasn't surprised, or particularly butt-hurt (Besides, he'd already paid-off the tax liens on the ranch, and restored his Great-grandmother's Imperial limousine, and so what-the-hey?).

And, as a child, I knew I was being bad, by poisoning the dogs of people in our "community" (the dogs that had terrorized me, as I walked to school), and I knew I was being bad, by simply existing. And so, whenever I'd get into trouble (mostly for existing), I didn't take it too hard. But the few times I've been censured for doing what I thought was good and right, I did get really, REALLY mad.

So, I can sympathize with the folks in that little Mississippi town, who thought they were being extra-good, only to have some Yankee buttinskis tell them they're bad - and about to be punished.

Personally, I think the LARGER ISSUE is the Yankees sticking their noses where they don't belong.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 03-04-2017 at 06:57 PM..

Old 03-05-2017, 09:34 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,076,653 times
Maybe that's why appeal to reason and common sense falls flat.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:23 AM
Status: "Repub's IVF ruling is anti-family and anti-America" (set 9 days ago)

5,783 posts, read 3,567,242 times
If it's state property, the government should not allow any blatantly religious paraphenalia on it. I'm sure you'd object to Satanists flying a flag with their symbol on state property.

Besides, the Founding Fathers were mostly deists, not Christians. Thomas Jefferson even wrote an edition of the New Testament without its supernatural parts! What does that tell you? "They are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights". It did not say God as commonly understood among Americans in 1776, or even mention any specific supernatural entity at all! "Creator" could be the Hindu or Shinto or Ancient Greek, Roman, or Norse deities -- or simply nature "created" people. Our Constitution simply does not take a position on any religion whatsoever - Christian or otherwise.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:34 AM

25,361 posts, read 17,015,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
If it's state property...........
It isn't.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:39 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,411,386 times
Quote:
It isn't.
Then whose property is it? City?

There is a part of me that doesn't care what some podunk, middle-of-nowhere town does with itself. It's almost like that town in Alabama where the local drive-in won't show the upcoming live-action 'Beauty and the Beast' because one supporting character is gay (Owners of drive-in opt not to air Beauty and the Beast because of homosexual character | WHNT.com). Both town are almost in the same geographical area for their state. It's almost the same amount of care I put into some small Taliban-controlled village in Afghanistan; centuries of narrow-minded thinking isn't going to change anytime soon. Does it make it right? No, but how much fight can you put into enlightening religious zealots?

BTW, there are efforts in Russia to keep 'Beauty and the Beast' out of Russia for the same reasons: Russia considers BANNING new Disney's Beauty And The Beast | Daily Mail Online

Whadda country!

Old 03-08-2017, 01:02 AM
Status: "Repub's IVF ruling is anti-family and anti-America" (set 9 days ago)

5,783 posts, read 3,567,242 times
Quote:
It isn't.
From the very link in the OP

Last week, a Madison, Wisconsin group wrote a letter to the mayor of a small Northeast Mississippi town, threatening a lawsuit if a Christian flag wasn’t removed from a public building.

On Saturday, the Rienzi community protested the flag’s removal.

This veterans memorial in downtown Rienzi was erected last year.

Well it seems to be public property. I could be wrong, but unless someone proves to me that the state, the county, the town of Rienzi, or any other governmental body provided exactly $0.00 funding, I have to conclude it is publically funded in some way.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:57 AM

25,361 posts, read 17,015,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
.......... I could be wrong, but unless someone proves to me that the state, the county, the town of Rienzi, or any other governmental body provided exactly $0.00 funding, I have to conclude it is publically funded in some way.
Most people think that matters in some way. I am finding it doesn't.

Jake MacAulay says it doesn't matter:
[LEFT]So, the legal question I present to you is whether the city has broken the law by flying a Christian flag, among others, at a Veterans memorial? In other words, does flying a flag equate to Congress making a law, the effect of which is to establish an official United States religion?
Well, the answer seems to clearly be “NO” for at least two very simple reasons:
1. The city of Renzi is NOT “Congress”
2. A flag being hung is not a “law”

Jake MacAulay - Should a Mississippi Town Have to Remove a Christian Flag?

“Congress shall make no Law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…” .. And Congress didn't.

Or you could refer - as someone did - to the 14th amendment.
No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States;... Again, the legal people can find no law that was made or enforced.

I think the Freedom From Religion group just engages in bluster. They have no legal footing and get their business done by intimidation.
You may be interested in the fact that the FFR Foundation loses most of their lawsuits. College chaplains, President's Prayer Day, WW II Memorial Jesus Statue, "In God We Trust" on our currency - the FFR Foundation has backed down from everyone who has the money to fight back.

https://aclj.org/religious-liberty/n...dation-lawsuit

Old 03-08-2017, 09:02 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,741,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
An organization forces a small town without deep pockets to capitulate by threatening a lawsuit over a harmless symbol that resonates with at least 99 percent of the local population. It is called punching down.
It's called the First Amendment.

The town government shouldn't be endorsing a religion.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,741,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Kind of hard when your whole democracy was founded based on a Christian worldview.

Is that so hard for anti-Christians to understand?

I'm not spouting a Christian agenda here. I'm simply giving you facts. In 1776, the founding fathers never in a million years anticipated any other religion influencing our government except Christianity. Our entire democracy is based upon it. And mark my words, your religion/worldview WILL be at the center of your government. It has to be. Democracy was not just floated out of thin air. If you remove the Christianity, then atheism and agnosticism will take its place, or even islam, depending on the majority of the population.
Democracy does not depend on Christianity. Simple Fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi