Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2017, 07:18 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,373,730 times

Advertisements

Thanks Gloria... wish I could rep you again.

I like the hot water idea for the ants. The neighbors told me to use poison, or just leave them alone because they'll come back. The hot water idea is a better option. I'm going to try that tomorrow.

People are so nice here... Every time I drive down the back road, I have to stop at every house to chat. People are always sitting on their porches, working in their yards, etc. and smile and wave me over, so I'll stay at least 15 min. visiting. I don't know if this is a normal thing, or just because I'm new. And I know they absolutely loved my uncle.

The kids/younger adults call me ma'am, and most men, and also every store clerk/waiter/service person. I'm in my 40's, so not that elderly.

After finishing lunch today, I kept trying to leave the table, but the waiter kept refilling my tea glass and insisting I stay. Totally different from a Chicago restaurant where they're trying to quickly turn a table. I'm not used to all that hospitality.

Yes, my property has river frontage, which is why I'm worried about the water moccasins. Thanks for pointing out possibility of hidden wells also. I didn't even think of that.

I have only been around the perimeter of the property. I don't want to hike it alone, which is why I was thinking of going with the neighbor on ATV. But I just met him so am hesitant on that. I'll probably wait to explore until I come back next month with my husband. I don't know who's hunting there either - just worried that neighbors all have rifles and told me they shoot snakes when they see them on the property. Just makes me nervous.

We do have 2 cabins on the property, with electric, water and septic. There are also ponds, rivers, lots of pine forest, as well as some flat fields that seem suitable for homes. I don't know. Maybe it isn't that marketable. I will try to get some market analysis from realtors next month.

I don't really like fried food either, or bottom-eating fish. But I will eat the fried catfish to be polite. Also, there are some free range chickens, turkey, mangy dogs, cats, donkeys wondering around that all approach and will follow me. There are also some ramshackle houses, broken down cars/trailers, and junk/car part filled front yards. But then you see beautifully manicured, historic southern homes next door to that..

Now I see the sun setting over the river with the majestic backdrop of a verdant pine forest and hear crickets chirping, and coyotes yelping I think. At night, I am by myself in the woods wishing for a dog and maybe a gun for protection from the unknown. I'm just not used to this environment yet. I'm not sure what to do with this land. Maybe I don't belong here.

And the music I like includes Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters - the blues and jazz (especially the slap bass) - and that music is from this place, as well as Chicago.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 02-20-2017 at 07:45 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 07:58 PM

What can you tell me about rural areas near Crystal Springs, MS?-image.png

Here's a pic I took earlier of the sunset....

Old 02-20-2017, 09:18 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
GG did a good job answering, I'll add my two cents....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Thank you everyone for the informative responses - sorry I am just responding back now. I caught a flight to MS on Saturday, so am in Crystal Springs now.

First impressions... very beautiful country and probably some of the nicest people I've ever met - neighbors have already stopped by the cottage with Welcome baskets of food/wine. I also visited the Robert Johnson Blues museum in town, which was pretty cool, and stopped at some shops and parks...

Some things I'm trying to figure out....

- How to politely extricate myself from extremely slow moving conversations with the locals - I have some work to take care of so can't shoot the sh*t indefinitely (I'm too much of a Northerner I guess?). Also, do I talk too fast here (it seems like it)?

Tell them the earth is several billion years old, just kidding, I don't want to get you burned at the stake.

- Can I safely hike the property (in my Hunter boots) without worrying about snake bite or being accidently shot at by a random hunter.... ATVers and hunters are using the land. And how much should I really worry about water moccasins and wild boars in the woods?

You need to stop the hunters/ATV riders by putting up no trespassing signs, you my incur liability in case someone where to get hurt (ATVs can be dangerous, especially when operated by young'uns). Mississippi courts are as crooked as a television preacher, and being from out of town, they'd see you as an easy mark. Deer season is over, but be sure to wear bright clothes and make a lot of noise, just in case. For snakes, wear long pants and work boots and walk with a long stick to disturb the ground in front of you. Water moccasins (cotton mouths) wake up in bad mood, they are very territorial and about the only snake that doesn't take kindly to giving way to humans. Depending on your water features, you may need to stay alert to gators.

- Should I go catfishing tonight with a neighbor, and do I even want to clean/eat catfish? Also, do I dare try that fried catfish from that catfish shack in town?

Male neighbor, you and him alone? No. But yes try the fried catfish.

- The cottage on the property is surrounded by fire ant mounds - what should I do about those?

The hot water trick will not kill the queen, it will only serve to relocate the colony. Poison kills the queen, go to your local co-op and they will hook you up.

- Is the water safe to drink?

Yes.

- Is the "crossroads" anywhere close to here? If so, I want to go.

It's north in the delta (go with your husband, it's a third world country).

- Should I meet the neighbor at Waffle House tomorrow for breakfast?

- Why does everyone call me ma'am - am I supposed to respond in kind?

- Should I take up the friendly neighbor's offer to show me around my property on his ATV? Everyone seems to know every inch of the property and have friends who "might want to rent from me" (translation - put a trailer on the property?).

Male neighbor, no. Be careful when neighbors are too kind. Don't rent it out, the little money won't be worth the hassle. Sell, if you're not interested in retiring or vacationing there.

- I am now hearing land goes for $7K/acre - accurate?

Not even close, unless it is zoned commercial and has highway footage or has a good stand of hardwood timber or some other minerals. If it is just raw land or pasture land, it is likely worth $2k an acre, but a realtor will be able to give you a better estimate. The cabins on it may increase the value.

I think I'm experiencing culture shock. I've been to the south many, many times before, but I guess just the big city/touristy areas. I'm a little overwhelmed by all this now. Everything feels strange. I will keep you posted.
And finally, People drive long distances to buy meat from Wilsons, check them out.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:28 AM

Thank you Viverlibre....

The $7k/acre figure I did get from a realtor I met from the area who somewhat knows the property. Maybe that is exaggerated so I will list with him. I was also told it is eligible for no-down payment Mississippi rural loan (never heard of that)... Not sure if I even need a realtor as I could do sale by owner. But I'm not from the area so need someone to show the property and need a lot of guidance on local real estate transactions.

It is not that far from the highway, and is majority forest though not sure what exact trees are in there. Maybe I should try to market it toward a timber company - would they clear cut it? Then I'd be that evil outsider that decimated the local forest? There are books in the cabin about preserving the Mississippi forests - I think my uncle wanted me to be a steward of this land. Maybe I should donate it to Mississipi Department of Natural Resources?

I agree about the trespassing signage, though I don't want to p*ss off the neighbors too much. Seems like everyone shares everything around here, and they seem to look after things. E.g. They mow/landscape the yard around the cabin to be nice (will not take my $) and keep an eye out. I do have a large umbrella insurance policy that should cover everything, but I'll talk to my insurance agent more about this.

The neighbors have also asked me to please consider them when selling the property, as they want someone who is "nice"....They were very good to my uncle. Possibility I can disappoint.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:01 AM

Here are some timber prices...

TimberMart-South | South-wide Average Prices

I think there is a lot of pine on the property - the kind used to make telephone poles (is that priced at "pine saw timber"?).

Also, this pine grows fast, right? How often could it be harvested?

Should I get a professional land/timber assessment? Don't know where to start on this. Do I call MS forestry department first?

p.s. I just looked at the satellite view and it looks like more hardwood trees, so maybe it's a mixture of pine and hardwood - hard to tell from pictures. It is very dense with trees. Also, it looks like we are surrounded on all sides by logging companies.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 02-21-2017 at 08:44 AM..

Old 02-21-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpevey View Post
I grew up in this area.
The best to desribe it
is that it is a island
surrounded bygravel
pits . The old people
with money control
every thing. If land is
put up sale i can who
buys it.
And who would that be?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:23 AM

Economic forecast for southern Mississippi timber looks good...

Southern Timber Could Hit New High by 2017 - Growing Mississippi

Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 AM

Some useful links I found RE: timber sales...

http://extension.msstate.edu/content...s-2013-present

Selling Your Timber | Mississippi Forestry Commission

https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/timber-...for-landowners

Old 02-21-2017, 11:03 AM

I think there is mainly Loblolly pine in the forest, plus some hardwoods I haven't identified yet.

I think I need to put together a forest management plan.

This property is getting more complicated by the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi