U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-04-2017, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
2,389 posts, read 1,579,216 times
Reputation: 1830

Advertisements

1. Jackson - 111.05
2. Gulfport- 55.59
3. Meridian- 53.74
4. Hattiesburg- 53.59
5. Tupelo- 51.14
6. Clinton- 41.82
7. Southaven- 41.25
8. Biloxi- 38.22
9. Olive Branch- 36.70
10. Vicksburg- 32.98

Source: Census Bureau 2010.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2017, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Madison, MS
1,031 posts, read 1,239,232 times
Reputation: 434
Ok. And?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2017, 05:03 PM
 
1,182 posts, read 1,434,463 times
Reputation: 2393
I would have guessed Meridian was smaller than Tupelo and Hattiesburg. Olive Branch and Southaven and essentially the same town, that illustrates the growth of that area as people flee Memphis. A similar argument could be made for Gulfport and Biloxi being the same town, but there are historical divisions between the two.

Mississippi is often compared to Alabama, but Bama has much larger populations centers.

Birmingham city
212,237

Montgomery city
205,764

Mobile city
195,111

Huntsville city
180,105

Tuscaloosa city
90,468

Hoover city
81,619

Dothan city
65,496

Decatur city
55,683

Auburn city
53,380
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2017, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
2,389 posts, read 1,579,216 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Ok. And?
And 3 more years will see have any cities annex that could change the listing. Also it gives visitors and transplants an idea of how widespread the infrastructure of the location.

Ex: 4 Manhattans can fit inside Jackson, 5 Comptons can fit in Gulfport, or Boston can fit in Meridian , etc

Geography.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2017, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
654 posts, read 554,327 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
I would have guessed Meridian was smaller than Tupelo and Hattiesburg. Olive Branch and Southaven and essentially the same town, that illustrates the growth of that area as people flee Memphis. A similar argument could be made for Gulfport and Biloxi being the same town, but there are historical divisions between the two.

Mississippi is often compared to Alabama, but Bama has much larger populations centers.

Birmingham city
212,237

Montgomery city
205,764

Mobile city
195,111

Huntsville city
180,105

Tuscaloosa city
90,468

Hoover city
81,619

Dothan city
65,496

Decatur city
55,683

Auburn city
53,380
I believe the OP was listing the 10 largest cities in Mississippi by square miles, not population.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2017, 04:08 PM
 
1,182 posts, read 1,434,463 times
Reputation: 2393
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
I believe the OP was listing the 10 largest cities in Mississippi by square miles, not population.
well never mind then.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Summerville SC
851 posts, read 927,515 times
Reputation: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
I believe the OP was listing the 10 largest cities in Mississippi by square miles, not population.


ok here is the top 10 by population


Top 10 cities in Mississippi by population



#1 Jackson - 173,631
#2 Gulfport- 69,913
#3 Southaven - 50,389
#4 Hattiesburg - 46,629
#5 Biloxi - 44,527
#6 Meridian - 40,809
#7 Tupelo - 35,345
#8 Olive Branch - 34,543
#9 Greenville - 33,518
#10 Horn Lake - 26,486
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2017, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
2,389 posts, read 1,579,216 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
ok here is the top 10 by population


Top 10 cities in Mississippi by population



#1 Jackson - 173,631
#2 Gulfport- 69,913
#3 Southaven - 50,389
#4 Hattiesburg - 46,629
#5 Biloxi - 44,527
#6 Meridian - 40,809
#7 Tupelo - 35,345
#8 Olive Branch - 34,543
#9 Greenville - 33,518
#10 Horn Lake - 26,486
If interested i could list the top ten by population from 1920 to 1990 as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2017, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Land of Ill Noise
2,772 posts, read 2,634,132 times
Reputation: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
If interested i could list the top ten by population from 1920 to 1990 as well.
I wouldn't mind if you did, please do. I like looking at historical Census population figures.

And I agree with the above poster, in thinking Hattiesburg and Tupelo would be bigger than Meridian. Interesting that isn't the case.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top