Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 9,539 times

Advertisements

I was searching for info on Natchez and came across someone else's post for the same thing. My original worries were about employment there. Now I have bigger questions. A lot of the people wrote about racism issues there and I am wanting to know more. Reason being, my sons father is wanting me to relocate there in January from the Nashville area. We met when he was living elsewhere so I have never been to Natchez. Question being, He is black and I am white and I have a 2-year-old biracial son. Is it as bad as the others have made it out to be? He says its fine but he has never dated a white girl before me and I'm afraid he just simply wasn't exposed to a lot of what people were talking about. Anyways, any insight would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to move someplace where my son would have problems.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 19,841 times
It's just like any other place. It depends on what circles you run and how you want to socialize. It's more of a class/income issue than a race issue anyway. Although, I saw and felt more racism from blacks than whites when I lived there. I am white and tried to look everyone in the eye, smile and say please and thanks. Most black people I encountered couldn't give me even one of those courtesies in return. So I moved to a place that is new and nice and friendly with good schools and jobs. You would be better off going to a larger place that is not so sour and gloomy. Believe me you'll feel like you've landed into quicksand if you go there.

Last edited by Jammie; 02-06-2007 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: offensive language

Old 12-26-2006, 11:41 PM

564 posts, read 2,340,855 times
If you're talking about racism, it's black on white a lot of the time in Mississippi. That's just the way it goes. Doesn't mean it doesn't work both ways. But still.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 9,540 times
This message is in reply to ahale28's inquiry concerning moving to Natchez. Moderator cut: personal Anyhow, Natchez is like anywhere else. You will have those who disagree with your choice and you will have those who care less. That is anywhere. Natchez is a small town and as with any small town you have a select few who want to run the town. There are limited jobs here but you can find one if you look. Don't be discouraged. If you don't like it here Baton Rouge, LA is not to far away or Jackson, MS. Give it a try. You might like it. Again, I ask that you not be discouraged by the tainted view of another. I could go on a tyraid about the mean and racist white people here, but that would give a false impression upon the entire white population of the town. There are mean and nasty people EVERYWHERE in ALL COLORS. There are women of EVERY RACE on welfare EVERYWHERE not just here. I hope this helps you and good luck and god bless you in whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by Marka; 01-05-2007 at 05:51 AM..

Old 02-06-2007, 12:38 AM

401 posts, read 2,604,411 times
Man, I dont know how I got on this thread but reading all of the previous posts, stuff is whack in Mississippi. I live in Ohio and whites and blacks get along just fine. There isnt near as high of a percentage of blacks but there is probably more black people that live in the Cleveland area than in the whole state of Mississippi. Just saying that although there isnt as high of a percentage, depending on where you live, there are lots of blacks - (Cleveland,Youngstown,Dayton,Cincinnati,Akron,Tole do) and there dont seem to be the kinda problems that you guys are talking about

Old 02-06-2007, 05:41 AM

22 posts, read 156,113 times
Wow, exNatchez girl, I've never clutched my purse when I walked by anyone...but it gets done to me quite often when I am down that way. Hmm....ex- means you haven't been there in how long? I am so hurt that there are still people that feel like we are ALL a "hateful, rude and resentful". And the other statement "They can shove their garden club - don't want anything to change vs the unwed black mother on welfare attitudes up their respective rumpuses"...the more things change the more they stay the same... I am single black mother, college educated, and I don't depend on the government for anything...let alone welfare. Moderator, why has this post remained?

Old 02-06-2007, 08:19 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTARHIT View Post
I am single black mother, college educated, and I don't depend on the government for anything...let alone welfare. Moderator, why has this post remained?
Moderator cut: offensive remarks
And I suppose the moderator has left the original post up due to a crazy concept called freedom of speech and opinion.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-05-2008 at 06:17 PM..

Old 02-06-2007, 09:37 AM

22 posts, read 156,113 times
I guess I am ignorant to the fact that there are still people in Mississippi that feel this way. I thought things had changed...

Old 02-06-2007, 11:35 AM

39 posts, read 289,398 times
Most black women DON'T depend on the government. While many women do - black and white - you can't judge a whole race by a small percentage. I am a black female, originally from Natchez, MS, college educated as well (and so is every other female in my family). My family is very stable financially and I don't personally know anyone who is on welfare. The perception is that mostly black people receive welfare, but in all actuality, there have historically been more whites on welfare than blacks. But no matter what race we are referring to, the number of welfare recipients is only a fraction of that race's population, and we should try to avoid stereotyping. There are good and bad, rich and poor, in all races.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:17 AM

227 posts, read 292,731 times
Oh BS. I get so sick of people up north saying they dont have the racial problems the south has. When is the last time we had race riots in the south? What about in sophisticated Los Angeles??

Fact is, the south is far more integrated that most northern cities. I'll bet southerners interact every day with people of WAY different socioeconomic class than most yankees do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Man, I dont know how I got on this thread but reading all of the previous posts, stuff is whack in Mississippi. I live in Ohio and whites and blacks get along just fine. There isnt near as high of a percentage of blacks but there is probably more black people that live in the Cleveland area than in the whole state of Mississippi. Just saying that although there isnt as high of a percentage, depending on where you live, there are lots of blacks - (Cleveland,Youngstown,Dayton,Cincinnati,Akron,Tole do) and there dont seem to be the kinda problems that you guys are talking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi