Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 02:42 PM

25,328 posts, read 16,963,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I've never heard the phrase "puttin the shuck". Is it similar to inviting a yankee to go "snipe hunting"?
Pretty similar.

Putting the shuck on someone is like pulling your leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 03:41 PM

1,257 posts, read 880,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I understand you, and I am from Mississippi. I've never been a coast guy either. I've lived on the Florida coast as well, the appeal just isn't there for me. The heat is simply sweltering down there. But there are some people that absolutely love that lifestyle. I don't really like New Orleans either.

Mississippi certainly has its issues statewide, and I think most native Mississippians (such as me) perpetually live on the fence as to whether we should join the effort to save it, or just leave and totally abandon the cause. Live for something, die for nothing, sort of thing.
Yes, the heat is pretty indescribable. And we were just in New Orleans today for an appt at Children Hospital. I'm sure I'm very much in the minority, but I don't get the appeal of that city at all. I think it really attracts certain types of people. We really enjoy a low key, quiet lifestyle ... not partying and the whole Bourbon St. scene. It's just a dirty place. I like the looks of Maine. As I said, fresh water, fresh air, fall leaves and a fire pit ... I'm happy. Life is too short to be miserable.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:08 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,182,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Yes, the heat is pretty indescribable. And we were just in New Orleans today for an appt at Children Hospital. I'm sure I'm very much in the minority, but I don't get the appeal of that city at all. I think it really attracts certain types of people. We really enjoy a low key, quiet lifestyle ... not partying and the whole Bourbon St. scene. It's just a dirty place. I like the looks of Maine. As I said, fresh water, fresh air, fall leaves and a fire pit ... I'm happy. Life is too short to be miserable.
Its time for you to pull a "Hank Snow".

Old 08-23-2017, 05:17 PM

I like this one:

"Now baby listen baby
Don't you treat me this way
Cause I'll be back
On my feet someday...

Don't care if you do
Cause it's understood
You ain't got no money
You just ain't no good...

Well I guess if you say so
I'll just pack my things and go

--Hit the road Jack."

And don't let the door hit ya on the way ouuut.
Bye bye bye.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I like this one:

"Now baby listen baby
Don't you treat me this way
Cause I'll be back
On my feet someday...

Don't care if you do
Cause it's understood
You ain't got no money
You just ain't no good...

Well I guess if you say so
I'll just pack my things and go

--Hit the road Jack."

And don't let the door hit ya on the way ouuut.
Bye bye bye.
Update, Thursday PM....

OK, SP. I guess the current weather map means you ain't gonna be moving to Galveston, TX, either....

Old 08-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Status: "Repub's IVF ruling is anti-family and anti-America" (set 20 hours ago)

5,781 posts, read 3,560,973 times
SouthernProper,

At least you gave it a try. As you implied in your northern Michigan winters part, it depends on what you're accustomed to. The natural stuff is beyond one's control, so people either have to take it or leave it. The trash and the human stuff, yeah, there is room to improve. At least you gave the area a try, and didn't go into rants and raves about it - and I respect you for it.

Good luck in your new abode, if and when you find a home there.

As for Southerners' leg-pullin.....remind me to tell you about Louisiana's Police Juries some time.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Update, Thursday PM....

OK, SP. I guess the current weather map means you ain't gonna be moving to Galveston, TX, either....
You can say that again! I've been researching the Portland/ Coastal Maine area, it's so gorgeous up there! But they've had some hurricanes and TS over the years, so crossing it off my list. I want ZERO chance of storm surge. I realize I'm pretty neurotic about it, but South Mississippi has ruined me. People think it's paradise down here, my paradise is high and dry.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:14 AM

Is anyone still reading here?

UPDATE:

I think we've had a change of plans (deep breaths). We will most likely be moving to Diamondhead ... north of I-10, to an area between 65-95' elevation, where Katrina damage was minimal.

It will be safe from storm surge, my biggest concern.

There are several pools there so my kids can enjoy swimming again!

A big, fenced backyard for our kids to play, and our dog can keep snakes out!

I can have a fire pit again! I know that seems like such a small, silly thing ... but we can't have one here in town and I've missed that so much!

Diamondhead is clean and well maintained.

So .... I will feel better about staying home for any storm through a Cat 2. We will have a generator, but will still leave for anything stronger than Cat 2 because of the damage to surrounding areas and the potential problems for weeks afterward. Overall, I'm still a little nervous about staying here ... it's a hard thing to live with, not feeling safe and secure in your town and home.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:

UPDATE:

I think we've had a change of plans (deep breaths). We will most likely be moving to Diamondhead ... north of I-10, to an area between 65-95' elevation, where Katrina damage was minimal.

I can have a fire pit again! I know that seems like such a small, silly thing ... but we can't have one here in town and I've missed that so much!

So .... I will feel better about staying home for any storm through a Cat 2. We will have a generator, but will still leave for anything stronger than Cat 2 because of the damage to surrounding areas and the potential problems for weeks afterward. Overall, I'm still a little nervous about staying here ... it's a hard thing to live with, not feeling safe and secure in your town and home.
Lotsa people still reading.

Hang in there SP! I was kind of wondering if the rain drowned all your water moccasins...
You won't have nearly the problem up in Diamondhead. Build yourself a dragonfly garden; they'll eat up all the mosquitoes.

Invite Dragonflies Into Your Garden | HGTV

Old 08-31-2017, 02:25 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,182,968 times
Quote:

UPDATE:

Not telling you what to do , but you should do a lot of research on Diamondhead.

Diamondhead Hurt by Katrina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi