Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 01:29 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Lotsa people still reading.

Hang in there SP! I was kind of wondering if the rain drowned all your water moccasins...
You won't have nearly the problem up in Diamondhead. Build yourself a dragonfly garden; they'll eat up all the mosquitoes.

Invite Dragonflies Into Your Garden | HGTV
I love dragonflies. Mosquitoes have never bothered us much here, we have a big screened porch. Gnats on the other hand ...

Someone told me to check a flood map for Diamondhead, not to trust elevation ... is that true? I don't have a flood map, I'm not sure I would understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 03:25 PM

98 posts, read 137,380 times
Someone told me to check a flood map for Diamondhead, not to trust elevation ... is that true? I don't have a flood map, I'm not sure I would understand it.[/quote]

I lived in Diamondhead during Katrina. I was on the East side (Twin Lakes) and the water didn't come anywhere near my house. But my coworkers were not so lucky. One had 8 feet of water and another had 12 feet of water in their homes. Both lived in the section around Diamondhead Dr. North. The first home that my husband and I owned on Analii St went under 6 feet of water. Also, the houses right by the interstate were destroyed by the storm surge that swept across I-10. So yes, Diamondhead did flood in certain areas even in the section north of the interstate.
I love Diamondhead and would move there again if I ever moved back to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. But talk to the locals who lived there during the storm. And when you find a house, make sure that it never flooded. And I would definitely buy flood insurance no matter what your real estate agent or mortgage company tells you. It's a beautiful area with hills and lots of trees. It's higher elevation, but there are bayous on the west side of the community and when the storm surge pushed the water into those bayous, the surrounding areas flooded.
I'm not trying to scare you, but I would make sure that I did my research with regards to flooding. But that's something I would do no matter where I lived. Even parts of SC that never flood went under water a couple of years ago due to heavy rains.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:37 PM

I just found this link that you can enter your address to see your flood risk.

FloodTools.com

Old 08-31-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgoldengirl View Post
Someone told me to check a flood map for Diamondhead, not to trust elevation ... is that true? I don't have a flood map, I'm not sure I would understand it.

I lived in Diamondhead during Katrina. I was on the East side (Twin Lakes) and the water didn't come anywhere near my house. But my coworkers were not so lucky. One had 8 feet of water and another had 12 feet of water in their homes. Both lived in the section around Diamondhead Dr. North. The first home that my husband and I owned on Analii St went under 6 feet of water. Also, the houses right by the interstate were destroyed by the storm surge that swept across I-10. So yes, Diamondhead did flood in certain areas even in the section north of the interstate.
I love Diamondhead and would move there again if I ever moved back to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. But talk to the locals who lived there during the storm. And when you find a house, make sure that it never flooded. And I would definitely buy flood insurance no matter what your real estate agent or mortgage company tells you. It's a beautiful area with hills and lots of trees. It's higher elevation, but there are bayous on the west side of the community and when the storm surge pushed the water into those bayous, the surrounding areas flooded.
I'm not trying to scare you, but I would make sure that I did my research with regards to flooding. But that's something I would do no matter where I lived. Even parts of SC that never flood went under water a couple of years ago due to heavy rains.[/quote]

SO HELPFUL ... THANK YOU!!!!

Analii St is 20' elevation. I have been looking at houses on the East Side of Diamondhead, away from the bayous ... in the area of Diamondhead Dr. East / Highpoint Dr / Golf Club Dr. We will have wind and flood insurance.

You evacuated for Katrina, correct? Were you living in Diamondhead during any other storms?

If you were to move back here, would you choose Diamondhead, or way up North in Kiln? I'm not crazy about houses in Kiln for resale purposes, but it's quiet country if you go far enough, say north of Firetower Rd. Water is a huge phobia of mine, I'm just not 100% certain where it's safest. We will leave above a Cat 2.
At our house right now we need to leave at a Cat 1 because we flood in no time.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:24 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
[/b]

I'm not trying to scare you, but I would make sure that I did my research with regards to flooding. But that's something I would do no matter where I lived. Even parts of SC that never flood went under water a couple of years ago due to heavy rains.

Analii St is 20' elevation. I have been looking at houses on the East Side of Diamondhead, away from the bayous ... in the area of Diamondhead Dr. East / Highpoint Dr / Golf Club Dr. We will have wind and flood insurance.

You evacuated for Katrina, correct? Were you living in Diamondhead during any other storms?

If you were to move back here, would you choose Diamondhead, or way up North in Kiln? I'm not crazy about houses in Kiln for resale purposes, but it's quiet country if you go far enough, say north of Firetower Rd. Water is a huge phobia of mine, I'm just not 100% certain where it's safest. We will leave above a Cat 2.
At our house right now we need to leave at a Cat 1 because we flood in no time.[/quote]

I lived in Ocean Springs during Katrina. My rule was and still is, if the event is spelled beginning with a "H", I would evacuate. Cat 1 events can change to Cat 2, or 3 and you will be stuck. I also would not live South of I-10. The insurance would be very expensive.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post

At our house right now we need to leave at a Cat 1 because we flood in no time.
I DID NOT SAY THIS- Quoting is all messed up!
Southern Man:
"I lived in Ocean Springs during Katrina. My rule was and still is, if the event is spelled beginning with a "H", I would evacuate. Cat 1 events can change to Cat 2, or 3 and you will be stuck. I also would not live South of I-10. The insurance would be very expensive.[/quote]"

I SAID THIS:
We are 6 miles south of I-10

Do the posts look messed up to anyone else, or is it just my phone?

Last edited by SouthernProper; 08-31-2017 at 05:47 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 05:49 PM

I would definitely move back to Diamondhead. I loved living there. I just got tired of hurricanes. I lived in 3 different houses in all of the years that I lived there. The first one was on Analii St, the second one on Diamondhead Dr East, and the last one by Twin Lakes. I lived there for several hurricanes but Katrina was the worst and probably the only storm that did major damage to the area. I did evacuate for Katrina but it was very last minute. I hesitated leaving, but I'm glad I did as I had a lot of damage to my house from trees falling on it. I was lucky though because so many of my friends lost everything.
I don't know what to tell you about Kiln. Parts of that area flooded during the storm as well, due to the bayous overflowing from storm surge. Diamondhead has stores, shops, restaurants, etc. I'm not sure what Kiln has these days as far as these conveniences. And being Diamondhead is so close to I-10, getting to Slidell, New Orleans, Gulfport, etc. is fairly easy.
I totally understand the phobia of water and flooding, but I've seen parts of the Carolinas flood from heavy rains and/or tropical systems. But I think you'll like Diamondhead. I always felt safe there and it sort of always carried a park like atmosphere to me.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgoldengirl View Post
I would definitely move back to Diamondhead. I loved living there. I just got tired of hurricanes. I lived in 3 different houses in all of the years that I lived there. The first one was on Analii St, the second one on Diamondhead Dr East, and the last one by Twin Lakes. I lived there for several hurricanes but Katrina was the worst and probably the only storm that did major damage to the area. I did evacuate for Katrina but it was very last minute. I hesitated leaving, but I'm glad I did as I had a lot of damage to my house from trees falling on it. I was lucky though because so many of my friends lost everything.
I don't know what to tell you about Kiln. Parts of that area flooded during the storm as well, due to the bayous overflowing from storm surge. Diamondhead has stores, shops, restaurants, etc. I'm not sure what Kiln has these days as far as these conveniences. And being Diamondhead is so close to I-10, getting to Slidell, New Orleans, Gulfport, etc. is fairly easy.
I totally understand the phobia of water and flooding, but I've seen parts of the Carolinas flood from heavy rains and/or tropical systems. But I think you'll like Diamondhead. I always felt safe there and it sort of always carried a park like atmosphere to me.
It is beautiful, clean, well maintained and quiet. Good resale value, and you're right ... good central location. I'm just not a fan of Kiln. Irma is already a Cat 3 out there!

Old 08-31-2017, 06:39 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Somebody, anybody, move to Diamondhead.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Somebody, anybody, move to Diamondhead.
I'm working on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi