Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 11:10 AM

14 posts, read 28,614 times

Advertisements

Me and my Girlfriend currently live in a small town in Ohio called youngstown. And we were thinking about moving to mississippi after we both graduate college. I was thinking about either starkville or oxford which one of the two is better or any suggestions ? Secondly I am white and she is black. And I know it's not all true but I have to ask because I honestly don't know. Is mississippi as rascist as some people say. Others say it's just the southern part of state. Any input from anyone from mississippi. Would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 11:52 AM

98 posts, read 137,155 times
"Others say it's just the southern part of state"

Who have you been talking to?

Old 05-26-2017, 01:11 PM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Black; White? No. No one cares anymore.

Just make sure you have a job here, first.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:52 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,238,589 times
If you look for offense you will find it. Were those people staring at us because of our race, or because they were trying to figure out if they knew us, or trying to read my T-shirt? Was that cashier rude because of our race, or because she's just having a bad day?

Back in Jim Crow Mississippi was a horrible place to live if you weren't white. It absolutely deserved its reputation back then. You'll still find a few "accidental racists", i.e., "ignorant racists" who say they aren't racist, but hold beliefs based on race. People who have friends of other races but who believe that "most black folks are either drug dealers or on welfare", or, "most white folk are stuck up and racist". And no, it has nothing to do with the "southern part" of the state. The more racist places would be the extremely isolated tiny towns well off the main highways, and it could be a black-majority or white-majority town where you encounter this. People in Starkville and Oxford are continuously exposed to all sorts of races and nationalities.

But these days 99.9% of people just don't care. You'll find more racism in places like California and Delaware than in Mississippi (I travel a lot). There are white and black police, judges, lawyers, highway patrol, etc. Black and white people interact with each other on an equal basis every single day.

Quite a few friends and relatives of my generation (Gen-X) are mixed-race. Nothing softens the heart of a racist like a mixed-race grandbaby to play with.

But back to your first question... why are you moving to Mississippi? If for college (both towns you mentioned are college towns), what are you studying? MSU and Ole Miss are both fine schools, but each has strengths and weaknesses. If for a job, what field? Both are very small towns (22k Oxford, 25k Starkville, vs. 65k in Youngstown) when school is out and therefore aren't overflowing with available jobs. And when school is in there is an abundance of cheap student labor. As mentioned above, if finding a job is your intent make sure you have one before the move.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerW10 View Post
Me and my Girlfriend currently live in a small town in Ohio called youngstown. And we were thinking about moving to mississippi after we both graduate college. I was thinking about either starkville or oxford which one of the two is better or any suggestions ? Secondly I am white and she is black. And I know it's not all true but I have to ask because I honestly don't know. Is mississippi as rascist as some people say. Others say it's just the southern part of state. Any input from anyone from mississippi. Would be great.
My field is criminal justice hers is social work. What's job scene like down there.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgoldengirl View Post
"Others say it's just the southern part of state"

Who have you been talking to?
Obviously the wrong people. Lol

Old 05-26-2017, 02:55 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Quote:
My field is criminal justice and hers is social work. One n why the move is cost of living and get away from the snow. And thanks for the reply up north here everyone gives the South a bad rep for not being accepting of curtain things. But after living here and growing up its the North that's gotten bad I've noticed.
Isn't it ironic that prejudicial beliefs and stereotypes ("everyone gives the south a bad name") is used to condemn prejudicial beliefs and stereotypes.

Nope, welcome to the 21st century, and tell your friends to stop watching Dukes of Hazard. We have indoor plumbing, paved roads, and most of our citizens have teeth. Can you believe that???
You won't have any more problem than you have in Ohio.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Black; White? No. No one cares anymore.

Just make sure you have a job here, first.
Thanks for advise I'm in criminal justice she's in social work shouldn't be difficult to find job. Should it?

Old 05-26-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Isn't it ironic that prejudicial beliefs and stereotypes ("everyone gives the south a bad name") is used to condemn prejudicial beliefs and stereotypes.

Nope, welcome to the 21st century, and tell your friends to stop watching Dukes of Hazard. We have indoor plumbing, paved roads, and most of our citizens have teeth. Can you believe that???
You won't have any more problem than you have in Ohio.
Didn't mean to offend anybody. I put this up because I didn't know and haven't been there.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:05 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,380 times
Quote:
I grew up in Northeast La, right across the river, and so am VERY familiar with The Delta (NW Miss) and the Vicksburg-Jackson areas. These days, most college educated people don't care about whether the couple is interracial or not. Yes, you're gonna find that hard core ten percent or so who won't like it, but like everywhere else, college campuses are at least a tad bit more socially liberal than the surrounding countryside.

As for "just the southern part of the state", I can't speak for Hattiesburg in my personal experience, but I've heard it said that H'burg is fairly accepting. I say for sure the coast (especially artsy Bay St Louis, the *city* of Biloxi) are probably the most open areas of the state, along with Jackson's Fondren/Belhaven neighborhoods. I looked at the precinct-by-precinct votes for Fondren and Belhaven, and Trump simply *Lost* most of the 5 precincts in those area - which are majority white middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi