U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 11:38 PM

5 posts, read 6,858 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Gulfport, MS and I have been down here for a while. And while I do enjoy it and I like it, its for some reason... lacking. In what? I honestly dont know. It has great potential but I guess the fact that it may never fully reach it may be a problem. Or maybe its me. I was born and raised in Atlanta area. Maybe Im more urban/suburban in my outlook and vibe. Either way, Its hard for me to find it on the MS gulf coast. Nightlife and singles scene are lacking a little here too.

So, I have since decided that maybe I should consider moving to the Louisiana northshore. Slidell? Mandeville? Covington? In my mind, it is close enough to NOLA to share that urban/suburban vibe I think Im looking for here on the Coast. At the same time, Im far enough away from a lot of the crime and other issues in the city.

So my question is where is best to stay? MS Gulf Coast? or Louisiana norhshore?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 09:32 PM

2,176 posts, read 3,533,502 times
30 miles over the causeway every time you want to hang out in the city?

Stop being afraid and get a place in the city. NOLA has its issues, but buy in a good neighborhood and don't go into bad neighborhoods to buy drugs. It's not Beirut, or Fallujah. Or Aleppo.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:15 PM

287 posts, read 820,934 times
Isn't the flood insurance rates crazy all throughout that area after Katrina? Seems like even home prices are kinda crazy. At one point I even considered moving back there but wages vs. housing prices just don't seem to be on par. Is that true for that entire area?

Old 08-17-2017, 10:56 PM

405 posts, read 339,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
30 miles over the causeway every time you want to hang out in the city?

Stop being afraid and get a place in the city. NOLA has its issues, but buy in a good neighborhood and don't go into bad neighborhoods to buy drugs. It's not Beirut, or Fallujah. Or Aleppo.

No, it's not an active war zone. But it's pretty damn violent. According to the Business Insider top 50 most deadly cities list, it ranks #34, it has a higher murder rate than Fortaleza, Brazil, Juarez, Mexico, and Detroit, MI.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Status: "MTG: MAHZ-Lahmik Ter'rist Gidd'r" (set 10 days ago)

4,659 posts, read 2,580,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast_guy228 View Post
I currently live in Gulfport, MS and I have been down here for a while. And while I do enjoy it and I like it, its for some reason... lacking. In what? I honestly dont know. It has great potential but I guess the fact that it may never fully reach it may be a problem. Or maybe its me. I was born and raised in Atlanta area. Maybe Im more urban/suburban in my outlook and vibe. Either way, Its hard for me to find it on the MS gulf coast. Nightlife and singles scene are lacking a little here too.

So, I have since decided that maybe I should consider moving to the Louisiana northshore. Slidell? Mandeville? Covington? In my mind, it is close enough to NOLA to share that urban/suburban vibe I think Im looking for here on the Coast. At the same time, Im far enough away from a lot of the crime and other issues in the city.

So my question is where is best to stay? MS Gulf Coast? or Louisiana norhshore?
A few parts of the (by compass direction) west side of NOLA (what they call 'upriver') may be pretty good. I heard that Bayou St. John, fairly close to the lake is ok (compass direction north), but that was pre-Katrina, so IDK how it is now. I had lived for four years in a city with a crime rate comparable to NOLA, Memphis, and managed to live there for four years without being a crime victim. It's a matter of asking the locals where the least crime ridden area is and having the money to pay for it if you do. Plus, using common sense measures also helps, and is arguably the best way to prevent being a crime victim.

Jefferson Parish (further upriver/west of NOLA proper), has the suburbs of Metarie, Kenner, and such. Katrina only lightly flooded the area, if at all. This area's probably not too bad either, but if you want even less crime, maybe St Charles Parish, further upriver might be good, although I can't vouch for the schools in the area.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:38 AM

5 posts, read 6,858 times
Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I should've added that I actually work in Mississippi. The north shore wouldn't be that far of a drive. But from NOLA it will be especially with traffic.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:09 PM

1,256 posts, read 651,869 times
From one Coastie to another...I gotta go with Michigan

Old 08-29-2017, 02:41 PM

2,176 posts, read 3,533,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast_guy228 View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I should've added that I actually work in Mississippi. The north shore wouldn't be that far of a drive. But from NOLA it will be especially with traffic.
Sigh...

With that tiny additional piece of information, I guess you've answered your own question.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:00 PM

4 posts, read 3,830 times
Hi Coast-guy,

I live on the Northshore of Louisiana and if you're a single guy, I don't recommend a move there. Unless, of course, driving the Causeway bridge daily does not bother you. The Northshore is a nice safe place to live with lower home prices, lower taxes, better flood zones, great public schools (if you have kids) but it is mostly a bedroom community, meaning people live here and sleep here and work elsewhere (usually in NOLA). However, Slidell is a bit different and probably has more of an urban feel than Mandeville or Covington. If you plan to spend most of your time on the Southshore, I'd recommend looking in the Metairie area. I am a native of New Orleans but unfortunately I would not recommend a move there for a few reasons. Property taxes, insurance (including car insurance), flood insurance, and home prices and rent are all higher in New Orleans. It's also very high in crime. I would recommend visiting the news board on nola.com (crimes and court) to get an idea of the crimes that go on there. I previously worked in law enforcement and can tell you that even the crimes that make the news do not tell the full story. Many crimes are not reported to the media and, therefore, much of the public is unaware of the many crimes that are committed. But...if crime does not bother you, then look in the Lakeview area. Lakeview will be as close as you can get to being both urban and suburban. Just be aware of the very high (100%) potential of flooding, not to mention hurricanes. But you are probably already familiar with that since you live in Gulfport.

Good luck to you. I hope you can make a wise decision about what is best for you.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:16 PM

4 posts, read 3,830 times
Haha! I'm just now reading the replies to the OP. I now see he works in Gulfport and realizes a move to NOLA would not be a good thing traffic wise. Oh, well, hope he makes the right decision. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: