Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 03:44 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times

Advertisements

Another city could furl state flag with Confederate emblem | WJTV News 12

Meridian, specifically. Awaits the fireworks.

Quote:
MERIDIAN, Miss. (AP) – Another Mississippi city could stop flying the state flag because it features the Confederate battle emblem that critics see as racist.

Meridian Mayor Percy Bland tells The Meridian Star he thinks the flag is “divisive” in a state with a 38 percent black population.

He says the City Council could discuss removing the flag from display on municipal property when it meets Sept. 19.

All eight of Mississippi’s public universities and several cities and counties have stopped flying the flag because of concerns about the Confederate emblem.

WTOK-TV reports a small group protested the flag Monday outside the Lauderdale County Courthouse in Meridian. Organizer Dennis Allen said the flag represents “high treason” by Southern states that tried to secede before the Civil War.

Flag supporters say it represents history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 03:55 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,657 times
I don't have an attachment to the Confederate emblem on the state flag, and I support it's removal, however, the flag does not represent high treason. There were many reasons the South would have wanted to secede. There are always two sides to the story.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:46 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I don't have an attachment to the Confederate emblem on the state flag, and I support it's removal, however, the flag does not represent high treason. There were many reasons the South would have wanted to secede. There are always two sides to the story.
Yeah. I'll go along with that.

It was a different time. If towns want to take it down, I'm fine with that. Regardless of what various towns and states do, it will remain a Southern symbol and some people will fly it.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
How is it not when you attack your country and lose the war? They weren't yet a sovereign nation.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:06 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,913 times
Towns have the right to do as they wish. I know the Supreme Court could potentially be looking to a case that was filed by someone. I've never flown the confederate flag ever but I don't think all people who do are bad people.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,895,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How is it not when you attack your country and lose the war? They weren't yet a sovereign nation.
Uh, MS, along with the other Southern States, succeeded from the Union. No CSA official or Confederate Officer was ever tried for treason. The CSA, at that time, was not part of the US.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:03 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Uh, MS, along with the other Southern States, succeeded from the Union. No CSA official or Confederate Officer was ever tried for treason. The CSA, at that time, was not part of the US.
It wasn't it's own country unless another nation recognized it. As far as I know, it was never recognized by anyone other nation and so is ultimately a failed rebellion much like ISIS controlled territory that they claim is sovereign. I'm not trying to argue, I'm being sincere about it's legitimacy.
Whether or not they were tried doesn't necessarily mean anything, OJ still killed those two people and we all know it.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:51 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
I kinda have to go with the liberals on this one. All throughout the Revolutionary War, it was documented that there were no POWs, rather, Colonials who were captured where considered criminals. We just happened to win that war.

Here's a good link on it: How US Civil War rebels got away with treason - Futurity

I think it boiled down to a war-torn country being 'nice' to each other, and attempting to move on.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:43 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,895,429 times
Why would a third country have to recognize it for it to legit, at least in its own eyes? Rome didn't wait for the Greeks or Egyptians to recognize them. If the South had played it to a draw and the Union eventually stopped fighting, would the CSA not continued to be an independent government like it already was? When the NVA and Viet Cong drove the South and Allies off the peninsula, where they not a legitimate government?

Old 09-15-2017, 03:56 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times
Quote:
There could be 3 million reasons they wanted to secede, that doesn't change the fact that doing so and then going to war with THEIR country WAS an act of treason! Makes no difference what they wanted or what their argument was. There was a correct way to handle disagreements with the government then, just as there is now. They chose the other way. It will always be our history and should always be taught and never forgotten, but they did what they did and the excuses for it need to stop. People who commit treason shouldn't have monuments for them and the flag they flew should never be part of a State or Municipality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi