Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 11:06 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
the fact you can take a drug test for a job and have alcohol in your system and get a job but if you even have a trace of marijuana in your system you'll either get fired or disqualified.
Not only that, there are drugs prescribed by a Dr. that can certainly effect your performance on the job. Here, in Nevada, both legal and medical marijuana are legal, and I'm eligible, legally, to buy some pain medication from the Pot store. I tried some of those Cheba Chews for pain one night at work, and I could hardly function the rest of the night at work. Only later did someone tell me you take it before sleep.

And if you lived in a Border state, you can go to any pharmacy in Mexico and buy drugs without a prescription, like Flexeril, a muscle relaxer, and, being it's a prescription drug, you pass the drug test.

An employer complaining it's hard to find qualified candidates, because they can't pass a drug test, gives them an excuse to hire immigrants. And yet another disqualifier is a background check, a DUI, and if these immigrants came from Mexico, DUI's aren't recorded, down there you merely pay off the police. And they get the job!

And the others, off to a homeless camp!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 01:40 AM

183 posts, read 243,246 times
This is very ironic because Mississippi is the poorest state in the union... It then this makes plenty sense because that state is full of small communities. In small communities,there are often fewer homeless people because the homeless tend to go to where the people and money/resources are. In mind, I have Abbeville, LA...6K PEOPLE AND NO TRANSIENTS- because it's in the middle of the Louisiana prairies

Old 01-08-2018, 01:42 AM

183 posts, read 243,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Not only that, there are drugs prescribed by a Dr. that can certainly effect your performance on the job. Here, in Nevada, both legal and medical marijuana are legal, and I'm eligible, legally, to buy some pain medication from the Pot store. I tried some of those Cheba Chews for pain one night at work, and I could hardly function the rest of the night at work. Only later did someone tell me you take it before sleep.

And if you lived in a Border state, you can go to any pharmacy in Mexico and buy drugs without a prescription, like Flexeril, a muscle relaxer, and, being it's a prescription drug, you pass the drug test.

An employer complaining it's hard to find qualified candidates, because they can't pass a drug test, gives them an excuse to hire immigrants. And yet another disqualifier is a background check, a DUI, and if these immigrants came from Mexico, DUI's aren't recorded, down there you merely pay off the police. And they get the job!

And the others, off to a homeless camp!

Fascinating! Employers are screwing the workforce and our policies allow them to do it. I lived in LRGV as a teen and know all about medical tourism LOL #Reynosa

Old 01-10-2018, 08:32 PM

11 posts, read 11,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
But any number of these homeless people are disqualified from working, given all the obstacles placed in front of prospective employees today, particularly if you have a prison record.

I was homeless in Denver in 1972 and it was a cinch to go from homelessness to employment. Desperate, I landed a job at a nursing home. Back then, compared to today, I didn't need a CPR card, didn't have to go to a month long CNA class to be licensed, no background/drug checks, no TB test. I merely worked with another CNA for a week, and voila! I was a CNA!

That would be Mission Impossible for many homeless people today.

An employer in South Carolina was complaining he couldn't recruit "qualified" applicants for his business, as 50% couldn't pass a drug test.

And then there's the unspoken racial biases to deal with.

Everything is relative. Someone is a high rent district in the country would gasp at the low rent in Mississippi, but given their pay structure, it might be as difficult to pay the rent there as elsewhere with higher wages.
Been homeless a couple of times myself... in Mississippi... after horrible divorces where I left home, possession and CREDIT to escape with my life. But Mississippians BELIEVE in each other and extend a helping hand. I was able to bounce back and rebuild my life. good place for homeless people to look for work is Nurseries and Greenhouses, Landscapers, day Laborers for contractors just cleaning up. Now, recently retired because of complications of Celiac Disease, I have a house for sale in North Mississippi, within the Memphis Metro area, yet COUNTRY for just $65K, time to payback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi