Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 04:24 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times

Advertisements

I think most people want to fund the public school system simply because it funnels outside money into the local community and creates middle class jobs. That's the only logical reasoning behind it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Power point presentation of how Iowa finances its schools. As you may remember, Iowa's population and urban/rural population divide is very similar to Mississippi's. What's Iowa done right and what has it done wrong?

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/LSAR...esentation.pdf

Fiscal Year 2014 State cost per pupil: $6,121(P. 19)

I haven't looked up Mississippi's, but comparing Iowa's to Mississippi's can be suggestive of what money can and cannot do for schools. That particular segway, no doubt, we can debate forever. Just that I wanna throw it out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
True! And all that is great!

But California spends a little over $10,000 per student and achieves little more than Mississippi. That should tell us (you and me) something. And if that fact tells us nothing, perhaps the recognition that Washington DC pays $18,000 per student and accomplishes even less than either state will give us a clue.
Cost of living, and just about everything else, is MUCH higher in California and the DC area than in Mississippi. Given that 2/3 of the CA population lives in either the SF Bay and L.A.-San Bernadino-Orange County metro areas, plus its excruciating cost of living, it's not surprising that CA has the highest per capita pupil spending. That's why I constantly bring up Iowa, as an educationally successful state even by national standards.

Quote:
My position is, more money does not equate to a better education. The first problem in Mississippi is the education system in Mississippi which does not focus on education. And the second - and most difficult - problem is parents who see no value in education.

I stand by my position that the educational system has enough money. They do not do a good job, but it is not because they cannot afford to.
Money's not everything of course, but it's certainly not nothing. Infrastructure quality, new textbooks (and these days, internet connections and eBooks), teachers have to have at least a litttle bit above living wage (especially experienced ones). The point: you can only take your point so far before money really does start to matter.

Last edited by Phil75230; 12-13-2017 at 03:55 PM..

Old 12-13-2017, 08:52 PM

25,574 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Iowa different?

That's like saying corn doesn't grow on the moon. True, but comes no where near telling the story. There are no similarities between Iowa and Mississippi. I've traveled to all 48 lower states and lived in WA, CA, IL, GA, AL, TX and finally MS. So I urge you to resist the urge to tell me I have to come see for myself.

If Iowa has a superior system, then they should export it to the other states.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:35 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:
Iowa different?

That's like saying corn doesn't grow on the moon. True, but comes no where near telling the story. There are no similarities between Iowa and Mississippi.
Agreed, comparing to Iowa is a joke.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:18 PM

25,574 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I think most people want to fund the public school system simply because it funnels outside money into the local community and creates middle class jobs. That's the only logical reasoning behind it...................
Agreed, comparing to Iowa is a joke.
Here's a question:
If you took all the people from Mississippi and you beamed them over to Iowa so that our children would attend Iowa public schools and our parents would go (or not) to the Iowa PTA meetings, would things improve for Mississippi children?

My answer:
I honestly do not think it would make all that much difference. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that having the Iowa families in Mississippi schools would seem to improve things. Suddenly our schools would look a lot better, and Iowa schools would appear to suck.
Of course that does not mean the Mississippi Superintendent of Education would get a raise. She's already the highest paid superintendent of education in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi