Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 01:21 AM

3 posts, read 3,916 times

Advertisements

About to move to Decatur from a ski town in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, Colorado. We are moving so my husband can be closer to his kids. Originally from Miami, I have also lived in the Keys, Tallahassee, Louisville OH, Sacramento CA, and a few more tiny towns around Florida or Colorado. So..... we travelled through Decatur very briefly to visit a family member. I'm looking for some positives about the place. I observed that it is very rural, and the only businesses I saw was 1 gas station, a bunch of churches and a Piggly Wiggly 10 miles away. And an unusual amount of loose dogs. Considering I just lived in a tent for 4 months in the middle of the mountains, quiet isn't really the problem. Still a wee bit nervous. Our yearly population of 1,500 here surges to 200,000 visitors over the ski months. I'm just having a hard time finding any info at all about this very tiny town and area. Demographics, that's really all I have seen. I had to look up on my past pictures to locate the nam of the town, that's how much I know about it. Tell me why it's my dream place I want to spend the next 10 years in! Lol. I'll take #1, won't be forced to live in a tent with husband and dog because of a housing crisis.... ok go!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 09:29 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,989,326 times
Just a rural MS town. I think the only thing really going on there is East Central Community College.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:40 AM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscolorado View Post
About to move to Decatur from a ski town in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, Colorado. We are moving so my husband can be closer to his kids. Originally from Miami, I have also lived in the Keys, Tallahassee, Louisville OH, Sacramento CA, and a few more tiny towns around Florida or Colorado. So..... we travelled through Decatur very briefly to visit a family member. I'm looking for some positives about the place. I observed that it is very rural, and the only businesses I saw was 1 gas station, a bunch of churches and a Piggly Wiggly 10 miles away. And an unusual amount of loose dogs. Considering I just lived in a tent for 4 months in the middle of the mountains, quiet isn't really the problem. Still a wee bit nervous. Our yearly population of 1,500 here surges to 200,000 visitors over the ski months. I'm just having a hard time finding any info at all about this very tiny town and area. Demographics, that's really all I have seen. I had to look up on my past pictures to locate the nam of the town, that's how much I know about it. Tell me why it's my dream place I want to spend the next 10 years in! Lol. I'll take #1, won't be forced to live in a tent with husband and dog because of a housing crisis.... ok go!!!
I know the area, but not the town.

You have been in enough places and seen enough people so that you might enjoy it. You've been where it's hot, so that won't surprise you. People in that area are not particularly prejudiced, so if you don't insist that everyone look like you, you will make friends.

Loose dogs are a fact of life in those towns.

So don't be skeert. Jump right in. Learn to enjoy football. You'll be fine.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:04 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,896,342 times
Plenty of places to live that rural lifestyle. Tent living in MS in the summer ain't too nice though, the heat, humidity, bugs and snakes (people do it, but hopefully I won't have too)!

Look at the demographics of Newton to get a feel of what Decatur will be like. Public schools are questionable; for MS, they are not terrible but compared to CO, I'm guessing they would be a step-down?

Old 01-31-2018, 09:05 AM

"So don't be skeert. Jump right in. Learn to enjoy football. You'll be fine".... Possibly my favorite quote ever! lol.
Well on the plus side maybe I can get a job at the College. Otherwise I was told I have to commute like 60 miles a day. And no..... No tent living in Mississippi... No.... I have a picture of my back with 30+ bites on it in one day from tent living in Colorado... I know about mosquitoes down south. Way worse, Would never happen. Hubby would be going alone.
Well thanks for the response guys! Still a little bit of a mystery to everyone, no one seems to know much at all. People seemed nice in the Piggly Wiggly I went to. lol

Old 02-22-2018, 04:27 PM

Still looking for feedback if anyone has any. Getting cold feet.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:53 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,585,064 times
There's not much to say about Decatur, really. It's a town of about 1800 about 30 minutes from Meridian. It's also the birthplace of Medgar Evers, has a community college, and just a few restaurants. That's about all I know about it. Seems pretty safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi