U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 6,906 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Starkville for work. We have lived in New Orleans for the last few years, and I... did not like it. What are some of the good things you like about Starkville? We have a 2yr old as well. What are the family activities like? Are there any good library programs? Mommy and me activities?

I am looking forward to the change of pace. We want to buy a house with a few acres. Hopefully with some trees, and maybe a pond. Where would be the best side of town to start looking? What are the neighborhoods like?

I know Starkville is a small town, and I'm fine with that. I just want to be 10-15mins from the nearest grocery store (it doesn't have to be Starkville based).
We also don't need to be right next to MSU. We were hoping for a commute of 30mins or less.

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 12:02 AM

3,328 posts, read 4,593,542 times
Starkville is as all-American a town, as anyone could ever hope for. And yes, there are big box grocery stores, including at least one "upscale" one. And parents with young children will find a full array of resources.

Mississippi's big university for snobs/socialites/substance-abusers, is one called "Ole Miss" (it has the Law School, and the School of Medicine - basically training the predators who view the rest of humanity as PREY). The big school for scientists/architects/big farmers/nice people, is Mississippi State.

Ole Miss defines Oxford, Mississippi. Mississippi State defines Starkville. Both are university towns.

Mississippi State folk are about like the Aggies of Texas. Ole Miss' culture is like a low-rent parody of Harvard's.

Starkville is apple-pie-wholesome - "normal as blueberry pie"
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6I_bou5rw ). Oxford, on the other hand, is like the selection of tweedy clothing you'll find at Sears (Sears.com). Ole Miss people see themselves as being straight out of 'Philadelphia Story' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku6ghhfbfMo) but the truth is closer to 'Tobacco Road' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMj1_Vx-Rcw).

Starkville's Cotton District
is considered by many, to be the birthplace of 'New Urbanism' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cotton_District), providing direct inspiration for developers of places like Seaside, Florida (https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/201.../time-urbanism). ...which leads me to something very important about Starkville. While Ole Miss types see Starkville and 'State' as being "Redneck & Hick", nobody else does. My impression is that Starkville/Mississippi State people are bigger, blonder, kinder, and more honest than Ole Miss/Oxford people. And when they die, they tend to leave larger estates (This is an observation I've gleaned from friends who have relatives who went to both schools.).

To give you a tiny glimpse of the SCALE of the school, here's an old video of a performance by freshman pledges for Phi Mu (a sorority at least three places down, in the Sorority Pecking Order, in Mississippi). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiUZrAlvr2M Notice the luxurious construction and sophisticated design of the buildings behind the girls. This is vastly superior to corresponding buildings at the podunk little university where I got my first degree, and vastly superior to that of MOST public universities, ANYWHERE.

Mississippi State's scientific research, and its College of Business, each have done much, in terms of crop development and business development. I know people who grow (and praise) plant cultivars developed at 'State', and people whose successful businesses were assessed and improved by State's College of Business.

What I'm saying is that you are NOT headed toward "The Middle of Nowhere". Instead, you're headed toward a vibrant (but small) town, packed with people of substance. I think you'll find everything you need.

I'm absolutely certain that you'll find a house you like, at the price-point you want, within ten or fifteen minutes from work - maybe even closer. And progressive daycare/elementary school choices will be ABUNDANT. Here's the map, just zoom in, and start 'driving around'... https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-88.7943766

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-30-2018 at 01:29 AM..

Old 01-30-2018, 11:24 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,001,664 times
Starkville is awesome, wish I could live there. Real estate is kinda high right now though.

You should be able to find many options for land. If you want to be in an even smaller town, look into Eupora, Mathiston or Maben. East Webster is a pretty good small school and within commute distance.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:08 PM

3,733 posts, read 1,679,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Starkville is as all-American a town, as anyone could ever hope for. And yes, there are big box grocery stores, including at least one "upscale" one. And parents with young children will find a full array of resources.

Mississippi's big university for snobs/socialites/substance-abusers, is one called "Ole Miss" (it has the Law School, and the School of Medicine - basically training the predators who view the rest of humanity as PREY). The big school for scientists/architects/big farmers/nice people, is Mississippi State.

Ole Miss defines Oxford, Mississippi. Mississippi State defines Starkville. Both are university towns.

Mississippi State folk are about like the Aggies of Texas. Ole Miss' culture is like a low-rent parody of Harvard's.

Starkville is apple-pie-wholesome - "normal as blueberry pie"
(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6I_bou5rw ). Oxford, on the other hand, is like the selection of tweedy clothing you'll find at Sears (Sears.com). Ole Miss people see themselves as being straight out of 'Philadelphia Story' (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku6ghhfbfMo) but the truth is closer to 'Tobacco Road' (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMj1_Vx-Rcw).

Starkville's Cotton District
is considered by many, to be the birthplace of 'New Urbanism' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cotton_District), providing direct inspiration for developers of places like Seaside, Florida (https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/201.../time-urbanism). ...which leads me to something very important about Starkville. While Ole Miss types see Starkville and 'State' as being "Redneck & Hick", nobody else does. My impression is that Starkville/Mississippi State people are bigger, blonder, kinder, and more honest than Ole Miss/Oxford people. And when they die, they tend to leave larger estates (This is an observation I've gleaned from friends who have relatives who went to both schools.).

To give you a tiny glimpse of the SCALE of the school, here's an old video of a performance by freshman pledges for Phi Mu (a sorority at least three places down, in the Sorority Pecking Order, in Mississippi).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiUZrAlvr2M Notice the luxurious construction and sophisticated design of the buildings behind the girls. This is vastly superior to corresponding buildings at the podunk little university where I got my first degree, and vastly superior to that of MOST public universities, ANYWHERE.

Mississippi State's scientific research, and its College of Business, each have done much, in terms of crop development and business development. I know people who grow (and praise) plant cultivars developed at 'State', and people whose successful businesses were assessed and improved by State's College of Business.

What I'm saying is that you are NOT headed toward "The Middle of Nowhere". Instead, you're headed toward a vibrant (but small) town, packed with people of substance. I think you'll find everything you need.

I'm absolutely certain that you'll find a house you like, at the price-point you want, within ten or fifteen minutes from work - maybe even closer. And progressive daycare/elementary school choices will be ABUNDANT. Here's the map, just zoom in, and start 'driving around'... https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-88.7943766
Did the OP ask for a comparison of MSU to Ole Miss?

Old 01-30-2018, 01:11 PM

776 posts, read 794,710 times
For some reason Gloria seems to think people won't to read her witty responses. Most people just ignore them.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:17 PM

4,740 posts, read 9,340,082 times
And then there are those, like me, who enjoy reading Gloria's comments. C'est frontage...

I'll add that here in Huntsville, AL - the "Rocket City", we employ many MSU graduates because of the defense / aerospace industry. All of them that I've met have been nice people.

Also, my niece is starting at MSU this fall, so we're excited about that.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:42 PM

985 posts, read 1,029,063 times
Starkville has come a long way in the last 10-15 years, for those who haven't been since the early 2000s, you will be surprised. Oxford has the name recognition, but don't sleep on Starkville, it has greatly improved.

Check out Browning Creek, it's a 7-8 mile drive to town, but a nice neighboorhood. The "retreats" there are reasonably priced.

Are you set on public schools or open to private? MSU has entered into a venture with the local schools, it will be interesting to see what comes. If not for the competing private school, the public schools would likely be among the top in the state.

If looking for acreage and want public schools, you may want to check out East Webster (as stated above).

Old 01-30-2018, 07:12 PM

3,328 posts, read 4,593,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
For some reason Gloria seems to think people won't to read her witty responses. Most people just ignore them.
The word is 'want'.

But thanks for that, because now we know how you sound.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-30-2018 at 07:22 PM..

Old 01-30-2018, 07:33 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,001,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
I'll add that here in Huntsville, AL - the "Rocket City", we employ many MSU graduates because of the defense / aerospace industry. All of them that I've met have been nice people.

Also, my niece is starting at MSU this fall, so we're excited about that.
Glad to see people sending their kids back to MSU, especially the ones from Huntsville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Are you set on public schools or open to private? MSU has entered into a venture with the local schools, it will be interesting to see what comes. If not for the competing private school, the public schools would likely be among the top in the state.
Ain't this the truth. I understand why SA was formed in the beginning, but at some point, I think they should consider shuttering it. Won't happen anytime soon though. Either way, public school is receiving big investment and is getting better every day.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:38 PM

5 posts, read 6,906 times
You know, I was kind of nervous that I was moving to the "middle of nowhere." I grew up in a very large city in the midwest, my husband grew up in a town a little bit larger than Starkville when school is in session. But that was also in the midwest. To be honest, I don't really know much about Mississippi outside of the Jackson area.

So all that being said, I am not set on anything yet. Since my little one is still young, I was going to look around and figure out the school situation once we got there.
Honestly, any information about anything regarding the city is helpful to me.
East Webster and Browning creek... I'll definitely check that out.

We will be heading up to Starkville in the next few weeks, so I'm trying to get a kind of itinerary set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi