U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 27,122 times

Advertisements

Hi. We will be relocating to the Tupelo area, and would appreciate some info on a few things. Are screened in porches recommended? We would love to find some property either on a lake, or with some land. Or perhaps a historical home in a small town. Which cities do you recommend? We have looked at places near Lake Piomingo (?) and around the Pontotoc area online. Hopefully, we will be able to come and look in person in the near future. Any pros or cons would be appreciated.
Thanks, graywolfpath
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 11:10 AM

314 posts, read 1,062,843 times
Screens are optional- depends on where you're moving from. We came from the Delta where you can't go out after dark from June to September.

As for the rest of your post, how close to Tupelo do you need to be? Lee County schools are great, but one area that is often overlooked is around Mantachie. It's in Itawamba Co, but still has a great small town feel. Local schools are pretty good, and they aren't experiencing the anticipatory Toyota angst as much as Tupelo-Pontotoc-New Albany.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:38 PM

52 posts, read 205,591 times
Sometimes a stray mosquito comes through but both of my porches are wide open. One of the best things about living here, Saltillo, is being able to sit outside at 6 in the morning or 6 in the evening and not fight mosquitoes. Piomingo is quite a mixture of homes. Large homes to small fish shacks. On the 4th of July the put on a pretty impressive fire-works display. Since we live 4 miles from there we take our kids and they love it. Saltillo, Mooreville, Mantachie are all nice places. But also beware that if you're from a small town be ready for the traffic. It's not Houston by any stretch but on the weekends it gets crowded and fast. Many chain restaurants are in Tupelo but again be ready for long waits Wednesday-Saturday. Sundays aren't bad because here they DON'T SELL BEER ON SUNDAY.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:20 AM

Default Thanks for the reply.

Dear oldenfatt:
Thanks for the reply and information. We would really like to be no further than 20 minutes from North of Tupelo. My husband will be working in the Blue Springs area and I will be looking for employment in the area as well. We don't have school age children anymore but I appreciate the info. Ideally, we want to find a place on a lake. There seems to be alot of water there which is great, but I don't know how near or far these places are to where we would like to live. It is so nice to be able to ask and recieve help from people who live in Mississippi. We are looking forward to the move and getting to know about the area. Thank you so much again, and I'll ask more questions soon if that's okay with you. Sincerely, graywolfpath.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 AM

Dear sohappyIleft and oldenfatt:
Okay, so I am trying to get this reply thing down. Sorry if I messed it up the first time. My husband and I really would like to find a home on the water. But as I stated, we are not sure on how far areas are away from where we want to be. We will be relocating to the Blue Springs area, and I have seen on some of the older post's that it seems like most of the towns are 20 mins. or so from Tupelo. We are also maybe interested in finding a "fixure upper" cabin on a lake as we enjoy the water and love to find a place that has it's own character that we can expand on.
I also read about fire ants on a post. Is that a huge problem?? I grew up in the country and I am used to "snakes", "critters", and "bugs". I love being able to go outside and actually SEE stars instead of city lights and I am looking forward to being able to do that again, since we now live in the city.
I thank you both again for info and friendly posts. I will ask more questions in the future if that's okay with ya'll.
graywolfpath

Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 AM

314 posts, read 1,062,843 times
Check the Lake Piomingo area.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:49 AM

52 posts, read 205,591 times
As oldenfatt said the Piomingo Lake area may be what you're looking for. We bought 3 acres in the country and our property adjoins our neighbors lake/pond. The lake/pond is about 3 acres in size...not very big compared to some but we do have our quintet of ducks and there are fish in it large enough to catch. All around this area small lakes and ponds like that abound. If there were really any amount of mosquitoes in this area these good people would have drained and filled them long ago.

Fireants aren't a problem like in counties further south but they are in the area. Wallyworld sells a great product called Orthene that will take care of those pesky problems. (not advertising but the stuff works great).

It is great to be able to sit outside and not have to fight insects year round. I was going to put a roof on my front deck but have since changed my mind since sitting outside at night and looking up at the stars. Best of luck and ask any questions I'll try to answer!!!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 AM

Dear SO Happy I Left:
We came to Mississippi and looked around. We love the area. Especially Lake Piomingo. Do you know of the best way to find a house for sale there?? We did look at one, but want to see more. Any suggestions would be so very helpful. Do people ever give info to the homeowners association about selling their home, etc.?
Thanks so much for your time.
graywolfpath

Old 11-18-2008, 03:51 PM

323 posts, read 1,119,041 times
Are you living there now?Is your husband working? I myself is waiting for a call for employment in Tupelo before I relocate . Good Luck

Old 11-18-2008, 04:00 PM

no we are not living there yet. We will be moving to the area in a couple of months. It's hard trying to find a home we want from this far away, but we will keep trying.
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi