U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 02:28 AM

774 posts, read 1,782,852 times

Advertisements

If I may, I have a couple of questions ...

1. What is Northeastern Mississippi like? How would you compare it with Jackson?

2. How would you compare some of the smaller towns and rural areas of Northeastern Mississippi with areas just south of Jackson like Hazulhurst?

3. Is the culture of Northeastern Mississippi the same as Northwestern Mississippi? (I think the western half is what is considered classically as, The Delta. True or false?)

4. What are some of the towns and rural areas in Northern Mississippi where race is less of an issue and people can life side by side without a great deal of race drama?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,092 times
well, I can say you won't find vegans there, for sure. But, are there many in Jackson? I do know there is a whole foods market in Jackson, so I assume there's more selection.
When I was in Senatobia area (which is really NW), but in the country, no one we met did anything but eat, watch tv, and shoot guns at animals or cans. It was really the most boring place I ever had to be for a short while. THere's no canoeing, no mtn. biking, no mountain hiking, no scuba diving....although I suspect you can water ski at Sardis or Arkabutla.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:22 AM

314 posts, read 1,062,924 times
The Delta is the flat traditionally agricultural region of NW Mississippi. Except for the areas along navigable rivers, it really wasn't cleared and settled until the turn of the 20th century. NE Mississippi has fewer large farms and more manufacturing, as well as being home to the major universities in the state.

There are some cultural differences, usually the topic o conversation for those from the delta who have moved to the eastern areas. I would say the NE area is socially more conservative than the delta, but more liberal politically. There is a much lower, though growing, percentage black population in NE MS than in the Delta. I will say that I think there is actually more interaction between the races in NE MS, since in the Delta communities you almost have parallel black and white societies existing alongside each other, with government services and Wal-Mart being the only areas of overlap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi