U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 01:43 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,273,051 times

Advertisements

ClaraC, I want to show you something. It's a map of racial segregation throughout the United States created by University of Virgina's Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service, and it is the most comprehensive map of race in America ever created.

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

If you will notice, the Northeast is mostly white people which are denoted by blue dots, and the black people denoted by green are segregated. For a great example of segregation by race zoom in on NYC. Now notice the large areas of spread out green in the south that denotes black people. The fact is whites and blacks live in much closer proximity in the south, and why wouldn't we? There is a much larger percentage of black people here. Maybe you couldn't see it because out of sight out of mind. I'm sure you get along just fine with the few black people you run across where you live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 04:53 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,273,051 times
I have another point to make as well. Segregation isn't necessarily a bad thing. It becomes bad when the government mandates it, but sometimes people are more comfortable living with their own color. It's human nature for the majority of people.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:17 AM

18,675 posts, read 10,983,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know if you live there, but yes, I've spent time in Mississippi. Notably, during protests to keep the current flag that bears the confederate symbol a part of the state flag.

And before you jump up and say that's about history, no it isn't. It's about racism. It's an open, naked threat. And that's what it's meant to be.

All you have to do is look at the people who are lining their pickup trucks down the Biloxi beach shore flying the confederate flag with a noose hanging out of the tailgate to know what that means.

And yes, I did see this, within the last 10 years.

But it does go both ways. There is obvious hostility coming from Black people toward Whites also.

In a thread where someone asks if Mississippi is a good place for racial integration, the answer is decidedly no. Pick somewhere else if that's a main focus on where you want to live.
OK, then.
She has "spent time" here. Knows all about the flag. Has seen "pickups and nooses".

That's it then. Discussion over.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:33 PM

985 posts, read 1,027,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
OK, then.
She has "spent time" here. Knows all about the flag. Has seen "pickups and nooses".

That's it then. Discussion over.
I got a good chuckle over this. A white man with a "noose" hanging out of his truck with likely be seriously injured or killed in short order. MS is 40% black, the highest of all states, anyone overtly threatening the black populace would be dealt with in short order.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
DeSoto county is DECLINING. It was a nice place as recent as 10 years ago, but that's changed. Unfortunately, houses and rent were made too cheap and many undesirables from Memphis have moved in. The schools are ghetto and fast food places are filled with rude, disrespectful employees. At this point, it's still not exactly dangerous, but I'm sure that will be a different story in another 10 years or so.
Please don’t let this poster’s fear mongering deter you from considering DeSoto county. Desoto county is still a very booming and desirable area within the Memphis metro area, and especially the state. Year after year, we rank high in education, safety, health, and overall quality of life. Contrary to what this poster was saying, Desoto County Schools is consistently ranked the best school system in the state. Recently, two of our local high schools, Lewisburg and Hernando High, were ranked the best for academic performance; and I think the other area schools came in the top 20. There is very little crime here. I can literally leave my house without locking the doors and not worry about it being broken into. As far as shopping,eating and entertainment, Desoto county is your typical suburb. You have your chain resteraunts ( chili’s, tgis’, etc..), targets (two in the area), Walmart’s, Lowe’s, and other various big box stores. Your shopping malls ( tanger outlets and Southaven towne center), department stores, skating rinks, movie theatres. If you’re more into kitschy, locally owned stores, Hernando will fill that need ( I highly recommend Area 51 ice cream for the best locally sourced ice cream in the county). We have farmers’ markets ( with Hernando’s being nationally recognized) for organic produce. Of course Memphis and it’s other surrounding suburbs are a hop and skip away for more shopping and entertainment options.

As far as race relations goes, it’s not perfect, but it could be worse. I can say that , as an African American, I feel very privileged to have grown up in a place like Desoto County. Desoto county, in my opinion, is the most racially harmonious and integregated areas in the state, by far. There really isn’t a such thing as a “Black side of town” or “white side of town”. For the most part, we cohibit the same spaces and neighborhoods peacefully. Now, I’m not saying that I’ve never experienced any racial incidents, because I can recall quite a few, but these were very minor issues compared to what you would experience in the rest of the state. Overall, Desoto county is NOT declining and would be perfect if you’re into suburban living.

Last edited by Muri.kuri; 04-03-2018 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: To fix grammatical errors

Old 10-29-2018, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 671 times
As a Mississipian I welcome law abiding, conservative minded, legal US citizens or legal resident's moving to this great state. We like our guns and we carry them , just ask our Govenor. He open carries while riding his Harley. Our flag is OURS to change or keep. We will change it when WE decide to, if at all. The more the rest of YOU tell us to change it or else, the longer we will keep it JUST to **** you off. We are open minded and generally accepting. The Vietmenes, Indians, Central Americans are the wealthy business owners. If you want to open "Bobs Big Gay Bar" or "Alice's Rinbow Bar" , no issue. Just do your home work first. The Coast , Natchez, and Jackson could accept it; other parts of MS. , well it's your own damn fault. Good God it's MS. read your frickin history books. We are not all bad, and are generally well mannered. When we are literate, and talented we outshine the best the world has to offer. When iliterate and stubborn, we outshine any of you damn Yankees, liberals, leftists or Hollywood types. By gum it's an outright ARTFORM how "IGNORANT" we can get. Seriously speaking, you will be amazed at what size home you can buy in MS. and your only at the most 2 hours away from civilization, Memphis, New Orleans, Florida. Heck I could comfortably include the MS Coast and Mobile to that list. Any where Mardi Gras is celebrated is pretty much an open inclusive city. The more flamboyant you are the more you are accepted " JUST keep your politics to yourself". Taking yourself serious during Mardi Grais is a serious offense and you will be shunned by the cross dressing party revelour. Oh yea, in the Summer it's HOT. Africa HOT, Sauna HOT. Just like the movie "Biloxi Blues" described it. Just thinking out load and typing. If you actually got this far reading this "tome" of a painful rant, first thank you, second please accept my humble appologies. Very Respectfully have fun in life.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:32 PM

9,619 posts, read 5,963,387 times
And before you jump up and say that's about history, no it isn't. It's about racism. It's an open, naked threat. And that's what it's meant to be.

All you have to do is look at the people who are lining their pickup trucks down the Biloxi beach shore flying the confederate flag with a noose hanging out of the tailgate to know what that means.

And yes, I did see this, within the last 10 years.

But it does go both ways. There is obvious hostility coming from Black people toward Whites also.

i live and work in biloxi, its not this way, you very rarely see a flag, and then its usually the state flag on the post office.

the coast is very calm since the hurricane. most of what the poster said is untrue today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi