U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:43 PM

26 posts, read 70,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
I have been reading quite a bit about obesity in the united states and was shocked and surprised to read that Mississippi is reportedly the fattest state in the country. (In all honesty, i thought the fattest state in the nation was Alaska.) Can anyone explain how the fattest state in the nation could possibly be located in the deep south and not the far north?
I think I know why Mississippians are larger-because I was born there. They have the best cooks in the world there-and believe me you I know about cooking! I guess the climate has nothing to do with it, because if I lived up North-say Alaska-I think I would be thinner due to eating more salmon and less fast food. I do go occasionally on Alaskan cruises, and I do know that they do eat much differently than we do. Now that I've been living in Texas 35 years now, I have developed a taste for Tex-Mex and believe me-I would have thought we were the fattest state!
Rate this post positively

Old 07-17-2007, 08:51 AM

634 posts, read 2,769,223 times
I would've guessed Texas, Georgia, or Louisiana as the fattest states.

But Mississippi?? Mississippi doens't seem as fat as Louisiana and Alabama..

Old 07-17-2007, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 11,675 times
Default Fat MS?

Warm weather is the death sentence to exercise outdoors in the summer for many people here. I should rephrase that...Blistering hot weather...

Add in mucho fried food and many people's penchant for buffets (there must be about 25 around where I live...)...Presto! Large population.

As for Texas, I believe Houston is the fattest CITY in the US...but not Texas as a whole

Old 08-01-2007, 09:43 PM

326 posts, read 400,738 times
perhaps Mississippi and most other states should consider building/paving some intercity/intercounty bicycle trails. perhaps that would reduce obesity in the deep south.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:04 PM

376 posts, read 1,664,521 times
Quote:
perhaps Mississippi and most other states should consider building/paving some intercity/intercounty bicycle trails. perhaps that would reduce obesity in the deep south.
Lots of cities in Mississippi are doing this. Oxford is in the process of building a bike trail system to cover the entire town. In fact, it will eventually stretch across the county. The major trails in the state include the Natchez Trace and the Mississippi River Trail.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:23 AM

45 posts, read 252,582 times
Quote:
I also figured Alaska as being the fattest state because it is so cold that they get snow all 12 months a year. And when it is freezing cold like that all year round, I would imagine people would spend about 90 percent of the time huddled inside by the fireplace or near the furnace, watching TV, and in general, being sedentary. I mean, i have heard of dogsleds and dogsled events, but then again, from my point of view, very few people would dare to step outside in -10s or colder temps.
Really, though, only a few parts of Alaska are what you describe here. Places like Nome and Barrow, which sit on the edge of the Arctic ocean, do have miserable weather. But most of Southeast Alaska is like the Pacific Northwest-rainy, but not all that cold. Anchorage has nice weather May through October with temps in the 60's and 70's. Fairbanks sees plenty of 80's and even 90's in the summer. Add in all the amazing places to fish, hike, canoe, bike, etc., and you've got yourself a pretty health state.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:10 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,904,129 times
You've got
-Unhealthy food, high in fat, sodium and cholesterol
-Great tasting food, so people eat more
-humid weather and air conditioning, so many people sit inside more often

Old 08-06-2007, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 14,068 times
Having lived in MS my whole life, it doesn't suprise me at all that it's the "fattest" state. Food is such a big part of our culture in the south. We'll find just about any excuse to eat. It's especially prevalent in the church -- Methodists and Baptists have a reputation for loving food. That might be national, though.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:05 AM

58,014 posts, read 50,542,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
I think all the "fattest" states are in the deep south. To sum it up in 4 words....fried food & zero exercise.
Not just fried food and no exercise, but lots of beer.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:10 AM

58,014 posts, read 50,542,815 times
I'm not surprised that Mississippi is the fattest state, but then again, it doesn't surprise me that Louisiana, Georgia, and Alabama are also in that boat. Lots of greasy Southern food, too many people aren't active enough because most places in the South from what I see are engineered to exclude cycling and being active(few bicycle trails, extreme sprawl(particularly Atlanta),and in the South, alcohol is consumed in large amounts, particularly at football games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi