U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,410,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
"And who says Mississippians don't exercise?"

The news story. I have no idea how they compiled their data.
"The news story." Well, who to believe, huh? And do you really believe everything you read? What do YOU eat? Right at the moment, all this talking about food, I'm snacking on some heavy brisket, mm, mm, good! Is it good for me? Probably not, but I'm hongry, thus...

Last edited by Delta Planter; 03-26-2008 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: forgot sumthin
Rate this post positively

Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
just got back from oxford, MS.
in mississippi the people act real real nice but they look ugly.
in california its exactly the opposite.
Touche'. Goes both way, ya know? When you going back to Oxfart?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,804,639 times
Is the obesity and limited exercise caused by lack of education? Or apathy? If apathy, then what's driving it?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Is the obesity and limited exercise caused by lack of education? Or apathy? If apathy, then what's driving it?
Wow, that's a stretch, a real stretch, "lack of education". Think you could clarify your supposition just a bit, give this old Mississippi boy some "education"? I've only got a BS in BusAdmin and 40 years of life following college, and a round or two in Court Reporting schools in Colorado and at the University of Mississippi. Yes, please, educate me! Now I know why I don't like to exercise! I'm not ejumacatid enuff! hahahaha

And now I'm going to turn in for the evening. It's been a long day for me, herding cats and reading silly questions, trying to give some folks valuable information and questioning others. Yawn!

Last edited by Delta Planter; 03-26-2008 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: follow-up

Old 03-26-2008, 09:17 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,804,639 times
I am not questioning your personal level of education nor your work experience

I am trying to determine what is driving the obesity epidemic in MS.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:17 AM

5,027 posts, read 14,132,044 times
Sorry, won't agree with the poster that said fried foods taste good. They taste like crap and I don't see why people eat such flavorless food. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want, but make good choices. MS and LA were two of the fattest states I've ever been to. I couldn't believe the number of overweight people in those two states. I believe lack of knowledge, not necessarily education, has a lot to do with it. Though I don't know how stuffing your face all day and not exercising can make one believe they are making the right choices. I have to say, of all the states I've been to (over 40), MS and LA were the two were we couldn't find a single Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. The people there didn't even know what that was. That says a lot right there. You don't have to "subsits on tofu and sprouts" to be fit and healthy. That's the idea most have of good, healthy food and are so wrong. Learn to cook and you will discover a whole new world of healthy, great eating. Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-27-2008 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: let's don't lambast the whole state, please

Old 03-27-2008, 08:30 AM

5,981 posts, read 17,002,589 times
MODERATOR: I've merged a thread that started last July on this same topic...it died in Feb. but has apparently been resurrected.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I am not questioning your personal level of education nor your work experience

I am trying to determine what is driving the obesity epidemic in MS.
Thank you, kind soul!

There are just so, so many factors to weigh in on the obesity calamity, and it's not just in MS, either. There are obese people everywhere, as I wrote before, it's just that the focus is always on the South, and on MS in particular. If I could make a suggestion to you? Go down to MS yourself, down in the Delta between Memphis and Vicksburg, take a look-see at the ways of living there, at the poverty that is abundant, at the lifestyles, make your own analysis, come up with your own solutions. I was fortunate (?) that the draft in 1969 forced me into the military world, and I "got out". But I wasn't in the poverty class, either, rather middle-class family. And through hook or crook, I was able to successfully retire from the military, so I'm pretty removed from the poverty and obesity way of life. I would love to return to my home of homes; however, there is nothing there for me anymore.

But I digress. Yes, education laxity does have a lot to do with the ways of life in that area, but so does the lack of opportunity to "get ahead". It's funny, strange, one doesn't hear so much from the folks who are in that position as the politicians, statisticians, and other "outsiders" who question everything and offer up nothing.

Don't like the food down there? Well, don't go down there, don't eat the food, leave it to the folks who do live the life.

Nuff said.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:58 PM

8,379 posts, read 19,325,584 times
Just try to keep this potentially provocative thread civil, guys.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-27-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Just try to keep this potentially provocative thread civil, guys.
Did I say something offensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi