Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:39 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,221,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
In regards to Kentucky it's ambiguous. Some do considered it deep south or better yet mid south. There's no concrete agreement just generalized opinion.
Any state that borders Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio could never be considered the Deep South. Kentucky is generally described as the Upland or Upper South just like Tennessee (although West Tennessee could be considered the Deep South, it's more like a bridge between the upper and lower/deep south, which is why it makes sense that region around Memphis is known as the "Mid-South"), North Carolina, or Virginia (which is right next to Kentucky). I've never heard of Kentucky being described as a Deep South state. It differs from the Deep South states like Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana or even Georgia demographically, economically, and patterns of historic settlement. There wasn't the extensive growth of Cotton in Kentucky like there was in the Delta of Mississippi for one thing. Even the plantations in Kentucky didn't really have the large amount of slaves that states further south did and Kentucky exported more slaves than any other state. Kentucky also never seceded to join the confederacy neither. Hell, people to this day debate if Louisville and Northern Kentucky by Cincinnati are even southern cities. You'd almost never hear anything like that about most cities further down south.

So tell me again, how in the world could Kentucky be considered a part of the Deep South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 12:56 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,106,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Any state that borders Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio could never be considered the Deep South. Kentucky is generally described as the Upland or Upper South just like Tennessee (although West Tennessee could be considered the Deep South, it's more like a bridge between the upper and lower/deep south, which is why it makes sense that region around Memphis is known as the "Mid-South"), North Carolina, or Virginia (which is right next to Kentucky). I've never heard of Kentucky being described as a Deep South state. It differs from the Deep South states like Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana or even Georgia demographically, economically, and patterns of historic settlement. There wasn't the extensive growth of Cotton in Kentucky like there was in the Delta of Mississippi for one thing. Even the plantations in Kentucky didn't really have the large amount of slaves that states further south did and Kentucky exported more slaves than any other state. Kentucky also never seceded to join the confederacy neither. Hell, people to this day debate if Louisville and Northern Kentucky by Cincinnati are even southern cities. You'd almost never hear anything like that about most cities further down south.

So tell me again, how in the world could Kentucky be considered a part of the Deep South?
Demographically ? It's similar to the rest of those states you mentioned.
End of the day, it's a southern state. Deep south is opinionated.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:37 PM

19 posts, read 15,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
LOL!...
Well, you are just wrong, wrong, and wrong again. But that's what happens when you 'suppose'.
If you really wanted to move back you would.
I have other personal considerations besides work that have me staying where I live for a little while longer. If you wanted to truly leave the state you would finally too. I did and discovered that the grass isn't always greener and there were things that were always better where I was in the first place.

Quality of life and a lifestyle that, at least, used to be found in the Deep South are two of the most important things. I've lived better in Ms. in that context than I have anywhere else. I also miss like crazy small towns.

You sound like I did sometimes when I was a teenager.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:37 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,991,371 times
Quote:
There are many reasons to dislike a state from your personal experience. I just don't see the point in continuing to berate it. You don't like then go on elsewhere.
Sharif662, you and I obviously do not agree on all things, but we are definitely alike in our optimism for Mississippi.

THAT is the sort of thing that will perhaps be a vehicle for whites and blacks to come together, one day.

That, or Mississippi State winning a national championship in football.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Demographically ? It's similar to the rest of those states you mentioned.
End of the day, it's a southern state. Deep south is opinionated.
Kentucky has a far smaller African American population than the Deep South States. It’s only 8.4% Black. Compare that to the numbers in MS, AL, LA, and GA. You might think it’s an opinion all you want to, but any state bordering a midwestern state could never be classified as a Deep South state. Kentucky is generally seen as upper south state, but wallow in your lack of knowledge about this, fine by me.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:08 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Refugee View Post
I have other personal considerations besides work that have me staying where I live for a little while longer. If you wanted to truly leave the state you would finally too. I did and discovered that the grass isn't always greener and there were things that were always better where I was in the first place.............
I don't. You have a reading comprehension problem.
If you had stayed here and never ventured out you would not be in a position to say anything at all about Mississippi. But you grabbed both nuts and boldly set out to conquer whatever world you could find. Good. Now you know something about Mississippi relative to other places.

My Grandson did not. He chose the easy route and stayed in an area where he is widely known because of his family. He was taught from the earliest age that he is a Democrat, a Christian and an Ole Miss fan. He is not aware - and will never be aware - that he did not make those choices by himself. In my mind he is to be pitied. And in my experience, his life will get smaller as he grows older.

I was raised in a small town in Alabama not far from Auburn. I am still in contact with classmates from that time (1963) and the ones who never left are very, very different from those of us who did. Some day you may get back to whatever town you left and you will see what I mean. You will understand why "you can never go home again".
You have insulted me twice, and you will do it no more. You are on my ignore list. BOL.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Kentucky has a far smaller African American population than the Deep South States. It’s only 8.4% Black. Compare that to the numbers in MS, AL, LA, and GA. You might think it’s an opinion all you want to, but any state bordering a midwestern state could never be classified as a Deep South state. Kentucky is generally seen as upper south state, but wallow in your lack of knowledge about this, fine by me.
You point out the Black percentage when the fact is I'm including the white community as well.

You don't seem to understand Opinionated.

Go on biscuits, before i get some honey.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:44 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,898,031 times
Quote:
We don't have more poor people but a higher ratio poor people. Fact is the most poor people is in California.
No duh. Obviously, there are four times as many people in metro LA alone as in the whole state of MS.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
No duh. Obviously, there are four times as many people in metro LA alone as in the whole state of MS.
Duh yourself for the asinine statememt.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
You point out the Black percentage when the fact is I'm including the white community as well.

You don't seem to understand Opinionated.

Go on biscuits, before i get some honey.
I understand opinions fairly well, and I also understand what's said about opinions and how much they often stink. And chill with the jokes, you're not funny or original at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi