Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:20 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
The historic (not 'historical') neighborhoods are near the river. The old money is scattered.... what few "Old Money" families remain. Most of Vicksburg's "prominent" (not necessarily old) families, today, are descended from the Carpetbaggers who arrived during Reconstruction. They are not "Old Money" by Southern standards.

No, those neighborhoods are NOT safe.

The Old Vicksburg families (and what few remaining family heirlooms people might want to steal from them), are in Santa Barbara (LOTS of them, since the '20s), Scottsdale (LOTS of them, since the '20s). Southampton (NY), Park Avenue (NYC), Grosse Pointe, Durango (I know of one FFV - 'First Families of Vicksburg' descendant, who married a big insurance broker, was a Highland Park socialite, then retired to a palatial "lodge" outside Durango), Aspen, Beverly Hills, Highland Park (Texas), River Oaks (Houston, Texas), Druid Hills (Atlanta - where I hear a cousin of the Highland Park/Durango FFV descendant, married into a big plastics fortune, and into a coveted membership in the Druid Hills Country Club), Isle of Palms (South Carolina), Charleston (South Carolina, where, I hear one FFV descendant just married one of "The Vanderbilts of Charleston" - the "Vanderbilt" was after HIS family's officially 'Ultra-Ultra-High' net worth, by the way. ... all of that money having been made AFTER the family fled Mississippi, as is usually the case).

Few descendants of the old Norman English/Norse Protestant and Alsatian/Sephardic Jewish families (the two primary groups who qualify as "Old Money", in Mississippi), remain in the entire state. There are a good many Black aristocrats, from very old and very distinguished families (https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-30333#photo22) living in the Jackson area (traditionally in the Hanging Moss Road estate area https://www.google.com/maps/@32.3910...7i13312!8i6656 , and in Madison), but again, you'll find more of their descendants in Atlanta, View Park (https://la.curbed.com/2016/7/23/1225...istoric-places), Martha's Vineyard, and Prince George's County, than you'll find in Mississippi.

Most of the people doing well in the state, now, are descendants of the Old Families' Celtic slaves. They thrive in the vacuum left by the departing elites. Basically, those whose ancestors did NOT drop dead from hard work in Mississippi's deadly heat, are the ones who remain. Natural Selection....

They're a resilient bunch - very cynical, highly reactive, and very resistant to "authority", which is probably necessary, all things considered. They speak a cryptic form of English, in which words and phrases mean entirely different things than they do elsewhere ("Bless your heart" being one of the more obvious). Nuance, context, tone, posture, and pauses, mean more than the actual words. LOTS of people go down there from 'up North', thinking they'll fleece the local rubes. But the opposite happens, and plenty Yankees end up offing themselves, after they've been shown as fools, and bankrupted.

But just google 'Vicksburg Historic Mansion' (https://www.google.com/search?q=vick...h=737&dpr=1.33), or 'Vicksburg Victorian Mansion', and you'll find the neighborhoods. But NO!!!!! They're NOT "safe": https://www.google.com/search?q=Jacq...nt=firefox-b-1

Another lady, with less money than Mrs. Levitz, renovated an adorable Vicksburg cottage. Here's what SHE got for her efforts: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-...ghost-hunters/

One final thought:
Virtually NONE of the historic districts in Mississippi's towns are "safe". For that reason, the people inside the historic homes are locked & loaded, not to mention ready, willing, & ABLE, to blow the heads off people who come breaking down their doors in the dead of night: Man shot to death at popular Elvis museum Graceland Too

For that matter, jumping them in their driveways, in broad daylight, doesn't work too well, either: Jackson Jambalaya: Thugs try to rob a competitive shooter and gravely pay for it. (Updated)
Gloria, your posts are informative and hilarious. You have a way with words. The forum won't let me rep you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 09:38 PM

10 posts, read 11,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Gettysburg makes a ton of dough off the battlefield there. Given that Vicksburg was far more important than Gettysburg and that the Vicksburg battlefield park is a gem one wonders if the city could make more hay from the battlefield.

Of course given that the Union troops at Vicksburg were rough westerners from Illinois, Iowa, Indiana and such instead of chattering class easterners, Gettysburg is more famous. But recent trends in Civil War scholarship recognize and emphasize that the western theater—Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia—was of more importance than the eastern theater—mainly Virginia and a little Maryland and Pennsylvania. And that it was the Midwest, not the Northeast, that saved the Union.
Interesting, it appears that I am going to be taking a position in Vicksburg next summer. I live in Iowa, just on the other side of the Mississippi river from the site of the Union's prison for the Confederates at Rock Island. I am excited about moving down there to Vicksburg. I will be trading one view of the Mississippi River way up here in Iowa for another, down there where it's deep, cultured and special - Vicksburg is enchanted.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:17 PM

577 posts, read 560,509 times
The family that started Coca Cola, as we know it today, plus Delta airlines, is from Vicksburg. They came to Vicksburg and nearby Monroe from Germany around the 1880s. That's why Vicksburg has the Coca Cola museum and is why Delta airlines has its name.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:27 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach42t View Post
Interesting, it appears that I am going to be taking a position in Vicksburg next summer. I live in Iowa, just on the other side of the Mississippi river from the site of the Union's prison for the Confederates at Rock Island. I am excited about moving down there to Vicksburg. I will be trading one view of the Mississippi River way up here in Iowa for another, down there where it's deep, cultured and special - Vicksburg is enchanted.
I don't know if I would consider Vicksburg as "cultured" or "special", but it has a charm of it's own in a rough around the edges way.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:43 PM

10,210 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Interesting thread that happened to be be on top. Both Vicksburg and Gettysburg are on my bucket list to visit. I think the Battle of Vicksburg wasn't quite as famous as Gettysburg because the losses were a lot less for both sides, and a lot of Gettysburg was also the legend of Robert E. Lee and events like Pickett's Charge. I know some of the skirmishes leading up to Vicksburg were fought here in Louisiana such as Port Hudson.

Always wanted to take that drive up from Louisiana and also visit the famous ruins with the columns on the way too though I've heard a lot of the town on the way are very "ghetto".

I know very little about the town of Vicksburg aside from the battlefield. Its not mentioned as frequently as Natchez is for its traditional historic charm but I hear that exists in Vicksburg too.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:42 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
The family that started Coca Cola, as we know it today, plus Delta airlines, is from Vicksburg. They came to Vicksburg and nearby Monroe from Germany around the 1880s. That's why Vicksburg has the Coca Cola museum and is why Delta airlines has its name.
The guy you are talking about concerning Coca Cola was the first "bottler" of soft drinks and Coca Cola was the first soft drink he bottled. Before Biedenharn in Vicksburg, Coca Cola was sold strictly out of fountains. But the actual owners of the product were from Atlanta.

Quote:
Joseph Biedenharn installed bottling machinery in the rear of his Mississippi soda fountain, becoming the first to put Coca‑Cola in bottles.
Apparently the owner from Atlanta later gave exclusive bottling rights to some guys in Chattanooga. So I don't know what happened to Biedenharn's role at that point.

Last edited by eddie gein; 12-28-2018 at 11:53 AM..

Old 12-28-2018, 06:36 PM

577 posts, read 560,509 times
Joseph Biedenharn was the first man to bottle Coke, out of the drug store (now museum) in Vicksburg. He had the idea to bottle Coke and deliver it to people out in the country around Vicksburg. I believe the Coca Cola bottling companies were separate from Coke itself and many of the Biedenharn ancestors who inherited Coke stock ended up living in the San Antonio area, as they inherited Coca Cola bottling for the southwestern US and invested in Texas oil.

Joseph Biedenharn and his son also started the predecessor of Delta Airlines, which was the largest fleet of crop dusting planes in the world (serving the Mississippi Delta). The son Malcom became one of the six main investors in Delta, with plans to use their fleet of planes for passenger service, with the first flight from Dallas to Jackson, MS with stops in Shreveport and Monroe.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:50 PM

8 posts, read 6,049 times
Im NormanEnglish Protestant via Catalpa Plantation in Virginia to Knoxville, to Mississippi.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:16 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Joseph Biedenharn was the first man to bottle Coke, out of the drug store (now museum) in Vicksburg. He had the idea to bottle Coke and deliver it to people out in the country around Vicksburg. I believe the Coca Cola bottling companies were separate from Coke itself and many of the Biedenharn ancestors who inherited Coke stock ended up living in the San Antonio area, as they inherited Coca Cola bottling for the southwestern US and invested in Texas oil.

Joseph Biedenharn and his son also started the predecessor of Delta Airlines, which was the largest fleet of crop dusting planes in the world (serving the Mississippi Delta). The son Malcom became one of the six main investors in Delta, with plans to use their fleet of planes for passenger service, with the first flight from Dallas to Jackson, MS with stops in Shreveport and Monroe.
I'm from San Antonio and went to high school with some of their descendants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi