Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 06:39 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I've ever been to Pelahatchie. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pe...!4d-89.7984096 Around Jackson, Pelahatchie and Puckett are running jokes (mostly, just because their names have a humorous ring to them, and because they're waaaaay out somewhere, so far nobody knows exactly where). They're the Jacksonian equivalent of the Yiddish 'Hotseplots' - a bumpkin-filled place that actually existed, once-upon-a-time. You'd hear someone's fashion sense referred to with a wry, "Fashion News of Puckett". Or someone's regrettable decor would trigger a person's reaching into their mental library of hick accents, and going into Deep Dipthong, to utter a sarcastic, "Finest home twixt Pelahatchie an' Puckett."

But NOW: Pelahatchie mayor says she made call that launched investigation into city spending

Pelahatchie's new mayor, Ryshonda Harper Beechem, is alternately praised as a reformer, and vilified as a monster. Someone, as asserted in the linked WAPT article, even has described her administration as a "reign of terror".

Anyway, there was some big drug money confiscated, and there's a big controversy about it, with accusations flying in both directions. I have NO IDEA who the real bad-guys are, here. Maybe everybody.... (After all, we ARE talking about Rankin County - where there have been places filled with nothing BUT bad-guys Jackson Jambalaya: The Gold Coast of Rankin County) But I don't know, since I don't even know where Pelahatchie even IS, exactly, although I do know that chickens come from there. And, in my group, I'm the only one who even vaguely knows where it is (over on the other side of the Reservoir, somewhere). So, it's not like I have anybody to ask.

So please! If you have insight into Ryshonda's Reign of Terror (or non-reign of terror), please enlighten us!

Here's some of the studly Kingfish's coverage of the brouhaha: Jackson Jambalaya: State Auditor: Drug Money misspent. Demand issued to Pelahatchie officials for $502,363

Jackson Jambalaya: Do we know how much we owe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 05:13 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Pelahatchie is just off of I-20, going toward Meridian. I passed through there once or twice and got the impression that it isn’t as prosperous as the towns closer to Jackson.
I read in that “Jackson Jambalaya” article that the town annexed some land along the Interstate, so a driver might want to slow down in that stretch, just in case it’s a speed trap.
Small towns can be just as corrupt as big cities.
I highly recommend driving down the highways that parallel Interstates.

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 06-04-2018 at 05:30 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 05:36 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
From reading the article, it seems that Beechem is doing the right thing and uncovered a mess.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:15 AM

24 posts, read 25,791 times
I absolutely love living here and enjoy the small town feel and the proximity to the city. I live in the county so I did not get to vote in the major election. I've lived in several counties in this state and Rankin is one of the best! It's not just my personal opinion either, Jan 2018 Rankin county was ranked the #1 Selling county in the entire state for real estate so obviously a few people want to live here too. We have wonderful attractions that bring people from the metro area here every year like Yogi Bear Park, the Muscadine Jubilee, The peach farm in the summer on hwy 80 just to name a few.

Its pitiful someone who "doesn't even know where Pelahatchie is" post such ignorant comments. If I believed everything I heard I would think all of Madison County are swingers or just crazies who like to hold up in their houses armed until the police arrive!

Pelahatchie is Exit 68 Off Hwy 20, it is a very nice town and we would love for you to come visit and experience it before you write ignorant comments about something you know nothing about.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:41 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSliving View Post
I absolutely love living here and enjoy the small town feel and the proximity to the city. I live in the county so I did not get to vote in the major election. I've lived in several counties in this state and Rankin is one of the best! It's not just my personal opinion either, Jan 2018 Rankin county was ranked the #1 Selling county in the entire state for real estate so obviously a few people want to live here too. We have wonderful attractions that bring people from the metro area here every year like Yogi Bear Park, the Muscadine Jubilee, The peach farm in the summer on hwy 80 just to name a few.

Its pitiful someone who "doesn't even know where Pelahatchie is" post such ignorant comments. If I believed everything I heard I would think all of Madison County are swingers or just crazies who like to hold up in their houses armed until the police arrive!

Pelahatchie is Exit 68 Off Hwy 20, it is a very nice town and we would love for you to come visit and experience it before you write ignorant comments about something you know nothing about.

Well, consider me slapped-down! Please forgive my ignorance.

For once, someone has actually used the word "Ignorant" correctly (partly, anyway). "Ignorant" being generally understood as "a state of not knowing", it is reasonable to consider my post (in which I repeatedly STATE that I don't know - along with my request for information), is "ignorant", in a general way. Often, we see "Ignorant" applied so as to mean, "Whatever it is that you're talking about, is way over my head. But that doesn't stop me from feeling threatened by it." At other times, 'Ignorant' seems to mean, "That which deviates from what I understand to be the Current Reigning Orthodoxy."

So please forgive me, if I have deviated from the Current Reigning Orthodoxy of Pelahatchie.

But now, Hon, when you tell us that you've lived in several counties, and that Rankin is "one of the best", you leave me perplexed. I've just been googling the word, "Several", and the consensus among the experts, seems to be that 'Several' is more than 'A couple', but less than 'Many'. So, unless this is just my woeful ignorance acting-up again, it seems that your statement could be phrased as, "I haven't lived in many places in this state, but Rankin is one of the better ones." Or, if I might randomly pick a specific number from the range considered to be within "several", could one rephrase your statement to read, "I've lived in five Mississippi counties, and Rankin is definitely in my top five" ?

You see, "one of the best", as a phrase, is rather subjective. So, "I've lived in several counties in this state and Rankin is one of the best!", gives us an indefinite number of counties, within which Rankin has an indefinite status. A county could be dead-last among several (if 'Several' means 'Three'), while still being "among the best". Was this an example of your wry humor? Was it, maybe, a covert way of saying, "This place really IS pitiful"? Or, would you care to clarify?

I can understand your perception that my description of Hotseplots, as a legendarily 'Bumpkin-filled place', might, instead, refer to present-day Pelahatchie. Rest assured that I was describing just Hotseplots. Too, I am aware that there is a difference between reputation and reality. Thank you for giving us a description of 'The Real Pelahatchie'.

I looked-up the Muscadine Jubilee, and was duly impressed. They even had Larry Gatlin performing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGDMXGEvoJ4 What Bumpkin has ever gone to a Larry Gatlin performance? I mean, his minimum fee, now, is twenty five THOUSAND Dollars.

And that YogiBear Park is really something else! First time I ever heard of Yogi Bear, was when Mrs. Leona Campbell mentioned him, after she crawled out-from-under the 2003 Earth Destroyer SUV that ran her over: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKrGZi9MV08 But now I see there is so much more! Whatever it is that I got wrong about Pelahatchie (and I'd love to hear the specifics, rather than about the general wrongness of my post), surely is contradicted by this thrilling Video from Yogi Bear Park. Good times out by the propane tank! Yessireee! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idBkNFO4308

So, since you're a recognized local expert, please tell us about MAYOR RYSHONDA and her current difficulties. Who are the good guys in this story? Who are the bad guys? Are there any bad guys? Are there any good guys? You seem to have your finger on the pulse of Pelahatchie, so please enlighten the rest of us.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 06-22-2018 at 01:50 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 04:03 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,438,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
So, since you're a recognized local expert, please tell us about MAYOR RYSHONDA and her current difficulties. Who are the good guys in this story? Who are the bad guys? Are there any bad guys? Are there any good guys? You seem to have your finger on the pulse of Pelahatchie, so please enlighten the rest of us.
You probably should have started and finished with just this paragraph. Recognize your ignorance and ask for information.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:29 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
You probably should have started and finished with just this paragraph. Recognize your ignorance and ask for information.
I don’t know if she really believes everything she posts or is just trolling us.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:15 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I don’t know if she really believes everything she posts or is just trolling us.
She’s a character and often an amusing one. The reason I check the Mississippi forum is to see if she has something going.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:02 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
I don't know Gloria in real life, but I find it amusing to read her posts in an aristocratic, feminine, deep South voice.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:54 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I'm not sure I've ever been to Pelahatchie. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pe...!4d-89.7984096 Around Jackson, Pelahatchie and Puckett are running jokes (mostly, just because their names have a humorous ring to them, and because they're waaaaay out somewhere, so far nobody knows exactly where). They're the Jacksonian equivalent of the Yiddish 'Hotseplots' - a bumpkin-filled place that actually existed, once-upon-a-time. You'd hear someone's fashion sense referred to with a wry, "Fashion News of Puckett". Or someone's regrettable decor would trigger a person's reaching into their mental library of hick accents, and going into Deep Dipthong, to utter a sarcastic, "Finest home twixt Pelahatchie an' Puckett."

But NOW: Pelahatchie mayor says she made call that launched investigation into city spending

Pelahatchie's new mayor, Ryshonda Harper Beechem, is alternately praised as a reformer, and vilified as a monster. Someone, as asserted in the linked WAPT article, even has described her administration as a "reign of terror".

Anyway, there was some big drug money confiscated, and there's a big controversy about it, with accusations flying in both directions. I have NO IDEA who the real bad-guys are, here. Maybe everybody.... (After all, we ARE talking about Rankin County - where there have been places filled with nothing BUT bad-guys Jackson Jambalaya: The Gold Coast of Rankin County) But I don't know, since I don't even know where Pelahatchie even IS, exactly, although I do know that chickens come from there. And, in my group, I'm the only one who even vaguely knows where it is (over on the other side of the Reservoir, somewhere). So, it's not like I have anybody to ask.

So please! If you have insight into Ryshonda's Reign of Terror (or non-reign of terror), please enlighten us!

Here's some of the studly Kingfish's coverage of the brouhaha: Jackson Jambalaya: State Auditor: Drug Money misspent. Demand issued to Pelahatchie officials for $502,363

Jackson Jambalaya: Do we know how much we owe?
All of your posts are so rich with description and names unknown north of the Mason Dixon line - or perhaps, outside of MS, that you make we want to schedule a visit, post haste.

Well, not until winter. I am recovering from a spate of 90 degree days that had this Yankee running from my car, to the house and the pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi