Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 09:24 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Meh... More "backwards" and "backwoods" jabs at Mississippi. Those are Mississippi laws and I can't say as I know anyone who is affected by them or ever has been. There are currently 14 states that still have versions of the laws you are concerned about - Find them here.

I don't find the subject very interesting and it is obviously not the thing "holding Mississippi back". I invite you to take up the subject with interested parties.

We have someone who posts the same stuff as you, only he uses Marijuana restrictions to show how "backward" we are.

Living in Mississippi works well for us, so we're going to stay here. The people are nice and the cost of living is low. If something comes up we will either vote for it or against it. We'll make up our own mind.
Uh huh. I presented links with facts. Did you bother to read them before you dismissed my post? I guess it doesn't concern you that Mississippi spits in the face of your constitutional rights.

I'm as big of a supporter of Mississippi as anyone, but when something is wrong its OK to point it out. This is wrong.

Last edited by jhadorn; 12-23-2018 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 08:12 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Meh... More "backwards" and "backwoods" jabs at Mississippi. Those are Mississippi laws and I can't say as I know anyone who is affected by them or ever has been. There are currently 14 states that still have versions of the laws you are concerned about - Find them here.

I don't find the subject very interesting and it is obviously not the thing "holding Mississippi back". I invite you to take up the subject with interested parties.

We have someone who posts the same stuff as you, only he uses Marijuana restrictions to show how "backward" we are.

Living in Mississippi works well for us, so we're going to stay here. The people are nice and the cost of living is low. If something comes up we will either vote for it or against it. We'll make up our own mind.
When I called Mississippi backwards and/or backwoods for criminalizing something that has been deemed a constitutional right, and requiring people to register as a sex offender for doing it, that isn't an unfounded "jab" at the state. It is the state of Mississippi violating your constitutional rights. You SHOULD be angry and extremely concerned about this. Also, just because you don't know anyone affected by this does not mean people are not affected. There are still many people unjustly and unconstitutionally on the sex offender registry for "consensual unnatural sex".

You are correct, there ARE other states that have laws on the books, but how many of them are being sued for blatant disregard of your constitution rights. Does it not bother you that what you do behind closed doors with your wife or significant other on a CONSENSUAL basis is subject to land you in jail or on the sex offender registry?

That's fine with me if you don't find the subject "interesting". That's your prerogative, but surely you are intelligent enough to realize that violation of your constitutional rights is wrong.

I am not asking you to move out of Mississippi, and I never disputed the "niceness" of the people. I'm glad Mississippi works well for you, but don't get too wrapped up in defending Mississippi because you feel it gets "jabs" against it. This is something any informed person who cares about their freedoms should stand up against.

Ignoring or displaying an attitude of disinterest for the problem will not make it go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi