Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,950 times

Advertisements

I'm a die hard Florida Gator who grew up in Laurel , MS and lived in Jacksonville, FL for 30 years before moving to Telford, TN (just outside of Johnson City). My father went to school at Ole Miss so I've been there many times. I also spent a week there for a QB/Reciever clinic in high school. I'd rather live in Knoxville than any place in MS. It's just a much nicer and prettier area. People are nice in both states, but you just can't beat East TN for it's beauty and access to out door activities, plus all the fun of Pidgeon Forge and Gatlinburg. MS just doesn't compare in that respect. And when it comes to padgentry and great college football, no place beats Gainesville, FL, but when it comes to every day living, you can't beat East Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 09:06 AM

Sometimes pictures speak volumes.
Knoxville, TN day and night.
Neyland Stadium.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Hattiesburg more liberal/cosmopolitan than Oxford?-knoxville-tn.jpg   Is Hattiesburg more liberal/cosmopolitan than Oxford?-knoxville-night.jpg   Is Hattiesburg more liberal/cosmopolitan than Oxford?-neyland-stadium.jpg  

Last edited by williboy; 06-17-2008 at 09:21 AM..

Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 AM

College football at it's best.
1. The Gator Walk is where the Gators file into the stadium two hours prior to kickoff with the band and thousands of fans there to greet them.
2. "The Swamp" where only Gators come out alive. UF beating up on FSU.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Hattiesburg more liberal/cosmopolitan than Oxford?-gator-walk.jpg   Is Hattiesburg more liberal/cosmopolitan than Oxford?-uf-vs.-fsu.jpg  

Old 06-17-2008, 01:25 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2 View Post
I consider the Ole Miss students (about what 10,000 out of the total 45,000 county populace) to be fairly uniform (90% greek, all dress the same, etc.), which in my opinion is pretty boring. As a matter of fact, a running joke among a couple of a couple of my friends who work in HR is how similar or identical an interview with an Ole Miss grad is, it is like they are "programmed" to think alike in their 4 years.

Just my two cents, depending on your tastes, Knoxville people are more boring and less cosmoplitan compared to New York or even Nashville, but not Oxford, unless you consider wearing khakis, polos and greek letters all the time the pinnacle of that lifestyle.
You obviously do not know very much about Ole Miss or Oxford. The campus is only 1/3 Greek. I wasn't Greek when I was a student there, and over half my friends weren't either. And obviously HR's tend to like Ole Miss grads because the business school is in the US News & World Report top 100, in which starting salary and ease of finding a job play a major role. I live in Charleston now, and I love it here. It is one of the best places to live in the country and probably the best in the South. Oxford is a small town version of Charleston, with more Southern culture, less tourists and northerners, and no water. I've lived in Knoxville, and it can't compare to either one. Just look at the rankings. Oxford repeatedly appears in the magazines for both retirees and college students as a great town.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:38 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
MODERATOR: Folks, can we bring it back to Oxford and Hattiesburg? Thanks!

Sam

Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 PM

Charleston, SC reminds me of Savannah, GA and I wouldn't live in either place. They're fun to visit, but not to live in. I lived in Charleston for a year by the way. Oxford is a nice town, but it is rather small. I like Hattiesburg much better, but that's my personal preference. You could argue the pros and cons of both places, but ultimately it comes down to what you individually like.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:48 PM

7 posts, read 29,331 times
I like oxford better and i went to state...cant stand hattiesburg or usm. hattiesburg in my opinion is more liberal. something about playing slow dixie in the grove just doesn't seem that liberal or cosmo to me....pretty nostalgic though.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 AM

376 posts, read 1,779,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
Charleston, SC reminds me of Savannah, GA and I wouldn't live in either place. They're fun to visit, but not to live in. I lived in Charleston for a year by the way. Oxford is a nice town, but it is rather small. I like Hattiesburg much better, but that's my personal preference. You could argue the pros and cons of both places, but ultimately it comes down to what you individually like.
Yes, it comes down to what you like personally, but obviously your personal opinion is vastly different than the majority.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:57 AM

I disagree with you on my opinion being different than the majority. Neither you nor I know what the majority's opinion is. You prefer Oxford and I prefer Hattiesburg as well as our opinions on other areas. I'm sure a great number of people agree and disagree with both of us, but there's no way to put a number on it.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 AM

506 posts, read 1,475,389 times
In my BIASED opinion, it's Oxford. Hattiesburg is full of chains and strip malls--it isn't cosmopolitan at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi