U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:14 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,015,249 times

Advertisements

I am wondering which of these two cities is the most sophisticated and liberal/open-minded.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 12:48 AM

63 posts, read 215,208 times
I would probably say Hattiesburg. Oxford is an old conservative town, with the exception of the university. Both cities have large universities, which do provide a liberal setting. With that in mind, I would say Hattiesburg is probably more liberal and you would probably find a more eclectic group of people. I have lived in Hattiesburg for 4 years now and when compared to Oxford, I say Hattiesburg.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,728,559 times
I agree, Hattiesburg definitely feels more cosmopolitan than Oxford.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 AM

376 posts, read 1,716,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
I agree, Hattiesburg definitely feels more cosmopolitan than Oxford.
Hattiesburg is a typical suburban town with typical chain restaurants and strip malls. Oxford is like a mini Charleston. Oxford appears more conservative to people who don't know the town because it looks like the classic picture-perfect Southern town (as does Charleston). However, Oxford is probably the most liberal town in the state. Ole Miss is classically a liberal arts college, while Southern Miss has is roots as a teachers school. Many of those vestiges remain. The arts scene in Oxford is much larger, so much so that USA Today named it the "New South Arts Mecca." The music scene in Oxford is great. Most of the bands playing in Hattiesburg are ones venturing down from Oxford. Also, there are a lot of events held in Oxford that Hattiesburg just can't get, like the programs at the Ford Center or the 2008 presidential debates. There are many liberal free-spirited types living in Oxford, though this is decreasing as cost of living has skyrocketed. For more of an objective measurement, Lafayette (Oxford) voted against the gay marriage ban by 22%, while Forrest-Lamar (Hattiesburg) voted against the gay marriage ban by 14%. I couldn't get the city numbers, though I'd bet the disparity is much greater. Neither are liberal bastions, but Oxford is easily the more cosmopolitan.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:00 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,015,249 times
Default Hattiesburg downtown

Does Hattiesburg have a vibrant downtown/"mainstreet" area? And what about the area by the University?

Are there "walkable" neighorhoods in either of the above 2 sections? With restaurants, shops, etc>

Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 AM

376 posts, read 1,716,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
Does Hattiesburg have a vibrant downtown/"mainstreet" area? And what about the area by the University?

Are there "walkable" neighorhoods in either of the above 2 sections? With restaurants, shops, etc>
Hattiesburg does have a downtown, but it was pretty much ignored until the last few years. There's a lot of redevelopment going on downtown with new shops and restaurants, though it is still at an early stage. There isn't much housing there yet. The area around the university is technically walkable (there are sidewalks), though all the businesses are car-oriented. Be prepared to walk across parking lots. Hardy Street, where all the restaurants, banks, etc. near the university are, is very suburban.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:25 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,756,355 times
Hattiesburg by far. I went to USM and really enjoyed my college experience.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:13 PM

30 posts, read 141,984 times
If you went to USM, Hattiesburg is more "cosmopolitan" than Oxford. If you went to Ole Miss, you're probably of the opinion that Oxford wins out in that department. Personally, my six months in Oxford were a living hell.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:57 PM

Hattiesburg is a fine city. It's close to the coast and New Orleans and yet just far enough away.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:08 PM

Hattiesburg is also much larger than Oxford.
Hattiesburg - Pop. - 44,000 plus
Oxford - 11,000 plus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi