Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 02:41 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Because I don't consider it sad. Athletics helps the colleges in many ways. The money trickles down all over the place. Some people may have only went to a certain college due to athletics.
That's not a very good reason for choosing a university. It plays a role, but should be pretty far down the list of decision criteria (unless you're a scholarship athlete).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 05:25 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Because they are "for-profit" institutions and the universtys are in it for the money.
This really isn't true. The money is just big in football and somewhat so for basketball. The windfall hit very quickly and no one was truly prepared to deal with it. People who say it's a business are the extreme cynics who are jealous that it's having success.

The problem is, there is no 'boogeyman' to point at and say, "THAT GUY IS GETTING RICH!". There's this false premise about the NCAA and schools getting rich, well, who? The only person I can think of is the coaches themselves. Nobody ever gets mad at them, though.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
That's not a very good reason for choosing a university. It plays a role, but should be pretty far down the list of decision criteria (unless you're a scholarship athlete).
Disagree. Nowadays, my opinion is that most of it is all the same and you get out what you put in. So much higher learning is BS in this day and age. Obviously an Ivy League education is great, so don't make my statements black and white. There's a ton of gray.

In general, a state-school education is just fine for anyone.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:49 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
I graduated from USM, and honestly Hattiesburg is a lovely little town. All the pine trees give it a nice look and that pine smell alone gives you a higher quality of life. I miss that smell so much, I would move back there just for that. The long leaf trace is just gorgeous and I could run for miles there. Hattiesburg is kind of a sleepy town, but there is stuff to do if you want to find it bad enough. Also Hattiesburg is significantly less "Mississippi-ish" than Starkville and Oxford. On USM campus you don't get that stuck-up-old-white-gentry feel like at ole miss and state ( though State is more stuck up rednecks), USM its a very diverse and accepting university.
I've always said Ole Miss is the poster campus for southern aristocracy and pretentiousness. State is more the campus for people who can't stand southern aristocracy and pretentiousness. And USM is for people who really don't worry about that stuff.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I've always said Ole Miss is the poster campus for southern aristocracy and pretentiousness. State is more the campus for people who can't stand southern aristocracy and pretentiousness. And USM is for people who really don't worry about that stuff.
This is why MSU folks and USM folks should unite, they are much more alike than people think. I wish USM folks, which picking a Power 5 to root for, would pick MSU. Same for if MSU folks want to pull for a Group of 5 team.

By the way, your username truly does creep me out. Is he a hero of yours?

Old 09-14-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
This is why MSU folks and USM folks should unite, they are much more alike than people think. I wish USM folks, which picking a Power 5 to root for, would pick MSU. Same for if MSU folks want to pull for a Group of 5 team.

By the way, your username truly does creep me out. Is he a hero of yours?
User name is intended to creep people out.

Got the idea from this:

https://www.colorado.edu/umc/dining/alferd-packer

I figured if CU students could handle that. Then C-D could handle E.G.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:22 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Disagree. Nowadays, my opinion is that most of it is all the same and you get out what you put in. So much higher learning is BS in this day and age. Obviously an Ivy League education is great, so don't make my statements black and white. There's a ton of gray.

In general, a state-school education is just fine for anyone.
I agree with that to a certain extent. Most state universities have honors colleges that can be very good. But ... I stand by my statement that athletic prowness should never be a criterion for choosing a school. They are academic institutions first and foremost ... or are supposed to be. I enjoy football as much as the next guy, even have season tickets, but it's collateral to academics.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:22 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,894,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I agree with that to a certain extent. Most state universities have honors colleges that can be very good. But ... I stand by my statement that athletic prowness should never be a criterion for choosing a school. They are academic institutions first and foremost ... or are supposed to be. I enjoy football as much as the next guy, even have season tickets, but it's collateral to academics.
They should be academic institutions first and foremost, but we know that is not the case. When 50k people show up to watch a kid take math test (and several million more watch it on TV), the academic side will regain importance.

Money drives everything and bigtime sports bring in the money. Any SEC school, including Vanderbilt, would kick out a straight A student to make room for an illiterate neanderthal who can help win football games.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
When 50k people show up to watch a kid take math test (and several million more watch it on TV), the academic side will regain importance.
Quote:
It's kind of hard to rally around a math class.
Paul 'Bear' Bryant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi