Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 03:02 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,837,691 times

Advertisements

So there is a good possibility that the new guy in my life wants to move to Booneville MS. We are currently in Wisconsin. (His daughter lives near Booneville)
What is it like there? We are going there for Thanksgiving for a week. I'm kind of freaking out that it is all backwoods, isolated, nothing to do.......
Any insight to this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 03:27 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,765,855 times
There's high-speed Internet, and a Walmart Supercenter. You don't need anything else.

And it's in the good corner of the state, with the decent demographics - at least until the drug gangs from South-of-the-border arrived. From a look at the local businesses, it seems they DO have a STRONG presence in Booneville. Sorry... America is dying. There's virtually nowhere that's decent, anymore. But Booneville will be fine.

But even if you lived in Jackson, the Capital, or Memphis (the nearest real city), "Things to do" wouldn't be worth doing. People are Football-crazy, and mostly stuck in the Seventies. Everything is really lowbrow. Anyway, if you were sitting in a Manhattan apartment, or in a multimillion-Dollar house in a good suburb of a good city, you'd still be on the Internet, most of the time - or watching movies via a high-speed connection. So, what difference does it make? Anything that Walmart doesn't carry, you can order through Amazon/eBay/Etsy/whatever.

Mississippians live in their own bubbles. Construct your own, and don't be dependent on "things to do". Come up with your OWN "things to do".

Old 10-25-2018, 06:48 AM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
So there is a good possibility that the new guy in my life wants to move to Booneville MS. We are currently in Wisconsin. (His daughter lives near Booneville)
What is it like there? We are going there for Thanksgiving for a week. I'm kind of freaking out that it is all backwoods, isolated, nothing to do.......
Yeah. It's all backwoods, isolated and nothing to do.
Nah. I'm kidding! You may enjoy it, and in particular you may enjoy the weather. Take a visit over to Tishomingo State Park, or up to Lake Pickwick if the outdoors is your thing. If not, run down to Tupelo and enjoy the downtown area bars and so forth.

Really. As we say around here, "It ain't half bad". Talk to black folks; talk to white folks; hell, talk to everyone. Don't be skeert. Jump right in.
Nov 18th is Holiday Open House in Tupelo. Nov 24 is Shop Small in Tupelo where all the smaller shops are open and serve snacks and so forth. And then Nov 30th is The Christmas Parade.
You'll enjoy it.

PS: Sorry your Brewers didn't make it to The World Series. You've got some real champions on that team.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:59 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,431,538 times
You didn't tell us where in Wisconsin you live now. Many parts of WI can be just as rural and isolated as Booneville, so maybe there wouldn't be any difference for you.

The only good thing I can say about Booneville is that it's less than 2 hours from Memphis, and 3 hours from Nashville. Between those two cities you'll have your pick of excellent restaurants, live music, touring shows, brick and mortar retailers, etc.

No idea what kind of cable or Internet options you'll have in Booneville. You might be restricted to satellite TV, and DSL internet.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
There's high-speed Internet, and a Walmart Supercenter. You don't need anything else.

And it's in the good corner of the state, with the decent demographics - at least until the drug gangs from South-of-the-border arrived. From a look at the local businesses, it seems they DO have a STRONG presence in Booneville. Sorry... America is dying. There's virtually nowhere that's decent, anymore. But Booneville will be fine.

But even if you lived in Jackson, the Capital, or Memphis (the nearest real city), "Things to do" wouldn't be worth doing. People are Football-crazy, and mostly stuck in the Seventies. Everything is really lowbrow. Anyway, if you were sitting in a Manhattan apartment, or in a multimillion-Dollar house in a good suburb of a good city, you'd still be on the Internet, most of the time - or watching movies via a high-speed connection. So, what difference does it make? Anything that Walmart doesn't carry, you can order through Amazon/eBay/Etsy/whatever.

Mississippians live in their own bubbles. Construct your own, and don't be dependent on "things to do". Come up with your OWN "things to do".
You're right. Good insight
Thank you!

Old 10-25-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah. It's all backwoods, isolated and nothing to do.
Nah. I'm kidding! You may enjoy it, and in particular you may enjoy the weather. Take a visit over to Tishomingo State Park, or up to Lake Pickwick if the outdoors is your thing. If not, run down to Tupelo and enjoy the downtown area bars and so forth.

Really. As we say around here, "It ain't half bad". Talk to black folks; talk to white folks; hell, talk to everyone. Don't be skeert. Jump right in.
Nov 18th is Holiday Open House in Tupelo. Nov 24 is Shop Small in Tupelo where all the smaller shops are open and serve snacks and so forth. And then Nov 30th is The Christmas Parade.
You'll enjoy it.

PS: Sorry your Brewers didn't make it to The World Series. You've got some real champions on that team.
Thanks Listener! Good advise and you made me laugh.....I appreciate that

Old 10-25-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
You didn't tell us where in Wisconsin you live now. Many parts of WI can be just as rural and isolated as Booneville, so maybe there wouldn't be any difference for you.

The only good thing I can say about Booneville is that it's less than 2 hours from Memphis, and 3 hours from Nashville. Between those two cities you'll have your pick of excellent restaurants, live music, touring shows, brick and mortar retailers, etc.

No idea what kind of cable or Internet options you'll have in Booneville. You might be restricted to satellite TV, and DSL internet.
My profile states "Milwaukee area of WI".....not sure if you saw that

Thanks for the tips JacksonPanther I will love being able to go to Memphis and Nashville as I've never been there but always wanted to visit

Old 10-25-2018, 08:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,889,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

Truth!!!! Good job GG, sums up MS and the Country perfectly. Your best work!

Old 10-26-2018, 11:11 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,981,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Very pretty area of the state. I go up to Tishomingo State Park quite a bit.

It's going to be small though, so embrace that. Tupelo isn't far away though, and has all the restaurants and such.

Over the next 20 years, that area will see decent growth but it'll never be a huge metro.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Very pretty area of the state. I go up to Tishomingo State Park quite a bit.

It's going to be small though, so embrace that. Tupelo isn't far away though, and has all the restaurants and such.

Over the next 20 years, that area will see decent growth but it'll never be a huge metro.
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi