U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:03 PM

3,328 posts, read 4,596,480 times

Advertisements

In most of Mississippi, you're almost certain to do about as well (or as badly) as your parents and grandparents did, in terms of economic standing: https://goo.gl/images/94GUrE Not so, in some states.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 10-31-2018 at 11:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 06:20 AM

985 posts, read 1,031,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
In most of Mississippi, you're almost certain to do about as well (or as badly) as your parents and grandparents did, in terms of economic standing: https://goo.gl/images/94GUrE Not so, in some states.
Surprised by GA, SC and NC.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:07 AM

18,690 posts, read 11,011,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
So what came first for you?
Did your drive for success lead you away from Mississippi, or did you leave Mississippi and stumble into a bed of roses?

Old 11-04-2018, 01:17 AM

3,328 posts, read 4,596,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Surprised by GA, SC and NC.

And Southwest Louisiana was a shocker, too - but in a good way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
So what came first for you?
Did your drive for success lead you away from Mississippi, or did you leave Mississippi and stumble into a bed of roses?

Actually, DH and I had gone from the Bottom Quintile to the Top Quintile, while we were still in Mississippi. In fact, we'd made it into the Top One Percent (In Posh Little Madison, however, we only ranked in the top three or four percent: https://statisticalatlas.com/state/M...-of-the-top-5- ).

I don't think that I have any 'drive for success', at all. I just wanted things to be alright: to be SURE things would be alright. I wanted things to be better. It's just that my perceptions of 'Alright', and 'Better' won't hold-still. They keep shifting. And I have this thing in my head, that makes me see things in terms of reward ratios. I run the numbers in my head, applying the principles I've learned in Economics, and if the risk seems to offer me the right ratio of return, I cannot NOT take the risk. I have to have more, for things to be alright. Understand? I don't want to "succeed". I just want and NEED more.

I think that my husband DOES have 'drive for success'. He has an internal anger, which makes him predatory in business, and makes him eat the way he does (dark, leafy greens - raw and nearly-raw), and lift weights the way he does (he ripples, and moves like a panther). And while he's spendy, he spends on things which will advance our position.

So, rather than stumble into a bed of roses upon our arrival in the PNW, we actually brought our money garden with us, on our transcontinental schlep. I have to say, though, that our "garden" really, REALLY started to grow, once we'd relocated. There've been years when it's doubled in size, year after year.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 11-04-2018 at 02:00 AM..

Old 11-05-2018, 12:08 PM

11,622 posts, read 8,321,443 times
Obviously the south didn't fare very well on that map but I want to point out something kind of strange about it on a national level. Much of the great plains did well on the map but the great plains is losing population like crazy among young people.

What population gains we are getting (Texas panhandle, western OK, western Kansas) are pretty much hispanic immigrants taking the place of young (native to the area) people who are moving to metro areas. Where I live it is OKC, Tulsa, DFW and Wichita.

It just seems odd that the area doing the best on this map is the area that everybody is leaving. My assumption is that young people in MS/South do the same thing. Migrate to the urban centers there. And if that's the case why aren't we seeing the same result as we see on the plains?

Old 11-05-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Obviously the south didn't fare very well on that map but I want to point out something kind of strange about it on a national level. Much of the great plains did well on the map but the great plains is losing population like crazy among young people.

What population gains we are getting (Texas panhandle, western OK, western Kansas) are pretty much hispanic immigrants taking the place of young (native to the area) people who are moving to metro areas. Where I live it is OKC, Tulsa, DFW and Wichita.

It just seems odd that the area doing the best on this map is the area that everybody is leaving. My assumption is that young people in MS/South do the same thing. Migrate to the urban centers there. And if that's the case why aren't we seeing the same result as we see on the plains?
I don't see all that much of a migration out of Mississippi, and darn little within the state. Mostly, people stay; that's part of the problem. College grads move away, sometimes.
Staying close to family, which is a habit among a lot of Southerners, can be deadly for anyone who wants to improve himself. A study done a few years back showed that 70% of Mississippians have never lived anywhere else. I think it's a little sad. And for anyone moving into our state, it can be terribly frustrating as idle gossip passes for conversation.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:30 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,005,257 times
Quote:
I don't see all that much of a migration out of Mississippi, and darn little within the state. Mostly, people stay; that's part of the problem. College grads move away, sometimes.
Staying close to family, which is a habit among a lot of Southerners, can be deadly for anyone who wants to improve himself. A study done a few years back showed that 70% of Mississippians have never lived anywhere else. I think it's a little sad. And for anyone moving into our state, it can be terribly frustrating as idle gossip passes for conversation.
I definitely think that the out-migration is over-exaggerated. I personally think it's propaganda, to make people think that the 'future' is urbanized areas and you better get on board or get left behind. Weird thing is, propaganda usually has the opposite effect. Can call it a form of karma I guess.

Most of the college graduates from MS, that leave, head to Memphis, Houston, Birmingham and Huntsville, with lesser amounts going to Dallas, Nashville and Atlanta. So, they aren't that far away, and many seem to come back to the Sip a good bit too.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:47 PM

2,034 posts, read 1,131,220 times
Quote:
I think despite the fact they never lived anywhere else doesn't mean they haven't traveled to other places. Also it's like that for many states so what make the Sipp so different .

Old 11-05-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I think despite the fact they never lived anywhere else doesn't mean they haven't traveled to other places. Also it's like that for many states so what make the Sipp so different .
Right! I'm one of those. Lived in Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Atlanta, Huntsville, AL; Ft Worth...
Fate found me back here (I'm actually from Alabama) but I'm fairly happy. Retirement works out well here and That Woman's happy.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:15 AM

2,034 posts, read 1,131,220 times
Quote:
Right! I'm one of those. Lived in Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Atlanta, Huntsville, AL; Ft Worth...
Fate found me back here (I'm actually from Alabama) but I'm fairly happy. Retirement works out well here and That Woman's happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi