Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 04:51 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Next trip to MS may be exclusively Vicksburg.
Vicksburg, Yorktown and Ninety Six are the three places in the NPS system where the remains (some reconstructed by the WPA) of fortifications and offensive siegeworks allow you to follow and understand a black gunpowder era siege. At Vicksburg you can see places where the Federal saps were worked up to the ditches of the rebel fortifications. The Army of the Tennessee had worked up to the rebel lines in several places and was poised to quickly overwhelm the defenders had Pemberton not surrendered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 01:10 PM

560 posts, read 786,553 times
Vicksburg is only 72 miles from Natchez. Why not visit both? I loved Natchez and plan on returning soon.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:43 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
The coast town of Bay St. Louis is charming and walkable with beautiful views of the Bay. Ocean Springs is also a delightful place to stroll through on a nice day. While you are on the coast, if you have any interest in more glitzy fare, the Beau Rivage has food, gambling, shows, and usually it is all decked out for the holidays.
oh I love bay st louis, I wish I could live right there on that point, That new bay st louis harbor. I poured all that concrete there. ocean spring is very nice, during the summer i will walk the bridge every night, almost four mile. I have walk the bay st louis bridge too. That area is great during crusin the coast, we will camp on the beach the whole week and watch the cars.

there one house in bay st louis, its a weird tall, triangle house, I always wanted to live in it

Old 11-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
I grew up an hour from Vicksburg in Louisiana, so I can say it's definitely worth a visit, and not just for Civil War stuff. Lots of interesting architecture, old homes, and such. The thing about Vicksburg is even though there's a lot of tourists that stop there, it doesn't behave like a tourist trap. There's still a lot of people just going about their day-to-day lives despite it being a tourist town. Windsor ruins, south of there near Port Gibson, also great to see. Port Gibson itself ("Too beautiful to burn", as General Grant allegedly said, not proven so far as I know. Maybe others on here can help me out) still has a lot of old homes as well.

I don't know if there's an 'inner hipster' in you waiting to get out, so to speak. But if there is, Fondren and Belhaven neighborhoods in Jackson is definitely worth a visit, if nothing else to show that there's a lot more ideological diversity in the state than is commonly thought. If you're there, check out Cups coffee house (especially the original at Lakeland Dr @ Old Canton Rd). Fondren Corner, practically right at that same intersection, has a lot of restaurants and other quirky shops as well.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:54 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
I grew up an hour from Vicksburg in Louisiana, so I can say it's definitely worth a visit, and not just for Civil War stuff. Lots of interesting architecture, old homes, and such. The thing about Vicksburg is even though there's a lot of tourists that stop there, it doesn't behave like a tourist trap. There's still a lot of people just going about their day-to-day lives despite it being a tourist town. Windsor ruins, south of there near Port Gibson, also great to see. Port Gibson itself ("Too beautiful to burn", as General Grant allegedly said, not proven so far as I know. Maybe others on here can help me out) still has a lot of old homes as well.

I don't know if there's an 'inner hipster' in you waiting to get out, so to speak. But if there is, Fondren and Belhaven neighborhoods in Jackson is definitely worth a visit, if nothing else to show that there's a lot more ideological diversity in the state than is commonly thought. If you're there, check out Cups coffee house (especially the original at Lakeland Dr @ Old Canton Rd). Fondren Corner, practically right at that same intersection, has a lot of restaurants and other quirky shops as well.
I don't have much of an inner hipster in me.

Learned that the hard way spending a day in Austin!

Old 04-19-2019, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 6,460 times
Don't come to Jackson! Nothing but crime and decay.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:36 PM

Hoo boy! And I was thinking about this thread today and to see it bumped up!

Yes, I'll be flying into Memphis to drive to Vicksburg in late October this year. Big Civil War Roundtable going on then.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:48 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Hoo boy! And I was thinking about this thread today and to see it bumped up!

Yes, I'll be flying into Memphis to drive to Vicksburg in late October this year. Big Civil War Roundtable going on then.
It's a bit of a drive down from Memphis. The gunboat they have there (USS Cairo) is amazing and the battlefield park still has the churned up ground from the siege works and artillery.
If you like civil war they have Fort Pillow about an hour north of Memphis as well, it has the recreated fort, pretty much just a dugout, and a small museam. A good spot to contemplate one of the darker periods of civil war history and also to realize - hey the 'Sip moves!
Also on any given weekend there are usually civil war reenactments somewhere in the state or nearby TN.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's a bit of a drive down from Memphis. The gunboat they have there (USS Cairo) is amazing and the battlefield park still has the churned up ground from the siege works and artillery.
If you like civil war they have Fort Pillow about an hour north of Memphis as well, it has the recreated fort, pretty much just a dugout, and a small museam. A good spot to contemplate one of the darker periods of civil war history and also to realize - hey the 'Sip moves!
Also on any given weekend there are usually civil war reenactments somewhere in the state or nearby TN.
I intend to make that trip as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi