U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 09:57 PM

975 posts, read 1,018,051 times

Advertisements

https://wreg.com/2018/11/08/hospital...sissippi-poll/

Did he possibly think there would be a good outcome? I knew immediately he was getting fired. He will never work in a professional job in the south again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 10:32 PM

18,616 posts, read 10,932,039 times
I had to laugh:
Quote:
He gets caught in a lot of trouble." The neighbor is referring to an incident years ago when Hickey resigned from the Memphis Police Department. He was caught in a car with a 17-year-old girl and alcohol.
"He just gets caught in all the wrong situations," the neighbor said.
Yeah. That's a 'wrong situation', alright.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:23 AM

3,698 posts, read 2,837,317 times
I wonder why he chose to wear that t shirt to vote? Was he making a statement? I don't believe it was an oversight. I think he knew exactly what he was doing. It's his way of letting a large portion of his constituency to see him and that he has their back. Unless he's just downright stupid or looking for trouble, he should have known better as a public official, than to wear a t shirt with a Confederate flag with a noose going down the center of the flag when he goes to vote in the Deep South and think nobody will notice it or give it a 2nd thought.

I think what probably happened, he forgot to take into consideration the fact that almost everybody has a camera on their phone now-a-days, and sure enough, somebody snapped his picture and now he and his family could possibly have to go into hiding for his own personal safety and the safety of his family.

What that man says and does and the words and symbols he puts on his t shirt for public consumption says way more about him and the type of person he is than it says about the groups of people he so passionately dislikes that he wants to turn other folks against those groups of people, as well.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:44 AM

168 posts, read 141,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It's his way of letting a large portion of his constituency to see him and that he has their back. Unless he's just downright stupid or looking for trouble, he should have known better as a public official, than to wear a t shirt with a Confederate flag with a noose going down the center of the flag when he goes to vote in the Deep South and think nobody will notice it or give it a 2nd thought.
He's an employee at a hospital.... where did you get he is a public official? Just having a job now makes you a public official?

Old 11-09-2018, 10:11 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,269,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I had to laugh:

Yeah. That's a 'wrong situation', alright.
You can't get caught in the wrong situations if you aren't in the wrong situations.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
except when it go's contrary what you believe .
Isn't that the way the world works! White, Hispanic or Asian guys could have delivered the beat down too.

Up into the 80s, society did a decent job a policing itself, do something stupid, people would call you out. Family, friends and community kept their own inline, someone should have told him, "idiot, don't wear that in public."

The real victims here are his family (if he has one), he just gave up a $60k or $70k job and will never work in a professional job in the south (or likely anywhere else) again.

Last edited by viverlibre; 11-10-2018 at 07:56 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 08:09 PM

3,698 posts, read 2,837,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashington View Post
He's an employee at a hospital.... where did you get he is a public official? Just having a job now makes you a public official?
You're right. I seen DA in the thread title and I thought he must be a "district attorney". My mistake. I misunderstood. Sorry about that.

Regardless, he works at a hospital and should have known better than to wear a racist shirt to vote and expect nobody to say anything. I wouldn't want him near anybody in my family who was sick and in the hospital where he works. He's obviously about 2 beers short of a 6 pack, in other words, he ain't all there. He shouldn't be in a job that requires him to deal with the general public, even if the job is sacking groceries.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:15 PM

3,323 posts, read 4,582,000 times
Are you guys sure he didn't mean it as an ANTI-racist protest against the State Flag and the history behind it? It wouldn't be the first time that anti-racist virtue-signaling backfired against someone like that.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Are you guys sure he didn't mean it as an ANTI-racist protest against the State Flag and the history behind it? It wouldn't be the first time that anti-racist virtue-signaling backfired against someone like that.

GG good angle, I didn't think about that. It's a stretch, but possible. At any rate, he should probably play it that way now. He needs to hire you as his PR person.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:48 AM

18,616 posts, read 10,932,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
If he hadn't been fired as a cop and caught with a 17 year old in a hot tub, that point may be under consideration.
If forced to brand this guy as either a dumb-ass or an irony-based protestor who is too sophisticated for most observers, I'm going with the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi